Tips for tying heavy line?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by JPritch, Jan 16, 2007.

1. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    I tried to tie some 60 lb mono leader material the other night and had a hard time getting it to sinch tight. I eventually gave up and ended up using my 30 lb mono line as leader material.

Do you all have any tips or do I just need to muscle it more?

2. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Wet your knot before you try to tighten it. It will make a world of difference.

3. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    What knot are you using?

4. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Like Beetle said if ya wet it it seems to slip up tight a little better

5. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Everyone has a preference for knots, but mine happens to be the uni-knot. When I tie that heavy stuff, I use a uni with only about 3 loops, wet the line and pull everything up slowly and smoothly, using the fingers to help tighten up the knot, if necessary.
    Another option that will work well, properly done, is to use crimped sleeves. The proper size sleeve, properly crimped, makes a very strong connection.

6. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    I tie 50# big game with uni-knots and palomar knots, just wet the knot before pulling it tight. I snell with 80# big game on 10/0 hooks as leaders then put a loop in the other end with a surgeon's knot so that to change or replace a hook all I have to do is loop the leader loop through my swivel.

7. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I would try a palomor knot, its the best knot I have used.

8. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Thanks guys. I've been using Palomar knots. I did a little reading about knots and like the idea of snelling the hooks and using a Palomar at the swivel.

I'm hoping a combination of some water and extra muscle will get those knots tight for me!

9. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    This may sound strange but plain water isn't wet enough.
    Add a tiny bit of dish soap or use spit. Also, get yourself a six inch piece of broom handle to wrap the leader around so you don't have to wrap it around your hand. You will be able to pull the knots up much tighter.
    I use 40lb line for leaders, not for the strength but for the abrasion resistance and it takes quite a pull to cinch up knots in the thick mono.
    All the leaders I tie at home get the 30lb "dead lift test" which is just what it says. A 30lb weight goes on the hook and an eye hook screwed into a piece of broom handle goes through the swivel. Then just lift.
    If your knots will hold that they won't let you down on the river...W

10. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    You can also pull on the tag end with pliers while also pulling on the main line. Wet/slick line helps too.

11. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    You may need a different knot, or just might need to adjust how you tie it.

Uni knot works well even in heavy mono.

As a rule, knots that call for multiple wraps (like a clinch knot), the heavier the line is, the less wraps you should make. The clinch usually calls for 7 or 8 wraps of the line, in line over 50 lb I do 5 wraps. Generally, though, I'll just use the uni knot instead.

12. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Broom handle...good idea.

My hands felt like hamburger after I tied 15 leaders the other night using only my hands.

13. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat Active Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I try to tie mine in the garage . I hook it onto a nail in my work bench a work in tight that way, like they said a little spit won't hurt.