Tips-Gratuity

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Mickey, Sep 8, 2009.

1. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    In this tight economy do you still tip waitress, mechanics etc. like you once did? What are your guide lines on giving tips for services rendered?

2. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    BETTER BE TIPPING YOUR WAITRESSES! UNLESS THE SERVICE IS ATROCIOUS I DO NOT BELIEVE THERE IS A REASON NOT TO TIP YOUR WAIT STAFF UNLESS YOU JUST PLAIN DONT HAVE IT. MY 2 CENTS

MECHANICS...I WORK AT A SHOP AND I GET MORE TIPS FROM SALES THAN THE MECHANICS DO FOR THERE LABOR, IT HASNT EVER BEEN THAT GREAT HERE ON THAT END SO IT DOESNT SEEM TO HAVE SLOWED ANY FROM BEFORE OBAMA...:wink:

3. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Still tip at least 20%, we havnt been hit from this so far. Now if one of us looses a job it will change to a point but we will still tip

4. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    If you can't afford to tip,, you can't afford to eat out.

5. r ward

r ward New Member

State:
    Kathleen G
    One of my jobs is a food delivery driver and with the economy the way it is, It is even more important to tip unless you have a legitmate reason not to ie real late or real bad attitude cause we pay gas and all upkeep on our cars where I work we do not get minimum wag now because tips are "supposed" to make up the differance so yes I do tip when I use a service type person

6. boswifedeb

boswifedeb USCA Jailhouse Lawyer

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    Debbie
    I'm usually a pretty good tipper. But if the service has been really bad, I'll tell the person up front why the tip (or lack of it) is the amount that it is. And it does work. I've never had bad service from the same person twice!:wink::smile2:

7. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma

i resemble that fact,I rarely eat out,But I once was asked not to come back for a tip I gave,As a joke I cut a penny in half with a pair of tin snips and left half. { I knew the waitress well] But the owner blew up .:smile2::smile2::smile2:

8. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I am usually pretty good at tipping around 15-20%. But if the service was crappy or unprofessional I wont leave one.

9. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    good waitstaff is what makes a meal when you eat out. if the food is not up to par then you need to discuss it with the manager but the waitstaff work off personality and energy. i tip really well if i get good service. i tip average for average service. if i keep a table tied up for more than average time i tip for that time too. i have tipped $10 for a $3 ticket when i kept the table for a long conversation. if i have a really expensive ticket i try to tip at least 20% if the service is good. shoot, a $50 tip makes them smile. i'm not wealthy but i pay for good service.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2009
  10. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Waitresses/waiters earn what little money they get. It is hard work. Reasonable services deserve 20% from me.

11. bedbug jr

bedbug jr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I don't use a percentage scale and tip according to service received. A pleasant personality goes a long way toward the enjoyment of a meal and the tip will usually by far exceed the recommended percentage. Stay safe and enjoy the meal!!!:wink:

12. SWeiss

SWeiss New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Every waiter/waitress starts out with a 20% tip when I walk in the door. It's up to them if they want to stay at that level.

If the service is above and beyond I may tip more.

13. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Amen. My wife is a waitress and it is hard to believe how many cheapskates there are. Go to McDonalds if you cant tip.
    She makes 2.13 an hour, everything else is tips.
    Definately dont want to be a cheap regular.:wink:

14. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    if you eat out you should be able to tip other wise cook in

15. ~Austin~

~Austin~ New Member

State:
    Texas
    Is basing your tip amount on how pretty the waitress is bad?:eek:oooh:

16. catman79

catman79 New Member

State:
    iowa
    depending on the service i tip very well,if the service is really bad i still tip just not as well,i have tipped up to 50% before because of good service amnd as low as 5% for bad

17. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    I do the same depending on quality of service:wink:

18. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Now that depends on whether or not the Mrs. is with me...:smile2::smile2:

19. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I was raised up to tip. Tip the waitress and tip my hat. lol The one thing I don't like is tipping on paper. I am a leave the money on the table kind of guy. I learned a long time ago when I was bussing tables not to hide tips under or between service ware. When I unloaded my tray at the dish washer's station she ask me which table the money came from? What money?:eek:oooh: Boy, your gonna get in big trouble! lol I was very careful after that.:wink:

20. SouthGADan

SouthGADan New Member

State:
    Lyons, GA
    Anyone who knows me will tell you that I am tight with money and watch every dollar, but that never stops me from tipping. I read that blue-collar patrons tip more than wealthy patrons; maybe it's because they understand a little better what the waiters and waitresses go through.

I don't like it when people take out all their frustrations on the waiting staff. If the kitchen staff sucks, and your food is slow to come out, undercooked, or of poor quality, please don't take it out on the servers, there's rarely anything they can do to help this. Many times the waiting staff is on top of their game, and the kitchen is just incompetent.