tires and rims

Discussion in '4X4 Truck Talk and Repairs' started by SGTREDNECK, Sep 11, 2009.

1. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    So I am looking to replace the tires on my 2003 dodge ram 1500 4x4 single cab. I am also going to replace the rims. I want to go back down to 15" or 16". But I have a question what size tires can I fit on there with no lift. Anyone know without a dought if I can fit 33's on there? 33x15.5 on 8.5 rims should fit. or should I just stick with 31"? Thanks for the help in advance. And do you know of any online deals on tire packages?

2. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    I have a 34 inch spare tire that will likely be 36 inch by spring.:smile2:

3. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    I would check with a good wheel/tire shop. A lot of your newer trucks come with 17 and 18 inch wheels to clear bigger brakes. Just saying, before you buy 15 or 16 inch wheels, check to make sure they will clear the brakes.

4. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    I would stick to the smaller tire,just because you can fit a bigger tire in the wheel well,does not assure you of clearance when the road gets rough without hitting/rubbing the tire when things flex,unless you always drive on nice smooth roads,it also doesn't leave much room for debris and whatnot that the tire may sling around and can cause stuff to become wedged between your tire and fender. If you still want bigger tires add a lift,and don't forget the torque you are losing with bigger tires. Kinda depends on what you are using the truck for. I usually move a couple tire sizes up from stock recommended size and never have any problems,start changing tire size too much and then you have to beef up everything else to handle the increased stress on it.

5. chris_ce

chris_ce New Member

State:
    Indiana
    You will have to stay with the 17s unless you go bigger wheels. It is also best to stay within a few inch's of tire width to wheel width. In other words you will need at least a 12 inch wide wheel to run 15.5 tires. I have seen people run a lot wider tires than rims and the usually roll tire tire off the rim when aired down. Also running that wide of a tire without a big offset wheel will kill your turning radius and rub you tires on the suspension on tight turns.

Here is a tire fitment guide for you.

http://www.fourwheeler.com/techarticles/wheels/129_0908_4x4_truck_tire_fitment_guide/index.html

6. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    16s will hit your calipers, and these fellars are right about the width as well..most folks dont realize how wide a 12 inch tire is until its on the ground and they try and turn..most rubbing issues are from the width, not so much the height. also consider if you get a different wheel, try not to get an extreme backspacing unless you have the lift to clear it..further that wheel sticks out the quicker its going to rub unless you get over it.

7. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I am running 33's on the stock rims right now. Just dont remember the width. I believe the are 12.5 and on 8 inch rims. They could be 10.5 tho.I haven't had any rubbing issues yet. This is the only truck I have had that I haven't lifted so I am not sure what I can clear for tires. Thanks for the fitment guide. The 17" rim sucks for replacing tires, its an odd size so usually a little more pricey.

8. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    17s beens tock ond dodges since 03 so they arent so bad anymore..what size would you be looking for? PM me for an idea of what they should cost..thats what i do

9. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    tirerack.com is about the cheapest and they have about all brands and prices.

10. Az Birddog

Az Birddog New Member

State:
    Tucson, Az.
    I'm thinking a 2 inch lift and 35's sounds about right :wink:.

11. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    hell why just 2"??? lets link it and sky it on super singles

12. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    If i could afford it I would be rolling 44's again. What I would give to be young without bills again:big_smile:

13. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    reps to that for sure!!

14. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
  15. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    you can prolly fit 33's but not if they are 15.5 wide. That is a wide a$$ tire. Something abut 10-11 wide on an 8 inch rim would prolly be a good bet.

As far as the rim diameter I doubt that you will be able to go much if even smaller than stock. Most trucks have bigger wheels now to clear bigger brakes. Unless you wanna clearence your calipers you are gonna have to stay at stock size.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2009
  16. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    stock tires are around 32"..33s shouldnt be much of an issue...now on my dodge it was dropped about 13 inches and i had to tub the firewall to clear 29"s :big_smile::smile2: