Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright ill start off by I'm new to the site I have dropped by on ocassion to see where people are catchin the big boys at. Every weekend I'm down below truman dam fishin usually friday night all the way thru saturday afternoon and I would say the past 3 to 4 weeks have been nothin but dink cats regardless wich side. The bigest cat I caught was a channel around 8 to 10. All there hittin is a shad side cut about the width of ur finger haven't touched a head. So what I'm getting at is why aren't they there yet? Are they feeding on the flats? You think you would luck into one every now and then but from everyone I've talked to down there has either caught nothin but small ones or nothin at all.

· Registered
210 Posts
I do ok on sides,but all my biggest fish have came on the heads! I beleave you fish for bites you catch dinks ,you can get lucky and get a biggin once in a while. if you want a biggin you have to fish for one, take a hole shad alive hook it through the nose on one rod, use a head on another . fish for a biggin and stop dinkin around !!!

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes I agree with you heads are the best! However this year all are big fish have been on sides I have thrown out live shad, gills, and other fish with nothin. We are catchin more cats on jigs then shad. Oh well I figure when its starts gettin hot and they open up the flood gate to put some oxygen in the water they will move back in. Oh ya before they put the buyos back up we were castin up towards the dam tryin to bounce it off the wall and once again nothin big.

· Registered
550 Posts
Yes I agree with you heads are the best! However this year all are big fish have been on sides I have thrown out live shad, gills, and other fish with nothin. We are catchin more cats on jigs then shad. Oh well I figure when its starts gettin hot and they open up the flood gate to put some oxygen in the water they will move back in. Oh ya before they put the buyos back up we were castin up towards the dam tryin to bounce it off the wall and once again nothin big.
Even if the buyos are not up you can still get a ticket for casting up that direction, that is what i herd from a guy who fished up there regulary, i know someone on here knows the rule or has herd of it besides me. Its is a crazy rule for sure going off of an imaginary line but it is what it is, just thought i would give you the heads up!

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes flatheaddreaming you are correct I think its $110. However aloooooot of people do it people does some pretty crazy things up there like jumpin the fence to fish or fishin in the parkin lot right next to the dam 3 weeks ago 3 kids were up there snaggin haulin in a lot of spoonbill But before they could leave got busted!---- I have been doin quite a bit of thinkin I've heard a lot of people say big bait big fish we catch a lot of our big fish on a head or side no bigger than a half dollar I think I'm gonna try to cut a shad a little less than half and see what happens. Oh ya by the way if a storm is movin in down at the lake take shelter last weekend were on the dog and got shocked not very bad but enough for 4 of us to drop are rods!

· Registered
718 Posts
i'd try a few things . the easy things first.... target out your fishing hole carefully try casting @ the edge of the fast water so your bait is in the zone just outside that fast water they are ambush predators the big ones that is this is a prime zone for day time dam / river fishing .. lets say you have 3 rods ... cast one far out to the farthest ZONE you can reach. (zone being prime target spots) eddies and stops where the current or flow of the water stops or slows down this gives fat boys a spot to ambush bait fish moving in that fast water heavy sinker or no roll or spunik helps hold the bottom. then cast next one with live bait your choice ( how i chose bait is what ever i see in the area swiming about use native baits . cast to the deepest known point in your location or to a log jam or snag . cast the 3rd one to the closest zone to you with a belly section of the cut bait squeeze the guts out a lil and trim off any fins that may poke a cat's mouth use hooks that fit the size of the bait.. if this does not work..... consider chanding your rigs up to either off the bottom or on the bottom what ever you are not doing now .. hope this helps. frozen shiners cut in half are my first go to bait they work great here in florida fallowed by live 2 inch blue gill or cut blue gill as bait. 3way swivels are your friend ..

nite time calls for shallow water zones again eddies and current brakes hold fish day and nite but get out of the deep water and target shallow spots with cover or structure cats cruze the shallows at nite to feed keep this in mind ..... all that said i just bait up with a good peice and give a hail marry cast to a random spot and leave it set and wait for magic to happen LOL this is how i catch most of my fish ... when i try to recall where i casted its 90 percent of the time a target zone that i failed to identify so i just add up all the past exp. when fishing and there you have it ... gl and welcome to the family

· Registered
50 Posts
It will start getting real good next week. I will be down there for sure. I think they will open up the gates in a few days and that will be primetime. They are gonna want to drop the lake fast since the kansas lakes that dump into the same river system(marais des cyges/Osage)are pretty high and they need to release water too. Those big blues will be in there once the gates have been open for a bit. I think alot of the big Blues have filled up on Spoonbill scraps too over the last few weeks of season. About time for Flatheads to get kickin too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.