Tips for taking a turkey with a bow?

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by onlyone, Apr 4, 2006.

1. onlyone

onlyone New Member

State:
    SE Kansas
    Well it starts here in SE Kansas next wednesday. Needless to say, I cant wait. I counted 7 fly down from a roost on our land last week and all kinds of tracks in our just-planted corn field. I am going to try to take one with a bow this year and video it. Any tips?:rolleyes:

2. tkyhnt

tkyhnt New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Start with a good blind, This will let you get away with adjusting the video camera once the tom get in close. If at all possible I would suggest taking along a partner to help video. I would also suggest putting a Jake decoy facing the blind, this will force the Tom to put his back to you allowing you to get drawn and release without him suspecting a thing. Let us know how it goes. I have tried many times in the fall to take a bird with my bow. I have come close but the feathers do not cook up to well.

3. TeamCatHazzard

TeamCatHazzard New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Welcome to the BOC tkyhnt! As far as tips....DONT MOVE! LOL just kidding. No I will suggest a Double Bull blind though. They are absolutely AWESOME for turkey hunting and provide enough room and cover to video it as well. Those gobbler quilotines are also some bad A$$ broadheads for turkey hunting with a bow! Good luck man and let us know how it goes!

4. bluecatnut

bluecatnut New Member

State:
    freeburg illinois
    i second what teamcat said 1000%:cool:

5. brian sax

brian sax New Member

State:
    shawnee kansas
    i agree with these guys, a blind could be the most usefull thing for bow hunting turkeys. Good scouting and a nice decoy set up and you should have one bagged, or two. Good luck.

6. goose1

goose1 New Member

State:
    indiana
    Try Culing Soft To The Birds

7. craddock1

craddock1 Active Member

State:
    TENNESSEE
    i feed the birds and squirels. dang turkeys have found out. they come by the dozens and eat our corn. been shooting them with a bb gun but they come right back. saw several hundred in the woods last week. didn't know you had to hunt or hide to get one.

8. fat_fish55

fat_fish55 New Member

State:
    illinois
    aim for the base of the neck or the neck itself and hope to see it get chopped clean off

9. onlyone

onlyone New Member

State:
    SE Kansas
    Ya those Gobbler Guillitines (not sure I spelled that right) are illegal here in Kansas I've heard. I already have a double bull blind so that wond be a prob. I have heard that like a deer drops when you release, a turkey will jump. Is that true and should I aim a little high?