Tips on catching big blue catfish?

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by OklahomaFever, Jun 6, 2007.

1. OklahomaFever

OklahomaFever New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I need a few tips on catching big blues? I use 9/0 stainless kahle....but really havent landed anything to brag about a few 20's.... What would you say would be the idle bait in a fast flowing river? A whole shad.. a cut shad? i understand big bait = big fish... just need a lil help from the pros :) thanks

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I'm not a pro . I would suggest useing skipjack heads. If you have skipjack in your area. Continued fresh bait is important.:lol::big_smile:

3. OklahomaFever

OklahomaFever New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    i have freshwater herring in my area just extremely hard to catch...i guess shad would be my best bet?

4. Arkie55

Arkie55 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    I'm not an expert but I have caught several big blues between 30 and 65 lbs. I don't use real big bait. I do use skipjack as my primary bait. I also use bream and shad. I catch my big fish in the deep holes with pretty strong current. The best tip I can give is to remeber that the big fish is the dominate fish in the hole. It will get the best cover and ambush point. Study each hole with your depth finder. Locate the best cover in the hole and position your boat so you can present the bait to that cover. You never know when a big fish will bite. I do 100% of my fishing in the day time. You will be surprised what you can catch when it is near 100 degrees and bright sun. I normally hit the river right at day light and fish until I get ready to leave. Sometimes that's late afternoon and sometimes it's just before noon. I don't set on a hole over 15 minutes without a bite. When the hole stops producing, I move to another spot. I'm hunting big agressive fish. My bait is usually a chunk of skipjack about a 1/2 inch wide by 2 inches long. I use the head as a bait, the two inches above the tail as a bait and the remainder of the bait fish I chunk into 1/2 inch wide stakes then split the stakes down the middle. My biggest fish on Rod and Reel is 62 1/2 pounds. Hope this helps.

5. mark1

mark1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    cut shad is very good, but perch heads are very good also

6. fishinjunky

fishinjunky Member

State:
    Nebraska
    think ledges, the more dramatic the drop the higher chance their is a big fish waiting for ambush their. flats can also be good when water is high, do trial and error and you'll figure them out some point or another.

7. fastfrank

fastfrank New Member

State:
    Elgin, Alabama
    Use heavy gear, whether it be bait casting. or spinning tackle. I mostly drift-fish deep water for the big ones. I use circle hooks. I don't have much experience with the kahles. I'm wondering how they would work drifting....I think they may hang-up more, which is a pain if you are using heavy line. Use the freshest bait you can, and make sure the hook is big enough for the big bait. If you want the big fish, you must persevere... the big ones don't always "grow on trees." Good luck!!! Check out the library for the best rigs.

8. rwilley3

rwilley3 New Member

State:
    Brighton, Tenne
    We use Kahles for our anchor fishing but I mostly use circle's myself when drifting or walking baits in current. I agree with Arkie55 for the most part about the big fish although I think a bigger bait may keep you from catching a lot of smaller fish. After reading this I wanted to post a pic about the big baits because of what happened last weekend to us. It is already posted under the MS State-World Class Catfishing thread if you want to look. If you do you can see the deal about big baits mean big fish or keep you from catching smaller ones "ain't always true".:big_smile:

9. SunburntAgain

SunburntAgain New Member

State:
    Tulsa, OK
    More important than the size of bait youre using, you need to find the areas that big fish frequent. If youre not putting your bait near big fish you'll never catch one. Get to know about a 10 mile stretch of your local river like the back of your hand. Keep a journal of what different species are doing at what times of the year, keep notes of water level, temperature, dates, time of day, weather conditons, ect. After some time you''ll have figured out your rivers habits, and youll be catching good fish. Also, don't just fish one or 2 spots, explore new areas as much a possible, and try spots that noone else is fishing (this usually means a good deal of work to access spots that most arent willing to go thru the trouble to access). Use Google Earth to scout new spots, Army Corps of Engineer navigation maps can also be very useful depending on what waterways you are fishing.

10. trad_archer

trad_archer New Member

State:
    Cook Springs, AL
    Most of my fishing for big fish is done at night and just opposite of what others do. I fish shallow water from 2-8'. My theory is the big cats come into this shallow water hunting bass and bream after dark or even over cast days. Water clarity plays a role as well. Seems they frequent the shallow water more often in daylight if the water is stained or muddy. One of my favorite holes is a small slue that is only knee deep but full of stumps. If you do any bream fishing then you already know some great spots. Just take one of the bream you catch and chunk it out a little past where you been catching the bream and hang on. Of course this is only how i do it and by no means the only productive way. Good luck...shane

11. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    See now this big bait, big fish thing hasn't happened so much for me... The only "big" fish i have had come on a big bait was a 10 lb channel on a white perch w/ its head cut off...

Most of my big blues have come off of small pieces of shad... 2" wide by 4" long or so (fillets mostly)... I like using smaller baits then alot of the other guys because it means that i have a greater chance of catching A fish... a 5 lber could take it, but so could a 45 lber... I know the guys who use the 1/3 shad to catch fish and i don't see why you need to waste bait like that when a strip of the fillet will work just as well...

The only other thing i'd say is make sure the water your fishing holds big fish... some have been over fished and others just don't have enough food to sustain the larger fish

12. trad_archer

trad_archer New Member

State:
    Cook Springs, AL
    photocat...I think the reasoning behind useing big bait is just as you mentioned...for me anyway. By useing large bait I "weed" out the smaller fish. Most times I am not out to catch any fish, I am after the biggest one i can catch! By useing a foot long shiner or huge bream, I am fairly sure that when and if I get a run, its a good un!lol. Now when i am after anything, i do as you and use smaller cut bait but that dosent happen unless i have kids along or someone I dont want to get bored!lol The original question was tips on big cats and i believe it is more likely to catch big blues on big, live bait. Big bait dosent garuntee big fish but it does garuntee no small ones. lol...or in my case nothing at all!!!....shane

13. deerhunter4

deerhunter4 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    thank you everyone for the information on the blues I have never caught a blue of flathead myself hope one day my luck changes just so I can taste the difference...However right now I know I love to eat channel cat so I will just keep on fishing and maybe my day will come...

Paul Sally and Kids

Says "FISH ON"

14. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Shane, sounds like you are night fishing in some great spots for flatheads, but I think the big blues stay in a little deeper water. All the 20+# blues I've caught have been in water at least 12'-15' deep, except for a few around 20# on trotlines in shallow water in the spring.

15. skippie2use

skippie2use New Member

State:
    Indiana
    The biggest blues I have ever seen have been HOOKED on big live bait. One was in about ten inches of water right after dark, and no the water wasnt up. The blues where there feeding on shad. The other was on big live bait in 40 feet of water. Both of these fish would have been over 70lbs. Fish the bait NEAR deep water. Remember blues at feeding time are allot like stripers, they will chase shad on the flats. If your fishing for blues that are ambushing bait then there more likely to be in deep water.

16. trad_archer

trad_archer New Member

State:
    Cook Springs, AL
    jtrew...It "should" be great spots for flats there seems to a shortage of em round here.I guess the big blues rule the roost!..lol. I guess I may catch 10 flats a year that average about 5lbs as opposed to hundreds of blues averageing 15 - 20 lbs. with 40 being pretty common. So far this summer, no flats and the biggest blue going 52lbs. caught by my boy on a live redhorse.

17. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    the old saying that big baits equal big fish is true up to a point.Im not saying u cant catch big fish on smaller baits but you more than likely going to get a bite from a small fish before the big fish comes along.the fish in my avator weighs 56 lbs and the bait weighed 3/4 of a pound.my largest cat on rod and reel weighed 62 lbs.I fished 9 strait days from 2 to 9 in the after noon with a 1 lb piece of skipjack.i got 1 bite sure i would have got more bites and cought more fish with a smaller bait but i only wanted a big cat so big bait.i like to eat and normaly i only fish for 1 1/2 lb channels.but thats just me.

18. jstall

jstall New Member

State:
    Gary Texas
    No expert here but the few things I do know are, first below dams in running water in January and February, large fresh baits, live preferably. Blues like moving water. Hope at least one of these helps, good luck.

19. bigfisher4life

bigfisher4life New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Well the whole thing about big baits producing big fish is not always right for the most part. ive been fishing the Ohio River at the Falls below the MCAlpine locks for about 7 years now and i catch my own shad with a castnet at the mouth of the locks when the water is low enough. Sure big chunks and big heads with big hooks catch mainly big fish BUT, for about the last 3 weeks i have found another bait to be incredibly productive when catching some big blues in the 25-65lb range. I take my shad and cut a fillet out of the side of it, maybe about 2 or 3 inches in length and when i hook it i take the hook through the meat side (not scale side) first then double it up back throught the scale side so that it is only the meat of tha shad exposed. For the last three weeks ive been using this bait (fishing from the bank, throwing about 30 yards out) we have caught roughly about 30 cats, mostly blues but a few decent size flatheads and channels in there too. Several big ones have been caught with this method. Good luck!!!

20. Smellycat

Smellycat New Member

State:
    Harrison Arkans
    Well, I guess there is a whole lot of information on this thread, and I think the theme here is things (baits and presentation) are different depending on the waters you fish. Jerry Trew fishes the same waters that I do, so his advice, I always listen to. He has been doin it a lot longer than me.
    The other fellows know their water and they know their fish. They will be a great help when we have a gathering near them. That is what is so wonderful about this ol board.