tired of cussing a 4-stroke

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by roughneck30, Feb 12, 2009.

1. roughneck30

roughneck30 New Member

State:
    texas
    Fella's i got a 2007 15 hp mercury 4-stroke i've cussed and kicked till my toes hurt. The problem is i can get it to start and run at an open throttle but i cant get the dang thing to idle. iI bought it from a friend and I know it ran rihgt in November cause i ran it. Put it up last fall and now it wont idle. Any and I do mean any help would be appreciated. Thanks

2. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Probally in the fuel system for sure. Check filter first then it is on to the carbs.

3. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Low side jet of the carb is stopped up. The jets in 4-strokes have small jets. And stop up easy. Get the carb cleaned. Then keep Staybill in the gas. You may get lucky and run Seafoam through a tank of gas. If your lucky it may clean it up.
    Pete

4. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I second the motion on SeaFoam, it's good stuff.

5. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    I second the cleaning of the carbs. I would take the carb completly apart soak them then put them back together to make sure you get all the junk cleaned out.

Tom

6. larry d. grady

larry d. grady New Member

State:
    north caro
    hi joe,you probably just need to take the carb apart and just soak it in carb cleaner for a day,wash it off with water blow it out with compressed air put it back together.should fix your problem.you may have to get a kit but don't be afraid of the job its pretty simple,idle circuit is probably stopped up from setting.hope this helps.

7. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I agree That should do it!

8. roughneck30

roughneck30 New Member

State:
    texas
    I took the carb apart and thought I got it cleaned out but apparently not. anyopinions on what to soak it in? thanks for all the help.

9. slider

slider New Member

State:
    louisiana, mo
    after ya get it clean get a 10 micron filter and put it between the tank
    and the carb

10. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    You have to take the idle jet out to clean it. Just taking the carb off and the bowl. Will not do it, I did the same thing to a 25 yamaha 4 stroke I had. Be careful of any carb cleaner. As it does not do well with rubber or plastic parts.
    Those parts need to be removed before dipping in cleaner.
    Pete

11. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    You may need to use a bit of compressed air, as the solvent itself may not be enough. Yahmaha makes a good product called "Ring-ER-Free", you can use it to clean with & put into the fuel system.

HTH, Elliot

12. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Completely dissemble that thing and take the rubber and plastic thingys off and soak it in berry man carb cleaner all nigh and then blow it out with compressed air. Use a rebuild kit and rebuild it. This is why I drain my carbs in the winter.

13. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    I had exactly the same problem in a Johnson 15 horse,, I ordered a carb kit, and when I got it, removed and disassembled the carb completely,, in any suspicious areas, I ran a piece of mono through it,, came up with some trash in some of the ports and orifices, cleaned it up, blew it out, reassembled and ,,,Look at that thing GO!!!

14. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    I'm no good at cleaning carbs, i let the pros take care of that, but once you get it clean:

Put a fuel water separator/ fuel filter on the fuel line
    Keep stabil or seafoam in the tank at all times

This is the advice of the yamaha dealer where i bought my 2 stroke. I heard them talking to a few people buying 4 strokes. As has already been mentioned, the dealer said that the 4 strokes become easily clogged with trash and water in the fuel.

15. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    We aint burning the same gas we used to.

16. roughneck30

roughneck30 New Member

State:
    texas
    Folks, I thank yall for all the help. trying to get it ready for this spring on the sabine. them big blues make me crazy. You know its funny what a fellow will go through to catch a fish.

17. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    AMEN BROTHER!!!!