Tired of the same 'ole...

Discussion in 'Bass Fishing' started by C_wernett, Mar 6, 2007.

1. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I like catching bass, I just find it too easy. I've never had a problem catching bass, so I'm changing the way I fish for them. I will now target them with fly gear nearly exclusively unless fishing tournaments. Anyone out there have any tips on decent gear at decent prices that would work best for me?

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Nope, not me. I am a dedicated cat man (Unless they are not biting). Read an article just yesterday that March produces more trophy bass than any other month of the year. The are feeding to get ready for the spawn and are full of eggs. So, if you have to forsake cat fishing, March is the month to do it.

3. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    I do not fish for Bass at all. I do not have any bass gear. I do catch a striper purely by accident, while fishing for skips.

4. LiquidSteel

LiquidSteel New Member

State:
    La Vista N
    Bass fishing is cool. They make great cut bait!!!:lol:

5. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Not to jump out at anyone, I love fishing cats as much as the next guy, but I'm an all around angler, and the question was stated for anyone who might fish for bass. I.E., why I posted this in the bass forum. So saying that you don't fish for bass, doesn't exactly help anyone with a question about bass fishing. Thanks.:big_smile:

6. txthumper1691

txthumper1691 New Member

State:
    Temple, Tx.
    I love fishing PERIOD, started out mainly for bass, then, now I just fish. I have fished for Bass w/a fly rod on occasion. Never caught a big largemouth, nothing more than 1.5 lb, caught crappie, and whites and even bluegill. Now bluegill I use for bait, but bass round here is game fish, illegal to use for bait. I love to fish too much to use it for that. I take home less lg mouth than anything. I dont have any tips on what flys to use, i just try diff things, hope for th best, lol.

7. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I fish for bass every now and then, not a big bass fisherman thou.

8. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I was just asking Buddah(jay) the other day about the same thing.He gave me some great advice on fly rod/reel and using it.I'm gonna try the cheap combo from wal-mart to figure out how.Good Luck with it!

9. skeetermagnet

skeetermagnet New Member

State:
    Edmond, Oklahoma
    You are going to want a heavier rod, maybe a 6 weight or up. Although I have a friend who is a fly fisherman through and through who fishes for bass with a 2 weight. But it will take a rod with a bit of backbone to cast the heavier lures. I have an 8 weight that I've caught stuff as small as trout and bluegill with. It is a lot of fun. You really have to think about things differently. No more putting that 1 oz spinnerbait on and chunking it into the stickups. :smile2:

10. Stoo

Stoo New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I love fly fishin for bass with poppers. It's much like using a PopR bait. But ya have to wait till the temps get up a bit. Bucktail streamers will work till then. I have a 8 weight rod. It seems to work all around best for me. Goggle eyes and bream are fun also with spiders and such.