Tired of losing sinkers & hooks

Discussion in 'ARKANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by hirotamus, Aug 21, 2009.

1. hirotamus

hirotamus New Member

State:
    AR
    I am losing lots of sinkers fishing at the tailwater of dams. I mainly used 2 oz bank sinkers. I don't have a big pole like most people do so I can't put a heavy sinker (4-6 oz) on it. The reason I prefer smaller pole because of the fight. I use a main line of 20lbs tied to a 2 oz sinker at the end. My hook is about 24" from the end of the line and I used a dropper loop for my hook. When it gets snagged I would pull hard but the weird thing is I lost the hook and sinker so i don't know if it's the hook that got snagged or the sinker or because of the dropper loop hook setup. Anyone with experience fishing at the dams can give me some tips? Buying a new longer pole is out of the question. Thanks.

2. kyleco55

kyleco55 Well-Known Member

State:
    Central In
    WELCOME to the BOC john!! youll learn alot of great advice on this site, and meet some wonderful people here too!

You minght try using a 3-way swivel, and attach a lighter line to the sinker. this way, if the sinker gets caught up, it will break before your main line thats holding your hook.

another thing, if its the hook getting caught up and not the sinker, try out a carolina rig. If your not familiar with this rig, its pretty simple. put slide sinker on your line, then a bead (if you want), then tie on a swivel. from the bottom of the swivel, tie a lighter leader than your main line, and then put your hook on the end

:0a26:

3. bedbug jr

bedbug jr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Hello John and welcome to the BOC. You'll find lots of good information on here and a friendly bunch of guys and gals. Stay safe and good fishing!!!:wink:

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Welcome to the BOC. Check out the sponsors web site,Wild Wolf products and the Fat Kat Bobbers. This way you can float the bait off the bottom, in heavy current. Rigging videos can be found on the site.

5. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    John if you are lossing at lot of tackle ,it sounds like you are fish,n in the rite spots anyways :wink::smile2:

6. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Welcome to the BOC John. Fortunately i've only really fished below a dam for skipjack to use as bait. If you get hung.. unless its a real deep area of rocks that are bunched up it would just be the hook.. CAN sometimes be the sinker but most of the time it's not. I'm just lettin tiy know my experience at the lake.:wink: What rig do you commonly use?

7. hirotamus

hirotamus New Member

State:
    AR
    I used a 3-way swivel rig with a 2 oz sinker.

8. hirotamus

hirotamus New Member

State:
    AR
    I used the carolina rig before and still lost the same amount of sinkers & hooks. I noticed people used bead along with swivel. What does that do? I usually just put a slip sinker and a swivel and it works fine. I am not sure what purpose the bead serve?

9. catman79

catman79 New Member

State:
    iowa
    if you use a bead on a slip sinker set up it prevents the sinker from hitting and weakening your knot.for your situation i would suggest a little bit lighter sinker off the 3 way or even as a slip,use a no roll maybe that will help also

10. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Yeah mine is the barrel swivel rig. I only use it.. You May try it out sometime.

11. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    i been fishing below dams for over 50 years and there is no rig you can use that will stop you from losing them.if the water is flowing your weight is going to move enough to get hung uo and then your hook and bait will follow suit.thats just the way it is but when a fish gets on he will pull it all lose dont ask how or why but it happens.i lose over 50% of all rigs that i try to get back without a fish on.get use to it if the fish are biting its well worth it.

12. Sound

Sound New Member

State:
    Arkadelphi
    I had a good Friday night. Lost lil over a pound of lead and 4 gama's. Best part, 0 fish lol. Still fun though!

13. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC John.

14. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Welcome to the B.O.C. John, Enjoy your stay here.

15. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    Welcome to the BOC.Thats all part of fishing to me.

16. Rohaus

Rohaus Well-Known Member

State:
    Vilonia Ar
    Welcome to the BOC John. If you figure out to quit losing your rigs please let us know.LOL, because I sure have not figured it out.

17. indycatman

indycatman New Member

State:
    Greenwood, Indi
    welcome to the boc john :tounge_out::tounge_out::tounge_out: yes you will always lose your rig when fishing river i lose bout 50% of my rigs to and i use a carolina rig i use a bank flat sinker and i still lose my rig yes if you get hung leave it the fish will pull out of being hung up

18. hirotamus

hirotamus New Member

State:
    AR
    That's what I am afraid. I guess I don't mind losing the sinkers. What bothers me is I lost sinkers & hooks everytime. :angry:

19. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    WELCOME to the BOC . Losing weights and hooks seem to be part of dam fishing or fishing heavy cover in rivers . If you dont want to float the bait you might want to get a heavier rod and reel so you can throw 6 to 8 ounce sinkers . You will still lose a fair share of them though . If the current is really ruff a no roll is the sinker to use for sure . I would go with the break away sinker rig that way you are not losing the hook and leader also . I always fish a carolina rig myself . My son in law when fishing the river puts his weight on the bottom of the line with 14 pound or less break away leader , so he only loses the sinker . Why he does this I dont know cause they are my sinkers ......lol

20. primitive

primitive Member

State:
    Dav. Ia.
    Last couple times out I have tried to let the anchor rope out till I am just a few feet above a root ball or log jam, then letting the sinker drop straight down and when it stops bring it up a few inches while in the rod holders. You gotta be fast to grab the rod and it's hard to get it out of the rod holder if it's a big one. I haven't lost nearly as many rigs as when I throw out above a root ball. If we knew what was down there we probably wouldn't cast a line there at all. That's why the flatheads lay there. Snag city.