Tips on Fawn Distress Calling

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by fishnfool68, Oct 1, 2006.

1. fishnfool68

fishnfool68 New Member

State:
    Near Tulsa Oklahoma
    I've yet to get a deer w/ gun or bow,yet I keep trying.I'd love to kill a trophy,who wouldn't,but I'm most intrested in stocking the freezer.Does anyone have a tip on uesing a fawn in distress call.Its not working like I've heard its supposed to.I've seen videos,the does are supposed to run right to the call.The only things responding are dogs,cattle,and squirrel.I'm not doing something right.I appriciate any help :smile2:

2. Stainless

Stainless Member

State:
    Ft Smith, AR
    I think the chances are you'll spook the deer more than you'll entice them to come towards the call. That fawn in distress call is usually only going to work on a doe who very recently lost her fawn or yearling. In my opinion it's just another gimmick to sale products. Maybe someone else can prove me wrong but it won't be in my hunting gear anymore.

Now I have had a lot of luck calling in spikes with a grunt. I'm not for sure what the law is where your at but if they're under two inches here in my state they are considered doe and you can take them with a bow.

3. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    Ive only had the fawn distress call work one time for me but I dont use it often. I was bowhunting about 5 yards in the woods overlooking a field. Doe didnt seem to be in too much of a hurry. She poked her head out of the woods on the other side of the field, about 100 yards. Would have been great for gun hunting. I think if I would of had a decoy she would have come to it. I would say dont call very often maybe once every 30 minutes or so. I think its a tough way to hunt as you may scare deer off just like using any call. Last few years I havent been using any scents or calls, just search for bedding areas, feeding areas and water.

4. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    Hey Mike, I use to work with a guy that wouldn't go to the woods without a fawn 'squeaker'. He said if he could see a doe or a yearling he could call it into bow range. I got me one and the first time I tried it the doe and her little one took off away from it. He gave me some lessons and told me I wouldn't have any more problems. Next trip I sent two yearling's to the other side of the world with it. I tried one more time and scared the crap out of some more. I don't have one any more. I hope they will work for you.

On another note, I have seen those little can type calls work. I think the deer were more curious about it than anything else.

st

5. mobowhtr

mobowhtr Member

State:
    MO
    Fawn distress works better early in season as a doe is more defensive while her fawn is younger and less so, later in season, and her mood plays a big role too, if she is coming she will charge in if not she will probably slip off in the other direction, Also if you sound right you may call in a coyote, they are a blast to hunt, and usually much more wary and challenging than deer.

6. fishnfool68

fishnfool68 New Member

State:
    Near Tulsa Oklahoma
    Thanks for the info,I would of thought it would scare them but I've been told different.If I were a deer I wouldn't run to the sound of another deer being attacked.From now on I think I'll use the fawn call as a last resort or not at all.No we don't have any weird rule likes in Ark. Cory.My family has deer camp around Natural Dam every year.All the rules about 2points,on one side in one county and 3 in another,and useless doe tags in the national forest-it sucks.Why hold a drawing for tags you can't use?Over here it has horns or it don't,its a doeonly day or its not.I'm having a hard enough time figureing out where all the deer are:crazy:

7. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    Every time I've used one, I've killed a Coyote. I moved the call from my Deer hunting bag to my predator hunting bag:wink:

8. Stainless

Stainless Member

State:
    Ft Smith, AR
    I know what you mean about having a hard time finding them. The one good thing about Arkansas is that there is a lot of National Forest to hunt. Only bad thing about that is that there are a lot of hunters in them too unless you drive a long ways. Most of the Okies I work with either hunt leases or private property. If you really like to deer hunt, leasing might be an option for you if your up to the yearly fee's. If not and you have a boat, then finding some secluded land from off the river is a good idea too. We went jugging yesterday evening on the Arkansas River and the fish were not biting too well so we decided to shove in to a sand bar to stretch out. You could easily see the trails heading up the steep bank from where the deer are crossing the river. We walked up in there and after about 60 yards and a small thicket, we jumped up three deer. I'm not for sure what sex they were but it was almost predictable that they were close because of all the sign in there. Good luck.

9. fishnfool68

fishnfool68 New Member

State:
    Near Tulsa Oklahoma
    I'm going to archery only public,and private lands.Over there we hunt the same places my grandpa hunted when he first started deer camp in'65,It is well off any road,not many hunters set-up camp that far into the woods.We just haven't had much luck the past few years(since I've been going)its been real hot,and skeeters were thick!I just bought a Shannon Bug buster camo suit,tried it out today,worked real well,and I'm pretty sure my scent was well covered-my lab didn't know it was me when I came in the back gate.I had to pull up the bug net and say his name before the hairs on his neck set back down.The bugs still got my hands but I can handle that.:cool2:

10. Stainless

Stainless Member

State:
    Ft Smith, AR
    I purchased me one of those Bug Tamer suits about two years ago and never used it.. yet. I had plans of using it on some land along the Arkansas River. The mosquitos there were so bad that insect repelant didn't bother them a bit. It will probably get some use this year now that I have a boat. There is nothing I hate more than listening to bugs flying all around me while deer hunting. It's almost like a dog going crazy looking and scratching for fleas.

11. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    I got one of those can type calls at bass pro shop last year. It's great for finding out how many other hunters are on the lower 48 acres I have permission to hunt on.....it's all timber makes it hard to catch the fellas have'nt got permission to be there. I always worry about accidently capping some "perp". You know the family would sue anyway! One morn I got two rattles and a distress back....gives me an idea what direction my safe shot is. Hell of a world ain't it....
    :big_smile:

12. bro_catfish

bro_catfish New Member

State:
    Ohio ,Coshocton County
    all though you gotta admit that it makes sence to have and use one though.
    I mean if you can play on the does sence of instint and get her into sight that a buck would follow? and if not then a doe is better that a walk back to the house

13. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Although I did call in a Doe once, I generally have better luck attracting them with a chain saw. If you are having trouble finding a deer, here's the best advice I can offer. Look for the thickest place on the property you hunt and take a stand on the down wind edge of it. Deer stay near thickets when they know people are in the woods so that is where you'll find them.

14. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Anybody know where I can download a "fawn in distress call" ringtone for my cell phone? LOL
    :lol: