Tips wanted on using a freeliner

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by cook, Nov 17, 2005.

1. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    O.K.,always used a spinning reel,never had a baitcaster with a clicker/freespool mode.
    I(santa) just purchased a Penn captiva 5000 with the freeline option.

What situations do I use it in.I assume the 1 choice would be live bait for flatties at night.2 would be for finicky eaters.3 areas of light current.

Will be going to Fl. in Jan.,plan on getting a lot of pratice with it.

Also,what situation would I not wan't to use it.

2. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I have a Captiva CLL 5000 myself. I use mine for blue cats and I just cast it out, sit it in the rod holder with the liveliner engaged so when they run i can hear them. I simplely turn the handle to cut off the liveliner and let them set the hook themselves.

3. Mathersm

Mathersm New Member

State:
    Darbydale, Ohio
    I have one I use for drifting. It's not that same model. I just bought it last year so I haven't caught many fish on it. My main reel is just a simple spinning reel that I'm so used to. I know you can set the brake so that the line does not come off as easy so you can fish it medium currents.

4. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    I'm in the same boat,so to speak.Oh,well,I'll pratice and get used to it

5. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Well you dont want to use the freeline option when fishing circle hooks of course, and also it wont work well in heavy current...Other than that I cant think of any...I have several spinning reels with the freeline "baitfeeder" option, I dont use it because I fish cicle hooks....It also is a very good option when fishing for carp.

6. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Sorry Flathunter but I disagree with that. I use circles with my "baitrunner, freeliner, liveliner" style reels always and have never had any trouble hooking fish. Oh and I fish a heavy current with mine. If you have them set up right its not a problem what so ever.

7. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Riverat, when I fish circles which is always, I dont use the freeliner, or baitclicker on casting reels..I dont want the line to go out when the fish hits..I have the spools engaged and let the rod bend double before I pick it up..I have tried to freeline in heavy current where it takes up to 16-oz sinker to hold, but it always just pulls the line out when in freeline mode

8. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    I have the same problem you do flathunter. The current takes the line out. And if you tighten down the breaks and drag well then that's just makes everything worse when you get a fish on. Plus who likes to be diving for rods to engage a lame reel it's much neeter to see a rod get doubled over tell it looks like it's going to break.

9. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Ok I have a silly question. Where do you buy a one pound sinker and why fish where it would take one?

All I use is circle hooks and I never use more than three ozs sinker. If the water has that much current I don't want to anchor in it anyways. As far as pulling line out if you adjust your secondary drag it shouldn't pull out in the current. I fish at the base of Cedar Creek Hydro Station and the current gets really heavy and I haven't had any trouble as of yet. Now I'm not saying you should never fish the way you are but the way I fish works as well and in some cases probably better. It all depends on the action of the fish.

I generally fish with four "baitfeeder style reels" and two baitcasting reels when I'm anchored down. When I'm drift fishing I use three "baitfeeders" and one baitcaster, sometime more reels but not often. I found if I use the baitfeeder I have a better chance of hooking fish and not timber as bad.

10. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Answer to your silly question :D I dont have a boat, so I only bank fish..One of my spots is on an outside bend of a river, with the main current channel going thru it..Alot of times depending on flow I have to use 2 8-oz sinkers to hold bottom..But it usually produces fish.

11. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Ok. I know they make 2,3 and 4 pound sinkers for saltwater fishing, not sure how one would go about using them but they make them. I hardly ever bank fish anymore, several reason to that also. 1) Not enough places to fish. 2) To hard to fish around trees in the few spots that are not No Trespassing areas. 3) To many drunks. 4) To hangy. 5) I have a boat.

I know its very hard to paid for a boat when its all you can do to buy groceries, been there, done that. When I bought my boat things where ok but by the time the third payment was due I was looking for a job. I managed to keep my boat but I had to do without a lot. Like I said I'm not knocking you about it.

Freelining and circles will catch fish just as easily. Just tighten the secondary drag down a bit and it should be alright. DO NOT tighten down the main drag because a big fish will snap your line.