Tired Of Swivels Try The Carolina Keeper

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by Game_Of_Inches, May 18, 2007.

1. Game_Of_Inches

Game_Of_Inches New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Hey fellas couple years ago I stumbled upon a product that saved me a bunch of time Carolina rigging for bass and now I'm using it for catfishing. A Carolina keeper is a cylinder piece of rubber or plastic that has a slit in the middle that opens when you squeeze it with plyers. What you do is first slide on your weight then a bead then squeeze the keeper and slide it up your line until you leader is as long as you want it. It replaces the barrel swivel on slip sinker rigs and this also saves you two knots. The major advantage the the Carolina Keeper offers is that it allows you to adjust your leader length in a matter of seconds. This really helps me when I move from fast water to an eddy or still water because I like a short controlled leader in fast water and I like to give my bait a wider berth with a longer leader in slack water. Two ounces and down use one keeper about two to five try two keepers and I've never tried any heavier so I don't know about three or more. They run 2.59 from Bass Pro for 8 so they don't cost much. Give them a try they might just change how you fish and save you some time.

2. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Jared I have used the keepers for years in place of beads but if your fishing for catfish a swivel is a must in my book they love to roll and roll they will this will twist your line and may make it break easyer. Plus putting the keeper on a line at night got to be a plain. look at my catfish rigs in my sponsor page everything in one pack even if you dont buy them from me you can make them off when your not fishing. I can retie a rigs in a min and be ready to fish again

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47852

3. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Gotta agree. I would find it prety near impossible to fish for cats without a swivel. In all honesty I'm not so sure I'd like to see the results. LOL!

4. Game_Of_Inches

Game_Of_Inches New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I've never had a problem breaking off using the keepers but I do agree they can be a little tricky to get in the dark especially if the water has a little chop on it but once they are on the line they are a piece of cake to make. I fish mainly for flatheads and they definately don't roll like a channel of blue does so maybe thats why I haven't had the problem breaking off. I do agree that this won't replace the swivel, I still use swivels on the majority of my rigs but I do have confidence in the keepers and you move from swift to calm water spots you can't change your leader length faster than you can with these little puppies.

5. Hawk33

Hawk33 New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    never used the keeper rig, always swivels, going to have to try it.

:smile2:HAWK

6. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I just recently heard about these and my burning question is what size line will they accept? I am hoping I can use them for a bobber stop on 40 > 50# mono while fishing with an Akwolf Kat Bobber.

7. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have used the Carolina keeper for sometime now. I can take it or leave it. I like the swivel which can take the twist our of lines.

8. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    That's the main reason for using a swivel is to keep your line from twisting. How does the keeper do that?

9. koakley1

koakley1 New Member

State:
    Kansas

Yeah, I like the bobber stop idea. I don't think I'll ever give up using swivels

10. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    I have 4 or 5 packs of the Carolina Keepers in my bass tackle box right now. They work great on lakes for bass fishing, or catfishing lakes with little or no current.
    I dunno if I would even consider them for the type of fishing I do though. As for me, fishing the Mississippi river, the with the current and the heavy weights, the slap of the sinker would just knock the keeper all the way to the hook. The whole purpose of having a swivel on the Carolina rig anyway is to eliminate line twist, and I don't see how that is possible without some type of swivel. But like I said before, no current, and light weights, they work great, but if you fish where there is alot of current stick with a swivel.:wink:

11. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    That's a great idea!! You should be able to fit 40lb mono through the keeper no problem. Why didn't I think of that? I'll have to throw some in with my FatKat bobbers.:big_smile:

12. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    What size line will they accommodate? Are they to small for 40# mono? :big_smile:

13. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    I just tested one, and I got 60# ande through it no problem. Only problem I see is since they weren't intended for heavy mono, they don't quite have the bite to the heavier line, but then again, there is a big difference it 60# and 40#. They still should have more bite than a regualar bobber stop.:wink:

14. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    I just thought of something, they won't work for a bobber stop unless you don't plan on fishing them very deep. They are about 1/4" in diameter, and they won't fit through the guides.

15. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thanks a lot Gary. I'm not bringing them through the eyes. I fish from Loanwizards boat. I can fish my long poles with eight foot hanging and still cast to the spots well. I usually only fish about 2 to 3 feet deep.