Tired of the paylakes, looking for advice

Discussion in 'INDIANA RIVERS TALK' started by Chris cooper, May 24, 2020.

1. Chris cooper

Chris cooper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Chris cooper
    Hey fellow catfishermen. I have been a pay lake guy for years and I want to start fishing wild water instead. I caught many big blues and flatheads over the years. I understand how to fish the rivers and have all the necessary equipment. I live down here in johnson county and needs some good spots to fish on the white river. I went to check out an accesses site on Henderson ford near Martinsville. It looked good with a decent amount of bank fishing spots. If anyone can put me on some different spots I’d appreciate it. Nothing like throwing out a big bluegill and hearing the baitrunner click. Also on a different not, if you guys have not checked out a website called whisker seeker I highly recommend. I bought some of their rattle floats and the poles I had the floats on were the only ones I hooked up on. Thanks

typer181 and Brackish*Water like this.
  2. Brackish*Water

Brackish*Water Well-Known Member

State:
    Texas
    Name:
    Wesley
    welcome to the site my friend
    its a great place
    lots of good fisherman from Indiana here
    all I have from Indiana is some trombones

3. Trophy Flathead Hunter

Trophy Flathead Hunter Well-Known Member

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Jon
    Welcome aboard Chris! Glad to hear your tired of the paylakes. If you dont mind me asking what changed your mind?

There are several public access spots to white river throughout Indiana, there might be a list on the dnr website. Alot of people like using google earth to scout out new spots, just be careful not to trespass on private property. Downtown has alot of open spaces to fish along whiteriver parkway.

Hope that helps you out some. River fishing can be challenging at times so dont give up. Hope to see pictures of some cats caught in the wild from you.

Thanks Wesley, we try anyways:cool1:

typer181 likes this.
  4. Jbuck

Jbuck Well-Known Member

State:
    il
    Name:
    Jay
    Sorry no help with the White but welcome to the USCA I think you will like it here.

typer181 likes this.
  5. Herbhome

Herbhome Well-Known Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Name:
    Neill
    Welcome Chris

typer181 likes this.
  6. typer181

typer181 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Indy
    Name:
    Eric
    Welcome Chris! Great to see another reformed pay lake fisherman. I'm one myself. It's hard to beat the convenience of pulling your car right up to the bank and fishing for big fish that you know are within casting distance.
    But I've got to say that after learning the realities of the pay lake business, and the satisfaction you get when you put in the work to catch a fish in it's natural habitat, I'd never fish a pay lake again.
    The only thing I can say about the west fork, is the more south you go the better it gets.

7. Chris cooper

Chris cooper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Chris cooper
    I’m trying to give up the paylakes because I always drop a bill or even more and never catch more than one fish. That and o think it would be much more full filling to land a big cat in its wild habitat. I prefer to throw from the bank but I’m not against a night time trip on the boat down the river. I got a 21 pound blue this weekend at the paylakes o. Some cut channel catfish but just did not get the rush you should get from a big blue. Even more Soo it sucks to pay money and catch nothing. The ex pay lake guys know what I mean. My little boy loves fishing , he’s 4 years old. I want to teach him the right way to hunt these predator fish. Thanks for all the good messages guys.

Attached Files:

8. Chris cooper

Chris cooper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Chris cooper
    If your more I knowledgeable about different places I would love to take a fishing trip and check some places out with you

9. Jbuck

Jbuck Well-Known Member

State:
    il
    Name:
    Jay
    Well Chris, I am from IL. and fish the Ohio. Now the Ohio also borders IN. and sometime in the future there is going to be an IN. gathering on the river. If I recall correct this will be the second annual gathering, there are a couple well known members from the Indy area who can provide you with a little more insight than I as I didn't get to attend last year because of family health issues but from what I have read on this site it was a great time with some really nice fish caught. The location allows for both bank and boat fishing and I would be surprised if you couldn't get at least some time in a boat if you ask around a little. Search the site for IN. Gathering 2020.

pikeintheboat and typer181 like this.
  10. pikeintheboat

pikeintheboat Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    South Central Indiana
    Name:
    Matt
    Chris-

Thanks for the honesty and glad to have you here. If you're looking for good spots on the White, I'd start by looking for some classic river structure. In the warmer months when the river flow is "normal"(meaning not raging from a storm), try looking for holes that are close to down trees that would provide cover and food. Catfish are river fish so they feel okay in some current, but are lazy for an easy meal and don't wanna fight the flow to burn energy. Might be worth a float trip in a kayak or jon boat, if you cannot get to it from the shoreline.

Public access sites are great places to start. Take it one step at a time, and keep trying. Let us know!

Matt

11. kyleco55

kyleco55 Well-Known Member

State:
    Indianapolis, In
    Name:
    Kyle Corley
    I stopped by three rivers public access site this afternoon just because I was in the area. It's on state Rd 67 just north of state Rd 39. I've not personally fished this spot in many years, but it used to produce quite well on some nice channels and flatheads. I've caught flatheads upwards of 40lbs from here before. Like I said before, that was years ago. Actually it was before it was even considered a public access site period. We'd just park along the highway and hike through the woods. The area looked decent today. It was pretty busy around the 5oclock hour, and I have a strong suspicion on how many of those anglers were even licensed. There were several that seemed nervous as I started snapping photos lol. There's a large parking area, and a well beat down walking trail that stretches about 100yards to the river. I was disappointed to find alot of trash on site, but being optimistic, maybe the people there today took it out when they left IMG_20200527_170938690_HDR.jpg IMG_20200527_170952895_HDR.jpg IMG_20200527_170950550_HDR.jpg IMG_20200527_171055904_HDR.jpg

Attached Files:

12. Brackish*Water

Brackish*Water Well-Known Member

State:
    Texas
    Name:
    Wesley