Tires for Diesel Pickup

Discussion in '4X4 Truck Talk and Repairs' started by GMC FishHauler, May 26, 2009.

1. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    I have to get new tires in the next couple of months. It might seem kind of funny to ya'll but the only new tires I have ever bought for a truck were some serious mud grips for my Blazer.
    I am looking for more of a hiway tread for this next set. I am wanting tires that are quiet, have good traction on pavement and boat ramps, and that do not roadwalk.
    Right now I am leaning towards the Yokohama Geolander A/T-S
    http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Yokohama&tireModel=Geolandar+A/T-S

Does anyone have experience with this tire? Or are there any other opinions of good tires for a 3/4 ton pickup?

2. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    James i,ve had good luck with B F G,s - at,s in past decent price long mileage , good all around tire highway ,sand ,lite mud

3. GMC FishHauler

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    I had bad luck with them before (bought used)
    They can not take the rocks like a Michelin can, if I go with BFG I will be using one of their hiway treads.
    Thanks for the reply

4. GMC FishHauler

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    The BFG at's I had were just the 6ply though, not the 10ply that I need with this truck. Maybe that will make a big difference

5. racinrodes88

racinrodes88 New Member

State:
    Marion, SC
    what kinda diesel do u have most tire companys dont use 6 8 10 ply they go by load range C D E load range E is the strongest tire thats what i was putting on diesel trucks at wal mart uniroyl liberater at load range E good looking tire and quit and ride good i have a 2005 F 250 power stroke on 37s i have bfgs on that there ok be glad when they where out and can put different ones on there

6. Holmes

Holmes New Member

State:
    South Caro
    i got a set of genarls at and am realy impressed with them. they have a litle road slick when new but after it goes away(about a month) they have plenty of traction. mine on a 1 ton chevy and they are 10 ply load range e

7. GMC FishHauler

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    Load Range E is a 10 ply tire.
    I have 2002 GMC 2500HD. My driving is 50/50 city/hiway. With most of my hiway miles having a boat hooked up.

8. Holmes

Holmes New Member

State:
    South Caro
    if most are towing then i would go with e range tire will make a big difference i know that. my other trucks run run run f range tires but they are 19.5 on my wreckers. :wink:

9. brownie525

brownie525 New Member

State:
    Nj

i am running a set of general grabber at's and they are a great tire!! general makes good tires and they are priced really well, cheaper the bfg's

10. Todd Strong

Todd Strong Active Member

State:
    Cambridge, Ne
    James, There for a few years I was getting 12-16 months from tires. They didn't wear uneven, cup or wear the sides they just flat didn't cut the mustard. I am running a 2000 dodge 2500 with the cummings. I tryed kellys, BF Goodrich, coopers and Yokahama. 15-17000 I needed tires. They wear all 10 ply tires, I ran across some tires made by Nitto, They are called Terra Grapplers, they are more an all terrian, but they ride nice and have good traction. I have had these on four 3 1/2 years and 41000 miles and I will have to get new ones this fall, but they have been great. You might check out Nitto, Little pricey but no different than BF Goodrich.

11. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I personally love NITTO TERRAGRAPPLER, they are GREAT TIRES !

12. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    You took the words right outta my mouth..:big_smile:, I used to use the BFG mud terrains when we had our hunting lease & had good success with tread wear
    & mileage but since I don't go off road as much, I switched to the Nitto Terra Grapplers, they give excellent tread wear, good traction & they are less $$$ than the BFG's.

13. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    I sale tires and the Nittos are an excellent choice. If your looking for something to last a little longer and a little less aggresive try the toyo open country a/t. we sale more of them then we do goodyears, and have had better luck.

fyi: each letter is 2 ply excluding I(c=6, d=8, e=10...)

If you find a deal on some tires and would like me to do a price comparison on them send me a message. or if you have questions about warranty issues are treadwear ratings im pretty much here all day needing something to do