tips

Discussion in 'Trout Fishing' started by hawgmaster, Nov 24, 2009.

1. hawgmaster

hawgmaster New Member

State:
    SE columbu
    this is my first year for fishing for trout and have went a few time but never caught anything. i was useing corn and meal worms for bait. does anyone have any tips as what else to use and what kind of things to look for to target them? any tips and tricks to the trade would be greatly welcomed!

2. puddle jumper

puddle jumper Well-Known Member

State:
    NW.Georgia
    Hey Chris,
    Think of trout fishing like you do catfishing but on a smaller scale, look for eddy pockets behind rocks, any kind of structure where they can hide out and ambush pray that floats by, I always have better luck in the fast moving water,seems like the fish have to grab it quick and dont have time to examine it like they do in slow water,,

As for what to use get a light to med spinning rod " I dont fly fish" about 5 1/2' to 6' with 6lb test and buy a bunch of different color rooster tails 1/16th and 1/8th with gold or silver spoons "no painted spoons" green, white, yellow, bodys are some of my favorits,

Start to cast in the areas above early in the morning and right at dark are best, if the water is deeper add a split shot about foot above the lure so it will get down,, and think of working a river like you would sneek up on a deer slow and quiet,, and I always like to work my way up river,and cast to the pockets and fan cast across the river, and one more thing kind of like catfishing, if your not loosing lures you probably are not fishing in the right spot,:confused2:

Hope that helps bro,,
    Good luck...:cool2:
    Puddle

3. stoney53

stoney53 Well-Known Member

State:
    PA
    berkley power bait (chartruese) and red/white dare devil spoon been working great all year for me...slowin down somewhat this time of year but still doin ok with the above

4. rwg

rwg New Member

State:
    WICHITA, KANSAS
    Well, i fish for trout the same way I crappie fish with small jigs (1/32 and 1/64 oz). Berklys small 1" power tubes and they have little 3" worms in several colors, pink, yellow , white, I have caugth a lot of trout on those worms. When I can I fish vertical on a tight line with a bobber stop on the line so I can see it move when they bite, the bobber stop also keep me at
    a certian dept. When I can't fish vertical I use a small bobber and reel the bobber and the worm on a jig head real slowly. Trout can hit the jig and be gone before you can react so you have to be on your game to get them, other times they just take it I caught and released about 30 on Sunday

5. festus

festus New Member

I've had my best luck on yellow Roostertails and the Rebel Crawfish crankbait, either the 1-1/2" or 2" size. Corn is popular and some swear by it, but I have never tried it. I've even caught them on bread balls on a tiny salmon egg hook.

In the spring a nightcrawler is very good bait.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2009
  6. mte

mte New Member

State:
    Millersville, P
    What kind of water are you fishing? Rivers, creek, pond or lake?

7. NJ CLAD

NJ CLAD New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I need more info. Lakes, rivers and creeks are all different. Boat or no boat??? Do you prefer bait or lures??? ETC.???? What kind of trout? This all plays into the answer.

8. hawgmaster

hawgmaster New Member

State:
    SE columbu
    i will be fishing in a pond/lake. from what i have heard it gets stocked every year round oct-nov with rainbow trout. my set is a medium action 7ft open face abu garcia with 4# XL line. as for bait i am used to both live and artificial. i have anywhere from jigs to spoons to spinners to crank baits. and i will be fishing from the bank.

9. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    if it is only stocked once or twice it prob gets pretty much fished out pretty quick unless it is a very large lake. but I like to use minnows and red worms. but also have alot of luck with rooster tails also.

10. mte

mte New Member

State:
    Millersville, P
    If you can fish with more than one rod try a two hook rig on one rod with small worms and power bait or velveeta cheese on the hooks. Small minnows fished below a small bobber (3/4") work well also. My favorite and most sucessful method is a fly bubble followed by a 4ft leader and use size 12 wooly buggers or any small flies you can get. Nymphs and wet flies work well. If you can't find any fly bubbles in your area a small bobber will work also, try different depths by adding split shot to your line about a foot above your line. I have used this method from the east to the high mountain lakes of Colorado. In addition to trout you will probably catch all kinds of fish. You'll be surprised at the size of bass that will hit the small streamers. Good Luck and keep us posted.
    Mike

11. oahegw

oahegw Member

State:
    So. Dakota

Shore fishing on a lake, I've had my best luck casting with a small gold and red spoon. A worm under a bobber works fine unless there is other small fish to steal your bait.

I liked Roger's tip on using a jig under a bobber and retrieved in slowly. It sound like a winner. Never tried it but will this spring. :big_smile:

12. NJ CLAD

NJ CLAD New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I'd start with a carolina rig and Power Bait. If the fish are shallow I'd try a slip bobber with some night crawlers or Velveta cheese (meal worms would be fine). Stick with small hooks. For the Power bait or cheese I'd opt for size 14 treble. For the worms I'd use a #10 single hook. Just my $.02

13. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    I was fishing today, used power bait, I was able to land one outa four. I use 4 lb line, 2 lb leader with a small weight like a split shot or 1/8 oz. I try to make my leader long enough so the power bait is above the weed level in the lake or it gets lost in there and they don't find it. I use a 18-20 trebel hook. I tried kastmasters, small hard baits, and spinners. No luck. I had artificial worms under a bobber, no luck. I'm not too good at trout fishing.

14. hawgmaster

hawgmaster New Member

State:
    SE columbu
    i finnaly was able to make it out for some trout. tried several colors of trout dough and nuggets, minnows, corn, waxworms, and some small cranks and roosters of various colors all at several depths. was out for bout 4 hrs or so. the bite was really not there at all. only bite i had was a small rainbow off the bottom with some corn bout 7 feet from the bank

15. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Trout are light biters from my experience. With the medium action rod you may be getting bit and not realizing it. Try holding your line in between your thumb and pointing finger and see if you feel a peck. I have used this method many times when they were biting light on corn with great success.

16. airdrop

airdrop New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    On pond Mmmmmm bobber is good if water is cold ,they will be closer to the top but if warm water over 55 degrees -deep. So go to the bottom , slip sinker, small hooks 8 to size 10 . they bite light as someone said so always hold the pole and finger the line as quick twitch is a must. Small worms and three or for kernels of corn , cheese with garlic rolled in it works sometimes. it's a challange from the bank I think so if you can boat try a slow jigging action at different depths is worth a try. good luck in the spring middle march,april or early may.

17. Ed1

Ed1 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I use a ultra lite rod, slip sinker, 4 lb test, and a # 10 hook with power bait. Try leaving some slack in your line and watching the line for movement.S omtimes if the feel the restance of the rod they will drop your bait. Set the hook when they start to run with the bait.

18. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    for rainbows, powerbait on a tiny treble(or size 10 if your releasing them) with a small spliotshot works. for bigger rainbows and browns a spinner like a panther martin or roostertail are good, as well as minnows. another option for trout is one of my favorite goto lures is a trout magnet, but you need to fish it on ultra light rod and 2 or 4 line.
    chip

19. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    Little jig heads..I just use regular lead heads and a twister..White works the best for me and shrinp and some times red worms...and night crawlers...Wax worm on the ice and slip float rigs i use minners

20. thefishinkid

thefishinkid New Member

State:
    Vista, Ca
    well i love to fish for trout and have been having luck with an ultra light rod with 4-6 pound test a small split shot about 2 feet above a #16 treble hook. I than use some berkley powerbait (rainbow or charturese) and cast in to coves from the shore. Also find out when ur lake is stocking and go the day after. Get there real early. The bite is allways real good the morning after they stock. This works for me all the time in southern cailfornia. Going tomorow as a matter of fact.