Tips To Slay The Bluegills

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing' started by field989, Jul 24, 2006.

1. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    Gills are always really fun to catch on a fly rod and fight a ton more..

one thing that works great for me in ponds for gills is a little foam spider that they sell at wally world... but cut the legs to about 1/2 to 3/4 of a inch out from the body of it.. cause the fish will bite at the legs and not the body of the fly...

but either the little foam spider or get a really small hook.... smallest u can find... like fly tying hooks( maybe size 10-14) and get half a redworm and put it on the hook where it covers up the hook.... and throw that out and let it sink(i get alot of hits when it sinks) but if u dont get a hit while sinking just twitch it across the bottom and believe me u DEFINATELY SHOULD GET A BITE! cause one time i was fishin and NOTHING was workin so i tried this and i cought so many gills....

these are great techniques that any fly fisherman should not be without!

oh and the little foam spider will catch bass(which are a blast on a fly rod especially a BIG ONE) but they will also catch catfish... today i had a cat come up to snatch one and i twitched somehow and it missed the fly :( that would have been REAL FUN

Thanks Jeff

2. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    I also like to use a fly rod to catch gills. Soetimes when conditions are tough and I'm having trouble catching them on the traditional assortment of wet flys I will poke about 4 maggots on a small size #10 or #12 hook and usually can catch a bunch this way!

3. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    What size/brand of fly rod do u have..

I have a St. Croix premier(i bought the combo), 5WT and i love it really fun to catch a gill on a fly rod...

but ANY fish will seem like a big one with a fly rod... its just super fun and just a GREAT TIME...

but one time or another i wanna catch a trout on a fly rod.

i will have to try that maggot thing sometime(if i can get maggots without getting some HORRIBLE disease lmao)

Jeff

4. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    Hey Jeff, good tips. I think that foam spider you described is called a bream killer. I always keep some dry flies in my tackle box. I use them with my ultra-light spinning rig by putting them about a foot below a bobber. The weight of the bobber allows me to cast them.

ST

5. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I tie my own little foam ants and spiders. I also use a 2wt I built. It makes even the tiny sunnies fun to catch!

6. mangus

mangus New Member

State:
    n.c.
    try the betts black ant or red ant late evening or early morning and when the bream are on the beds. i have great luck.

7. few

few New Member

State:
    New Mexico
    seems the only fly i have ever needed was a size 16 black gnat. either wet or dry.

8. mmarcum6

mmarcum6 New Member

State:
    Tenneessee
    The best performing thing I have found for me is a chartruse popper bug in varying sizes or when the May flies hatch a small yellow bug. I always try and match the color to the hatch and don't pay a lot of attention to size. If there is no apparent hatch I go back to chartruse.

9. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    you cant beat a beed head if silver dont work the gold will. a 3WT fly rod and a little beed head will fill your live well in no time.

10. crmule

crmule New Member

State:
    Orange City Florida
    Using bait on a fly rod! you guy should be ashamed
    No one who ever waded a pristean trout stream would ever think of doing somethind like that.
    Now hooking a minnow tru the snout and flipping it to a nice crappy or a bream bed wow thats fun.
    Just remember to relese to grease
    be well
    CRMULE

11. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    well i got a kinda od set up for brem i use a eaglclaw 5ft. ultra light rod with a fly reel on it i hate the long fly rods for brem thinking of making a 5ft fly rod but i reely like the set up im using now with the floating line no bobber needed corn on a small hook is a brem killer

12. kyledbarnes

kyledbarnes New Member

State:
    south carolina
    i use a cahill crystal creek, great all around rod, can catch almost any kind of fish with it, unfortunately i broke it the other day, hoping to be able to save up some money and buy another one, good rod, has anyone else used one before, i was also thinking a bass pro shops white river fly rod, like a 7 1/2 ft. rod that way it would be easier to fish those smaller trout streams whenever i go back to the mountains, good thread

13. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    IMO, never be ashamed of tipping your flys with bait, unless you're just a died in the wool purist; you're out to catch fish, it's whatever works.

I've flyrodded since I was a kid and used to be a purist. But the fact is you will almost always catch more if you 'cheat', AND if you read the books the experts will do it too if need be.

Over the years I've evolved/degressed/progressed/whateveryouwanttocallit to where I almost exclusively use a micro-jig like a 1/100th oz trout head #12 hook tipped with bits of wax or red worm for gills; and that's probably because I want to catch the smallest ones I can to use for bait. Don't get me wrong, I still catch nice ones like this but this fits the bait-sized one's mouth better and they'll go after it.

But in the past I've caught a ton of them on black ants or gnats. Wholly Buggers are good too.

14. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    My grandfather turned me on o fly fishing at a young age, we used to chase everything with fly rod only. I remember times when we used to fish a particular cove from a cedar strip canoe we built together. There were alot of bank fisherman, they wouldn't be catching much. we'd make a couple trips around the cove with dry flies or small poppers catching one every single cast. We'd give them all to a fisherman that needed them and head out to fish some more.
    My grandfather past away a couple months ago and it reinvigorated my love of fly fishing. I am in the process of setting up a nice fly tying bench in my house...between everything I had and everything I have of his now I have enough materials to tie flies for the rest of my life and then some.

15. Techno2000

Techno2000 New Member

State:
    New Orleans,LA
    Yep, I agree... a tiny chunk of Nightcrawler or powerbait honeyworms and wigglers stay on the hook real good on the Flycast.

16. mmarcum6

mmarcum6 New Member

State:
    Tenneessee
    Mike you have every thing you need to carry you forward. Every fly you tie will recount those memories my friend. I grew up tying flies with my dad and he is the one who taught my to throw a fly. I remeber he was a little impatient at times, but was the proudest he could be when I finally learned to do it correctly. To this day when I pick up a fly rod I think of how my dad taught me, and if I do it wrong I still hear him saying 1 o'clock pause then move it forward boy.