Tips on bank fishing the Ohio

Discussion in 'LOCAL KENTUCKY TALK' started by CatMaster3, Jul 29, 2008.

1. CatMaster3

CatMaster3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Does anyone have any tips or tricks they like to use fishin off the bank in the river?

2. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I look for a curve in the river that cuts the bank down to roots usually you have trees laying in the water and some rocks near buy is a big +. Takes a good number of hooks and sinker and swivels to fish a place like that. :wink::smile2: But ya usually find cats there. Around shoals is a good place above and below some times right in the middle. It depends a lot on the season as well.:smile2:

3. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    That is just general river fishing .Guess the Ohio is just on a much larger scale:big_smile:

4. firechief4201

firechief4201 New Member

State:
    Catlettsburg, Kentucky
    Find a spot that you like and then cast out with a small pole to check for snags and the water depth. Some of my best spots are at feeder creeks, bends in the river, and near log jams. Flats with a deep hole near by are also good. If fishing at night keep light down and try not to cast shadows on the water.

5. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Thanks Danny for chiming in on this subject.
    I was just giving general information on what I know. Never fished big water much but hopefully will get to soon.:wink:

Ken

6. tackleholic

tackleholic New Member

State:
    New Albany
    Use heavy line & sinker. Take along a buddy!

7. mlohre

mlohre New Member

State:
    Walton, Kentucky
    i find fishing below the dams works well, out on the sand bar down just a little bit from the dam or right next to it to. good luck

8. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN

Sounds like real good info to me, Good luck on finding a spot!