Tips on first time turkey hunting

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by CatfishHateMe, Apr 7, 2007.

1. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    This is my first time turkey hunting this year and i still have some time to prepair (April 25th i believe) until the season. so i need some tips from you seasoned hunters out there. i have a 12 ga. remington 870 with a full choke tube. not sure what kind of pattern i can hold until i go out tomorro to check that out and see what kind of range im good for. ive got a Primos diaphrame mouth call that i am pretty confident with cuz ive been using it like crazy latly practiceing. ive got a crow call to use for a locator. right now ive only got one hen fold up decoy. what other decoys should i get if any? where should i set up at? how should i hunt the first weekend? how should i hunt later in the season? ive been told the turkeys change alot as its gets deeper in the season about like deer do. so any tips would be appriceiated.

2. bluesclues

bluesclues New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Roost your birds every night and be patient have a good seat.:0a23:

3. Bullseye017

Bullseye017 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Keep an eye out for ticks........and dont get frustrated when the turkeys dont seem to be coming in. Persistance is the key

4. huntsfromtree

huntsfromtree New Member

State:
    KC Northland
    As memtioned above, roost the bird...then dont over call!
    Good luck

5. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    Ive only been hunting turkey for a few years now and the main reason I havent tagged one yet is patience. I get up to soon thinking the bird I just spent how long calling in got hung up or found a real hen only to find he's on silent approach to avoid competition and I spook him to the next county when I stand up and walk a short distance! Other then that all I can say is try to roost them and try not to move around to much.

6. Blue Duck

Blue Duck New Member

State:
    Idaho
    As already said roosting the birds the night befor is the best way to know where they are. Other than that, call to get a response. Once you locate a bird head that way. Sneak to about a 100 yards from him and find a good comfortable ambush spot. Have your gun up pointed in the general direction you think he will come from so you can keep movement to a minimum...... and call. Some times they come in with out calling back... be watching. Good luck.

7. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    what do you guys mean by roosting the birds the night before? finding out where theyr roost at so you can know where to go in the morning? thats just my stab in the dark at it. lol

8. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    u find where they roost then in the mornin when they fly down u get urself one lol

where u goin hunting at... we go to greene sullivan state forest... down around your area...

but i havent got one yet but i think ill get one this year...

TIP.....

TURKEYS HAVE EXCELLENT EYESITE
    turkeys sence of smell isnt that good... u can cram on the but spray and u dnt have to worry about the gobblers smelling u ...

BUT DEF. WATCH OUT FOR THEIR EYESITE!!!

good luck

Jeff

9. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    im huntin near prairie creek. i plan on going to a friend of mines once this year and he lives about 5 minutes from sullivan state forest. ive been told that its pretty good huntin around there for Deer and Turkey. good luck and thanks to everyone

10. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    pick up you a set of decoys as # one on your list for turkey will come in much faster if they can have something for a good visual target aproch. set your decoys around 20 yards from you and if you use a freind to call for you set him up around 10 yards behind you. if not using a friend I like the box call used one handed on the ground beside me for little to no movement but its the upmost importance not to over call.in prime time your decoys will do all the work for you them Toms get mad if they see another Tom get a little of what their out looking for.:roll_eyes:

11. little fiddler

little fiddler New Member

State:
    mississippi
    :0a26: you should try a slate call a gobbler a..n..d a trusty waterprof boz call u don't have to use chalk..... comes in handy

12. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    My best tips:

1. Go hunt where there's lots of turkeys, it's much easier that way. Don't waste your time where the birds ain't, go where they are.

2. Wear good camo

3. Sit still!!!!!! Turkeys see everything. About 99.99999% of their head is eyeballs (okay, not that much but you get the point) Sit still.

4. Be patient. Give every setup the best possible chance to work, because these nutty birds will slip up on you without a peep about half the time. Not every bird gobbles on the way in, so be patient and be confident in ur setup.

5. Have fun.

6. Find a call that you can use and try it.

7. Use plenty of bug spray. They're turkeys, not deer. Turkeys couldn't smell you if you were sitting on their heads.

My first several times in the woods, I called up birds. Never killed any of them. Not because I was picky or anything, I just couldn't get a shot. I would've killed every last one of them if given a legal opportunity. But I was hooked, because I was calling up birds!!! Have fun with it.

13. crmule

crmule New Member

State:
    Orange City Florida
    What is ment by roosting a bird is to go out in the evening about an hour before dark to an area you thing birds are at [look for tracks ,the big ones may be toms] sit real quiet and listen for a tom to fly up to his nite tree ,if you don't hear one try a locator call /hoot owl,cyotee, peacock they some time will make a tom shock gobble.
    The next trick is to find a spot near the roost [50-100 yards] and be there an hour before any light .go in dark and quiet .If he calls from the tree before he flys down answer him with a hen tree call. and listen for him to fly down If you are lucky enough to get that close the rest is harder all you have to do is sound sexer than a real hen .
    Don.t over call once he hears you he will remember you ,if he is hened up it may take 2 hours to get to you call every 15min to 1/2 hour and be still .remember they can see a fart so don't be moven around unless you are going to try and sneek up closer .Thats takes practice
    good luck I hope this helps
    crmule