Tips on anchoring

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by bigheck, Jul 27, 2008.

1. bigheck

bigheck New Member

State:
    kansas
    You guys have any tips on what style of anchors to use or any techinques on how to keep the boat set?

2. BailBonds

BailBonds New Member

State:
    Indiana
    The biggest mistake people make is not the type of anchor but not using enough scope. The ratio of depth vs line out. The minimum should be 5 to 1 in med current conditions. But the current, wind, anchor style and bottom type can vary this a bunch. IE you are in 20 feet of water you should have 100' out. This is used for larger boats that need a steady anchor to hold while they stay overnight etc. A Danforth fluke style is a good generic anchor that will hold well other than on very hard bottoms.

3. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Erik

I use a river style anchor and it has worked out get so far no problems holding my boat.

4. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    I fish out of a small 14' flatbottom and i think i got the anchor thing down pretty good now. I use a 15lb anchor with 5 ft of heavy chain out the bow.....i let out a good bit of slack on the anchor rope then reverse the motor until the anchor is set and the line is tight......then i put a small 10lb anchor out the back with just a lil bit of slack......cut the motor off....get back to the bow and pull just a couple arm lenghts of rope on the front anchor until the back anchor line is tight......the boat doesn't sway......atleasnt until i get hung up or get a fish on....

5. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Wow, I guess I better get some more anchor rope, LOL!!! 150ft just ain't enough I guess!!!!:eek:oooh::eek:oooh::eek:oooh: There are places that by your standards I would need 500ft of rope to hold the boat:crazy::crazy::crazy:!!
    I fish the Ohio river and have never had to have more than 150ft of rope to hold the boat! The ratio I use is 30ft depth=90ft of rope!!!

6. yeppa

yeppa New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    That length of chain will help a lot. You can get it too heavy, although the exersize is probably good for me, I tend to leave it out rather then pull it in and move.

7. delbert bumbleshoot

delbert bumbleshoot New Member

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    Went out with a guide and he had an interesting system.150' of rope pay it all out. 2 relatively small anchors 1 river anchor and a navy anchor on the same rope 2' apart.Neither anchor is very big for an 18' boat in the Missouri current but put together they seem to hold real well. You do have to set them {give em a couple of big jerks till they dig in].On the other end I have a 3 bleach jugs tied together and a snap in case you have to move in a hurry. Don't know why I haven't had to worry about chasing a big fish or anything. Be very careful using a second anchor off the back if you are in serious current. If the one in front slips your boat could spin around in the current and you will have water coming in over the transom real quick. You can use 2 off the front spread at about a 30 degree angle.

8. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    This is the same thing I do. My boat is 19 ft, so my anchors are a little heavier, #26 river anchor for front and #16 mushroom on the back. I usually use somewhere around 3-1 on the front. 10 ft of water, 30 foot of rope out. I don't anchor in any heavy river current though.

9. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    im fishing the headwaters of a lake....so it's pretty slack current....actually there's another lake just below the lake i mostly fish....they pull water down, then push it back up to generate electricity. when they push water back up it pushes the river current backwards.....I think for fishing in a good current a couple drift buckets off the stern w/ the anchor of the bow would work best.

10. Backlashed

Backlashed New Member

State:
    Derby, Kansas
    Same thing here, just a bit larger scale. On my 24' pontoon I use a 30# river anchor in the front, and a 20# in the back. No chain though, it made more of a muddy mess on the deck than it was worth.