Tips on Cutbait?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by mmagreg, Jan 18, 2010.

1. mmagreg

mmagreg New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh
    Being a non-driving angler i am at a few disadvantages when it comes to bait. I take public transportation to get places making it rather difficult for me to catch chubs, bullhead or bluegills and transport them live.

I have caught a few small flatheads while fishing for channels with chicken liver, but never anything large. What are some options for me to use to catch the big boys? Also, how do you cut a fish in order to use it as bait? What portion of the fish do you use? Anything else i should know?

Thanks in advance!

2. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    All of my big flatheads have come on fresh cut bait, especialy shad, but any fresh cut bait will work, and I fish rivers.

I quit using live bait years ago for river flatheads, when my cutbait was out fishing the live bait big time.

The 50-lber in my avitar was caught on a small shad head.

Not bragging but below is some of the big river flatheads that have come on cut bait, it works..And you dont need the hassle of keeping live bait alive, just a cooler and ice to keep the fish cold and fresh before you cut it.

55-lbs...cut bass
    50-lbs...cut shad
    53-lbs...cut shad
    48-lbs...cut shad.

Like I said I mainly use shad because I can get them easily in my castnet, but gills, chubs, and fresh cut bait will work, I have even caught 40-lb fish on frozen cut bait...I prefer the heads, but have caught flatheads on all parts, I just cut straight thru in chunks..And usually have three pieces the head, and 2 middle sections..I have even seen big flats caught on nothing but the tail.Just get you any type of fish and put them in a bag and put them in a small cooler with some ice..MAKE SURE YOU, you keep your bait in a bag, or it will lose soem blood and oils, if you just throw it in a cooler.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2010

3. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

I like em live myself Greg.Lot of people do good with the cut though.If you can,t transport them,just go with whatever you can catch where you,re at,cut or live.Just keep a light rod with ya for bait.I aint found too much from the river they won,t hit on.I like the white bass when they,re running in the spring.

4. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Hi Mmagreg,,

Good question,, and good advice,, I learned a couple of things too!!

and,,,Welcome to the USCA/BOC:smile-big:

5. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to USCA Greg.

6. o'boro cat hunter

o'boro cat hunter New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I use shad when available, I'd say 65% of the time.Good for flats,blues and channels,cut or live you just never know them cats a Crazy.Don't care to much for the tail????Don't know why!!!But my bait of choice is the almight SKIPPER,every big fish on my profile was Nailed on that Amazing bait.Cut about 1/2 inch pieces from the head down to the tail again I don't use tail,frozen,fresh,stinking rotten anyway i can get um.Fishing just aint fishing with out the Skips.

7. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Greg Welcome to the USCA, from So. Illinois. A good alternative bait you can easily find and it will catch fish is Shrimp. I've caught some nice fish on Shrimp soaked overnight in Garlic powder.

8. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I am a livebait guy.. Not saying cuts don't work, cause we do well early spring and then late fall on cuts. But most of our big flatheads come on livebait. Like Jack posted, some do well on cuts and throughout the year. But, where and how I fish they usually come after dark, and on livebaits... rollo

9. hct236

hct236 Well-Known Member

State:
    virginia
    One of the most successful cuts on bait that I have used is a slight angle cut from the head, if you practice on a few you will be able to get a shad or gill head with the guts attached. As far as transporting I guess a little lunch type cooler with some ice or an ice pack would work.

10. paul c

paul c New Member

State:
    sparks ga
    I like fresh mullet & allways do good with the head.

11. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    if i am using cut bait i always use the head, as it is my favorite and i like to cut it at an angle to keep as much of the guts as i can with the head. that keeps the scent out in the water the longest. if the tail is connected to a larger portion of body i will just leave it on otherwise i through it away.

personally though i would rather use a large live bait over cut bait any day. i have found though that if you will use a large chub or shad and just troll it along the bottom slowly you can intise a bite really well, especially in the spawn.

12. o'boro cat hunter

o'boro cat hunter New Member

State:
    kentucky
    O Heck, was talking about Flats,then for sure Shad ,live (if you can keep them alive) and cut, sometimes whole with slits, when dead.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2010
  13. tricitycatter

tricitycatter Member

State:
    Washington
    Here in Washington State it is illegal to use live bait, so we use cut bait, can't use nets either-all fish have to be caught with hook & line. Thanx for the tip about the head & guts, I usually freeze what I don't use the day i go fishing. We have Pike Minnow-AKA - Squawfish in our river system, & fish & game even has bounty program to help control them (they eat steelhead & salmon eggs & smolt), best bait out here for cats. I found out we Do have Flatheads in the Snake River, so looks like I'm gonna have to learn more about fishing for em. Great info every one.

14. mmagreg

mmagreg New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh
    Thanks everyone for your advice and warm welcomes :) And thanks Bigcatpat for letting me know about this great cyber fishing hole!

15. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Nuthin illegal about carrying a 5 gallon bucket full of live fish and a buzzing aerator!

Live bait will always give you a higher percentage on catching a flathead than cut.

16. Longjohn119

Longjohn119 Well-Known Member

State:
    Iowa
  17. luckey wade

luckey wade New Member

State:
    ohio
    WELCOME TO THE SITE.I like live baits the bigger the better.

18. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    You don't like them smallmouth do ya bro? LOL.. I love em!!! :biggrin: rollo

19. luckey wade

luckey wade New Member

State:
    ohio
    no Rollo .i like live cats an big birds.they seem to work good at the y brige in zanesville ohio.
    Yes sir

20. karaep

karaep Member

State:
    Greenville, NC
    I like to use live bream. But will often use cut eels, mullet, and shad.