Tips & Techniques

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by kennylee, Sep 19, 2008.

1. kennylee

kennylee New Member

State:
    Missouri -
    Without repeating a tip or technique already posted on this thread; What is the one tip or technique you would give that would help make someone a better/more productive cat fishermen?

My tip is; buy and learn how to use a casting net. Fresh shad and or fresh bait is the ticket to catching cats on the waters I fish in MO. & IL.

2. ncfowler

ncfowler Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Name:
    Jeff
    You can have all the best equipment and high dollar boats, with all the gadgets one can get on that boat, But untill you get to know the waters your fishing and the cycles on that water your just shooting blanks in the dark, Ok you may get luckey and hit on some good spots or luck into a school, Outside of the structure and hold spots where do you find the cats that no one else know about, this is where doing some investagation of the lakes and sterams is needed, Only once you get out and do your home work you can become constantly prodctive.

3. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    get to know your fish next after your waters study how they feed where they feed and when and listen to the peole here the best catfishing site around

4. BobbyLee

BobbyLee New Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohio
    I agree with Jeff; Knowing your waters and the fish cycles is a big plus. Only other tip I can offer is; Reading all the informative articles you can find, and then applying what you've learned on the water's you are fishing... Knowledge is everything...

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Buy good electronics and learn to read them. Spend lots of time on the water. Don't be afraid to try different baits.

6. Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Kentucky
    the most productive tip i could give? and a tip i generally live by in catfishing.(is keep it simple!) and you will catch more fish!

7. nitronostrils

nitronostrils New Member

State:
    IL
    Monitor the weather fronts, moon phases.

8. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    Don't get hooked on one method of fishing.Watch the bait fish they will tell you where the catfish are feeding. learn to read the water if fishing in a river
    the best time to fish is when you have time to go.
    Flathead catfish can be caught in places that others seldom fish . they also travel further to feed than most think.

9. Biluecat

Biluecat New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Fish don't eat at restraunts so why do fishermen buy bait? they eat whats in the waters you fish!! I agree with buying a net, bait is the key!!!

Always check your line for wear before you cast... ya never know when the "big boy" is gonna strike, so be prepared!!:eek:oooh:

10. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Don't be to hard headed to take advise from other fishermen young and old

11. germanmudfish

germanmudfish New Member

State:
    Gray, GA
    Get out and fish. The more time you spend on the water, the more opportunity you have to learn. Also, talk to the local fisherman and see what they have to say.

12. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    here's one take an am radio with you and kepp it on. if there is an approaching thunderstorm you can hear the lightning as interference and if you know where the signal is then you'd know whether its approaching you or not.

13. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    from a newbie on less than prime catfish waters...

persevere and don't give up... catfish do not come easy in my part of the world. the challenge is part of the appeal. Keep good notes and keep changing things from time to time (technique, bait, spots)..

myself, I figure I've given myself about three years. With constant experimentation of baits/spots/and techniques and consistant effort my goal is to regularly catch catfish by the 2011.

I like this thread.

14. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Catmatt gave some tips a while back in one of his threads that I have been using and it has really helped me out alot for flatheads. Move your bait every 20 minutes or so...I move mine about a foot or so until I have to re-cast. A few times I have gotten bites as I was moving the bait!

15. Trevor1

Trevor1 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I'd say a decent depth/fish finder is a handy piece of equipment to have if you want to catch fish, these things are your eyes under the water.

16. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Fish with as many rods as you legally can or are able to keep a close eye on. Rig each one differently and use several different kinds of bait. You never know what the big cat is hungry for that day.

17. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    THE best advice to give to a newbie catter is to join the BOC! The wealth of information listed here is INVALUABLE! My personal advice echos germanmudfish. Get on the water AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE. I see many weekend newbies come and go. They go a time or two with NO success, and give up. There is NO substitute for on the job training!
    Bill in SC

18. Cheez

Cheez New Member

State:
    Trion,GA
    Do all the suggestions made on this thread. Like Ronnie said here and I will also add, there is absolutely no substitute for time on the water.

19. River Hobo

River Hobo New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Bigger Fish :tounge_out:

20. colten

colten Member

State:
    Texas
    I have learned so much on making baits from the BOC. Don't be afraid to take along more than one kind of bait with you when you go fishing. Sometimes they may want soomething different that day.