Tips & Tricks - Sinker rattling around when stored

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by Wabash River Bear, Jun 2, 2009.

1. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I had an idea born out of necessity, and went to see where I should post it, and I dont see where it would best fit. I think we need a "General Tips and Tricks" catagory. Anyhow, I'm gonna get to my idea, but if this gets moved, Sorry, and Thanks. :roll_eyes:
    I hate the idea of my sinkers rattling around my rods scarring them up when transporting them. I have tried wrapping the drop line with the bank sinker around the pole when I am running a 3 way, but it always seems to rattle around. When I Carolina rig with a no roll slip sinker or egg, I have tried velcro wraps to keep the sinker tight to the rod and they just wont stay put. I needed some way to pad the sinkers, that was quick and easy to put on, take off, and keep track of.
    The wife and I were at the WalMart doing the weekly thing, and lo and behold, the answer to my problems. Those rubber change purses that grandma used to give me silver out of when I was a pup, you know the ones, looks like a flat rubber football with a slit down one flat side. Those lil guys envelop the sinker and the line feeds out of the top on a drop rig, or out either end on a Carolina rig. Cheap too, about 64 cents apiece. They work great, especially in a verical rod rack on rough waters, no clanging sinkers against the rod blank.
    Just thought I would share this lil idea with ya'all. Maybe it will help someone out. Later, WRB.

2. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    :wink:Very smart idea! Necessity IS the mother of invention!:roll_eyes:

3. Shimano_cat

Shimano_cat New Member

State:
    North Caro
    Never thought of that one , but an awesome idea. I never transport my rods with weights on them while on the road but I will give this a try while I'm on the water.

4. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Great idea, thanks. I too hate my rods/reels beat up and I spend a lot of time cleaning and maintaining them.

-Jim-

5. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Improvise-adapt and overcome any situation the "U.S.A,WAY!" nicely done BIG BEAR:cool2:

6. buddyodie

buddyodie New Member

State:
    illinois
    Great Idea Bear! I started using sinker slides and river sinkers just for that reason, so I can snap em off when not in use, plus can change weight without re-tying. But I believe I'll make a trip to Wally World and buy some coin purses for my no rolls. Thanks again ! Good Idea!

7. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    finnaly found them been looking for them sence i seen this post.:big_smile: found them hiding next to the walking sticks and the depends lol. best idea ive seen for the job. reps a comming :wink: looks like it will work perfect for no rolls of all sizes even 8's. Wooohoo!! bad thing is while trying them out i seen all the damage that has already been done:sad2: theise are definatily another thing i wont be leaveing without:wink:

8. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    Hey whistler i think this may be one for the library.

9. stoney53

stoney53 Well-Known Member

State:
    PA
    great idea, just one of the many many reasons that make the boc is what it is .... great ideas from people

10. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    Thanks for the info Barry.

11. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks for sharing a neat idea. Sounds good. Reps.

12. bream reaper

bream reaper Member

State:
    Indiana
    Great idea, I'll take several with the BOC logo.

13. Papa64

Papa64 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I use scrunchy clips from the ladies hair section, they come in all different sizes so you can fit them to the size you need. I put one side around the rod and the other around the sinker and it holds them nice and snug, they look like they have a bunch of little fingers that come together.

14. bulethed

bulethed New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I use bass pro reel covers on all my rigs. when you slide the cover up over the reel just pull the sinker over in the far corner, and velcro it down away from rod and reel. it works perfect and also keeps sun light off your line and reel

2.99..........sometimes cheaper

bill.

15. Spider

Spider New Member

State:
    Hamburg, PA
    That's a ggod idea. Wouldn't have thought of that.

16. mudcat dale

mudcat dale New Member

State:
    Texas
    Nice idea. Cheap AND effective. I like it.

17. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I found a better way. Use sinker slides and take them off when you move......They simply snap on and off.

18. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    Thats a good idea but i use eletrical taqpe when i need to keep them from rattling around!I dont leave stick residue at all!

19. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

Great idea!!! What section did you find them at? I've looked and can't find them in there anywhere...:confused2:

20. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    i found them next to the canes, walkers and sutch on the end of the vitamen isle.