Tired of being skunked

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by fishhunter, Jul 18, 2006.

1. fishhunter

fishhunter New Member

State:
    lagrange,mo
    Fellas i need some help. Does anyone want to go fishing with me and show me what i'm doing wrong? i spend hour after hour fishing and i just can't figure them cats out. i think i'm fishing the right spots but i'm not really sure anymore. i'm trying to fish the deep holes with ledges around them i'm trying wing dykes and i'm trying to hit the brush. nothings working. i'm using shad and gills nothing is working i'm getting really frustrated. i could really use some help. heck if someone wants to go fishing i'll go with you and just watch and learn. i just need to learn exactly where to fish and see what i've been doing wrong.

2. PeZ

PeZ New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Ill let you go with me but u can only watch no touching the poles wouldnt want ur bad luck wearin off on my gear :)

3. PeZ

PeZ New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    seriously i havent caught a catfish in 2 months dont feel bad carp sure perch millions bass all day i have to go to the store to get a catfish latley too

4. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    I like the fish part of fishin too!!

I'm in NE Ohio and will not start back up till it starts cooling off a bit up here in late Aug. here in Ohio for the Big Cats. To me its when where n how and its not the when part right now.

I drive 3 hrs round trip for the Tabby Cats.

5. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    The first thing I would do is start using alot of different types of bait like eels, chicken livers, nightcrawlers, native cut and whole fish to the area. Good luck to you, don't give up!

6. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Fishhunter, it'd help if you told us what part of the state you were in. Maybe update your profile with a little more information than just "MO".

There's lots of guys here who'd be happy to take you out - just need to know where you're at first!

7. fishhunter

fishhunter New Member

State:
    lagrange,mo
    sorry about that i live in northeast mo. the little town of lagrange. right on the mississippi. I'm in st. louis quite often i'd love the fish down there with some of you guys

8. infantero

infantero New Member

State:
    GA
    u can't go wrong juggin and all you need is a boat and some shad

9. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    im sorry i thought yal was starting up a skunked list, so figured i needed to sign up.......lol. you arent in the boat by yourself.

10. Ellis

Ellis New Member

State:
    Yellow Springs, Ohio
    Fishhunter... The t hing your doing wrong is getting too worried. You just need to take any bait and go out there and relax. Enjoy it. And if you cant do that then listen to music:tounge_out:

11. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Jason, I have been catfishing for 30 years, I still get skunked plenty of times..Dont feel bad.

12. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    He's right! :lol: He's been skunked PLENTY in the last couple of years! :embarassed: :tounge_out:

13. truckin4x4

truckin4x4 New Member

State:
    columbus, Ohio
    hay man just hang in there. i would try to post on your state forum to see if there is any one close to you

14. Crackr

Crackr New Member

State:
    Indiana
    You're a ways from me, but I'm really in your boat. This was a terrible first half of the year from me. Like you, I try almost a 'textbook' approach to these fish, and it hasn't been working. My only request is that you do not give up the fight. Hopefully our floodgates will open up to some nice fish in the future. Good luck!

15. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    I hear what your saying and have caught Carp, Buffalo, BlueGill, and some Bass, but not one Cat yet this year. Been fishing plenty and seen the guys I'm with catch a few little ones here and there, but not me. I know it's been a slow start to the year for everyone, but it's starting to get frustrating coming back empty handed everytime. :sad2:

16. riverrat62

riverrat62 New Member

State:
    St joseph missouri
    :sad2: went fishin last nigh at about 10:30 to 2:30 in the morning in differnt spots, four differnt baits and didnt get one bite!:angry: Iam about ready to quit fishin if something dont change or if my luck dosent turn around :confused2:

17. swampthang_matt

swampthang_matt New Member

State:
    georgia
    u must have some bad luck:lol: lol

18. Fry Guy

Fry Guy New Member

State:
    Warrensburg Missouri
    And I thought it was just me:angry: I haven't caught anything over 1lb for the last few months. I kind of gave up for a little until it picks back up again. I'm going on leave back to Oregon for three weeks so when I get back maybe things will have picked up. Still have to fish my ponds to Cause I know theres some in there, seen a couple that would easily push 20lbs.

19. Coyote1

Coyote1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Brother Jason;
    How do you justify calling yourself "Skunked" when your Avatar show you holding that "Monster"???
    Skunked is when you fish and have never caught anything that would bend your pole!!!
    Man, I HOPE, even PRAY, that when my new Custom GATOR Rod gets here that I catch something like what your holding in that Avatar the first time out so I can properly "Break-In" that new rod!!!
    On a more serious note, your NOT alone, and with St. Louis posting actual temperatures of 106 degree Fahrenheit and not letting up at all until perhaps next weekend it's going to be tough all over!!
    Stick to the basics you know that have produced for you in the past, you might, as one Brother suggested, try switching the baits around to see what the "locals" are biting on. I think for right now, persistence it going to be the biggest part of the winning solution!
    I know when the heat is on, as it is now, many members take a short break until the weather cools down some more. You can bet with daytime temperatures the way they are that the "smart" Kat's are staying down DEEP in the lowest holes they can find and only coming out in the wee hours of the morning if that much!
    If you use a boat, try getting one of those Hi-Tech Sonar Toys! It will, once you learn how to read it, help you find the holes and see which ones are the deepest. I understand that the newer ones can even discriminate fish off the bottom and have a "Side Scan" type of Sonar. My guess is that these units also would cost $$$$$ too!!
    Hope this helps a little
    Fraternally and Cordially,
    Coyote1
    [[[[[End of Post]]]]]

20. Rusty

Rusty Member

State:
    Spickard Missouri
    I am new at this pc stuff but not new at fishing for cats. I fish the Missouri river a lot . I have never fished the mississippi river But I am going to fish it this fall. planning on coming to LaGrange the middle of Sept. if you would like to go fishing, contact me before then. Maybe we can learn something from each other lol...