Tires-Track-Speed-Nascar?

Discussion in 'Wolfman's Nascar Pit Stop' started by screen, Oct 16, 2005.

1. screen

screen New Member

State:
    Sterling, Illinois
    Well, who's falt is it this time that caused the drivers to drive in an unsafe race?

Was it:
    A- tires
    B-track
    C-speed
    D-Nascar
    E-all of the above

In my opinion the race of Oct 15,2005 it could be E or was it A and B? You deside?

One thing for sure in retrospect it made for an interesting race - the drivers had to drive, and I mean DRIVE like a true race driver - The team with the best strategy and driving skills Won - I, myself was hopeing he would crash like Stewart and it would tighten up the Chase with only 5 to go! Now the chase is on with 8 of the 10 in stricking distance and the last two arn't out of it by no means!

So! At this point who will win the Chase? (Not who you favor to win but who has what it takes plus luck to win?)

2. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    The answer to your question is: The fault lays in the hands of the pit crews and what they are doing to the air pressure in the tires. Nascar and Goodyear hand out a preferred air pressure to run in the tires before a race starts, after that the pit crews mess with the air pressure to free up the car or tighten it up.

3. wolfman

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    I think that Jimmie Johnson will get on a roll here in the last 5 races and finally get the championship.

4. quadman

quadman New Member

State:
    Danville, Virginia
    Walt I would normally agree with you but not in this case. Everyone did all they could to make this race safe. Even Goodyear had no idea what pressures to run because this was the very first time these cars had been run on this new surface. Atleast under race conditions anyways. They said that the surface was nowhere near the way it was back earlier in the year. Honestly to tell the truth the blame in my opinion was on NASCAR. They knew the track was unsafe from the last resurfacing, why the heck would they think it would be better with more? They had ample time to switch the schedule to another track, I mean come on, even the guys that tested a month or so back said it was dangerous! They sacrificed the drivers safety for profit and thats BS no matter how you spell it!

5. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Did you know that restrictor plates are always in the Winston cup trailer?
    They always have them just in case they need, want, or deem them necesaary at any track.
    How they could work on short notice baffles me. it's not just a matter of bolting the thing on. Might not be alot of wrecks as there would be burnt pistons.

Options are being considered for repaving. Some of them are variable banking and different colors of ashalt for the two different grooves.
    conceivably they could have a black grove and a maroon groove.

I dont think it's anyone's fault as I don't think there was anything that everyone didnt know after a round or two of practice.
    Some teams are notorious for running real low pressures trying to find a balance. Some chassis are are less responsive to change then others ( no two chassis are identical ).

I just hope they have a little something more figured out before I go tooling around that track at 165+ mph next month :D

The race to me was interesting for a change. there was definately an advantage to going slower then faster.

But what a change it was for the drivers who complained nonstop about bumpy Charlotte and a tire blowing smooth Charlotte. You would think with the money these guys make they would know and understand money does not buy a perfect world.
    Give em hell Humpy!

6. ohiocattracker

ohiocattracker New Member

State:
    Cincinnati Ohio
    I agree with a few of you guys but you also have to look at this track was made for speeds around 170 when it was built i heard Saddlers track record was 193 at them speeds i dont even think they could have run truck tires like they did in real old days at Darlinton and them not blow.Also i did not watch race i listened on radio and they had Wheeler on he said he didnt think there was a thing wrong with the track i agree all this money and new technology has these cars way above the tracks they run on like F1 Cart and IRL.I also heard on radio during race that Nascar had told teams and where checking air presure that was late in race when Stewert was leading and they mandated air presure they called that late in race to try and fix it and Stewert was on those air presures when he lost it backed it aginst the wall also they said there would be fines and points took if you wernt using that air presure.Even at start of race cars had tire problems before 30 lap caution that Nascar mandated.I dont think low air presure had that much to do with that many problems.I real wish they would cut them spoilers down about 3or4 inchs or off lol.So i quess you could say its a combination of problems.

7. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Nascar claimed they didnt threaten taking points or fining with the air pressures. I think that is something a crew chief blasted off about.
    It would be mighty hard to check the pressure in a blown tire with a straight face.

8. ohiocattracker

State:
    Cincinnati Ohio
    Might have been they where saying that nascar was putting a offical in ever pit to make sure i just find it funny they would do that during a race.But your most likely right just bad info but Mark you know Nascar wouldnt admit to anything lol.They also said Stewert said after he hit the wall that he told his crew cheif to tell Nascar thanks for air presures because they where told to change them.And im sure they where teams asking Goodyear during race what presure to run or try.I think cars are just to fast for that new resurfacing and where pushing the limits before they did it.

9. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Yea, if they keep on they'll have to take Charlotte of the list.
    Remember IRL at Charlotte? 220 MPH laps and fans killed ended that before it got started good.
    Nothing wrong with having to slow down to win a race, it puts a little more driver into the equation.
    Seen em use that theory many times at several tracks on the last lap in the last turn. :D

10. capt.kirk

capt.kirk Guest

my thoughts on that race.the crew chief and the pit crews get paid big
    $$$$$$$$$$$ to adapt to problems that come up,also tony stewart was not
    a victim of a faulty tire his tire had a cut and the same goes for mike waltrip
    he was not having any tire problems his tire also had a cut,i think nascar
    and goodyear should have kept their nose out of the problem and let the
    crews make whatever adjustments they thought would solve the problem.
    KIRK :rolleyes:

11. screen

screen New Member

State:
    Sterling, Illinois
    On inside nascar Mikeeee said he was just fine (no tire problems) untill they made him tight with added air -

On the sunday night Dave Dispain show the Goodyear tech rep. said for the speeds Nascar run especialy in the turns they should be running a wide tire like Champ, IRL and F1 - The teams were the problem - all others involved tried there best to temp. fix a track that the teams new needed resurfacing - they also saw a Busch race the night before -

Ok! back to the question at hand: I believe Stewart will get his second championship and Mark will finish his career with another second - something to be said here: Mark stuck with Jack - he has been loyal and it has payed some dividens in his late career - If he had gone to Hendrick or others years ago he would have had two maybe three championships by now -

12. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    In news reports it was said that Mike Helton came close to pulling the plug on the race at the halfway point. I guess after further review from the money hauler he reconsidered. :D

I never understood Mark Martin not leaving Rousch racing when he was obviously playing second or third fiddle at times. His crew chief being snatched out from under him.
    But on the other hand he knew he could stay as long as he wanted to where as if he went somewhere else at his age he would have had to produce results and the contract wouldnt be as good a deal.

Me personally I like Martin. I think he is one of the better drivers but I prefer a more aggressive driver. I like to see them mix it up on the track and make some brazen moves once in awhile.
    Mark just hangs his hand out the window a little too much for me.

13. ohiocattracker

State:
    Cincinnati Ohio
    I agree with Kirk that Nascar should have stayed out of it once race started and let teams and driver deal the best they could.Yea MarkJ i agree Martin just isnt aggressive enough on or off the track.I like him but i think he should defend the spot more aggressively on the track.And with his personality the way it is (very nice guy) im not sure if he left Roush he would have won a title but then too he was more aggressive back in early 90s.

14. capt.kirk

capt.kirk Guest

i am a tony stewart fan he is a very gifted driver,as far as mark martin goes
    he is one of the most experienced drivers left,i would be happy to see him
    win a championship before he quits,he has paid his dues and is a gentleman
    i belive it was MARK J who said if he had not ran so many bush races he
    probably have 1 or more to his credit,i think he he most likely correct, you
    cannot serve 2 masters.it is like playing a musical instrument,you may play
    2 very well,but you will only become a master if you choose 1.
    KIRK :)

15. screen

screen New Member

State:
    Sterling, Illinois
    With five races to go who looks good?

Stewart is in rare form and with a pole I think he is going to be hard to beat!

Even though Gordon isn't in the Chase he looks better prepared then Johnson this week -

Kenseth - The sleeper for the week!

Rusty - could be his breakout week - he is due for a win!

Mark- ????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

This is the week that will define the chase - up to now it is too close to call!
    Maybe Kenseth was right by not giving Busch 5 points - Do you think we will go to Florida (If it's still there) with five drivers who could win? Do 8,9 or 10 have a chance? OH! who's going to be 11, real race going on there too?

16. capt.kirk

capt.kirk Guest

the driver of the #20 car is the man in black reincarnated.i sure there are
    a lot of different thoughts on this subject.
    KIRK :eek:

17. wolfman

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    You are correct, the resurfacing of the track to make the cars faster did play a role in making the race unsafe. I didnt know that the track was unsafe from the previous resurfacing before this last one. I just think that the crew chiefs have a lot of pressure on them from their drivers to make the cars faster, and will do what it takes to gain that comptitive edge. :)

18. screen

screen New Member

State:
    Sterling, Illinois
    Stewart has a short lead but Johnaon is close - Bad luck has been the order of the day for some more chase'es - look like it could be a down to the wire for at least two -

Will S & J stay lucky (That means without a mishap) because both team are on the mark?

Are the bottom feeders 6-10 out of it?

Or is there still time for anyone to win the chase?

Question: Do you think the race's are looking more like Sat. night at your local dirt track? More use of the body than skill or car to pass -and! - Is it just me or are there some drivers doing things to help there team mate, ie: rusty bumped by Bush(5) to end a good run today and this kind of thing has been going on the last six races - Or is this just racing LOL HaHaHa!!!

19. wolfman

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    I think its pretty much down to the top 4 with 4 to go, but think Johnson will take the championship.

20. ohiocattracker

State:
    Cincinnati Ohio
    I think Johnson and Stewert both will have a bad finsh before its over and maybe let Newman and Biffle back in there.I would like to see Roushes most under rated driver win it Biffle but i think Stewert may become even more aggressive know since he can taste it and walk away the Champ.I do belive Stewert is the best all around driver on the circiut at this time.