Tips for staying awake

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by farmer, Jul 7, 2008.

1. farmer

farmer New Member

State:
    Osceola, MO
    This is for the guys that stay up all night fishing. What do you do to keep you a wake for the drive home? I have an hour long drive from my favorite fishing spot and I know it can be a long ride home. I know most drink lots of coffee but I don't like it so I drink lots of Mt Dew. Another thing I will do is stop often and get out and just walk around and stretch. That gets the juices flowing again. One other thing I do is talk on the phone. It keeps your mind a wake.
    I hope this helps some people and I would like to hear some other ideas that you guys do. And remember to be careful out there. If you cant stay awake pull off the road and take a nap. Thanks

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I dont stay out fishing late,I usually quit by 10 pm,unless they are really hitting. I do however work all nite at times. As long as I got my cold water and snuff ,I'm good. It might take me a full week to get back to normal tho.:cool2:

3. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    You ever seen a diurnal Coon?????

:004:

4. Philiagorillia

Philiagorillia New Member

State:
    Missouri
    On long hauls i always keep a small cooler with some Monster energy drinks, Lipton Tea and snacks in, i find that stuffing my face keeps me awake. I also keep the windows down even during the winter months on long hauls i will crack the windows and turn the heat down, the minute i get all warm and cozy i start gettin sleepy. Also, i know this isnt too good, but if i really need to make it to where im going and its a long drive i have found that if i take a few sudafeds they will keep me perky as well. I almost never do this unless its and emergency trip more than a few hours away. Safest thing to do, is just call ahead if you can and just pull over and take a nap or get a room at a hotel.

5. bumper

bumper New Member

State:
    Georgia
    When I know I'm headin' out for an all-nighter, I start with trying to take a nap before I go. When I stop for gas on the way there I usually buy a couple of the big cans of energy drink. My boat is big enough that I can take a nap on the front deck if I choose. Usually the last couple of hours before dawn are the toughest to stay awake. If the fish aren't biting, I'll take a nap and hopefully get woken up by my drag a buzzin'. Around dawn I'll drink an energy drink, and between that and the morning sun, it keeps me awake until I get home. I'll ride with the windows down or whatever it takes to stay alert for the drive home. I find that staying all night and driving back during daylight hours is easier for me than trying to drive back at 3 or 4 in the morning. If you get really tired then take a nap in your boat or vehicle before your drive back. I prefer to fish nights in the summer because the nights are cooler, there are less people out, and the bite seems better at night during the summer to me. It does take some gettin' used too and you should definitely not drive if your falling asleep at the wheel.

6. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    I stay out fer days not hrs. A cote to sleep on and bells on the locked up reels/rods. One needs good sleep to stay safe on the roads plz.

:beat_brick:

7. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Im pretty lucky in that I got two great catfishing lakes withing 45 minutes - 1 hour drive... I usually fish until around 1:30am-2am... Im usually drinking a Mt Dew on the ride home, but I drink so much of it that doesn't really keep me up at nite.. I can drink one and then go to bed heh...

I've been catfishing since I was a wee little one and it always seems there is something else you can learn or do so I usually Think about the trip.. What did I learn, why this or that didn't work, should I have tried that spot I was thinking of instead of where I did, moved more, stayed longer etc., need to change anything on the boat setup or sometimes something happened on the trip that triggers an old memory and I wander back in my memories. Usually home before I know it hehehe....

8. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    I used to try and drive home after long nights of fishing, but it just got too much. I find now that it's just easier to set the clickers on the rods and get some zzzz's in the boat. No point in staying up all night, the fish I'm after aren't dink tapping - they'll wake me up when they hit:smile2:

I usually crash around 1 or 2 and set the alarm on the phone to wake me up every hour or so and to check/change bait or move if I'm feeling ambitious. Not only does this make the drive home a snap, but I'm not totally useless the next day:wink: I'll usually sleep till the sun wakes me up and if it's a nice, cool morning, I might just roll over and saw some more logs. Nothing makes me sleep better than the sound of the river, anyway. Another tip I've found to make the mornings easier is to keep a toothbrush and toothpaste on the boat.

9. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Here's my two cents: The only thing worse than a sleepy person driving home, Is a sleepy person driving home with a phone shoved to his/her ear!

Most of us have some quality equipment with good bait clickers. I always find a few winks of sleep during the night simply by putting my rods in the holders and allowing the equipment to let me know when the fish are there. You may miss a couple, but you will make it home safe.

Also with this type of trip it is very important to take someone with you, that way you have someone to talk too. I have found that if I have my wife in the truck, I never get sleepy. I think it is simply that whole male must protect women ego. Even if she is sound asleep, it makes a difference for me.

When you do get tired and need a break, I have found that pulling over and doing pushup (yes I am in the army) always helps. That type of exercise stimulates a large part of your bodies muscles and has a very good impact.

The number 1 best way to stay awake............................Catch more fish so that your adrenaline is all flowing and you are too excited to go to sleep.

10. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Years ago, they had these fat women diet pills. They would wake you up. The government even used to give them to soldiers during WW2 to keep them alert.

Well the government made those pills illegal. lol [ all good things come to an end] So now I just catch a nap. Most of my all nighters are running jugs in TN, so I just crawl in the camper or tent and get some sleep. We run jugs every 2 hours, so if you miss a run, it's not that big a deal.

There used to be a lot of doubles done in the steel mills with those pills. When a Major breakdown happened, a person could not do 7 days and 7 doubles with out help. 16 hours a day, 7 days a week, there are no Super Men, those boys were getting help. lol

Adding chocolate to coffee will super charge it.

11. daddio

daddio New Member

State:
    kansas
    when i was a road driver i carried a washcloth in my cooler and wrung it out with cold water and wiped my face it worked for me

12. bumper

bumper New Member

State:
    Georgia
    One more thing I want to add. If you're going to sleep on the boat at night, then make sure to leave your navigation lights on, on the front and back of the boat, and anchor close enough to the bank so that other boats can get by with ease. I know on the TN River there is more barge traffic at night, so I leave the lights on so I will be seen and leave them plenty of room before I doze off.

13. farmer

farmer New Member

State:
    Osceola, MO
    Thanks guys for all your replies. :0a31:

14. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    No problem, I'm sure that it is more info than you could have ever wanted!:smile2:

15. smokey

smokey New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I find that a large bowl of three bean chili will keep me awake for two days.:wink:
    smokey

16. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    I have a 1 year old at home, so the all nighters at the lake are much more relaxing and restful than a night at home... lol.

* I always say I'm gonna stay up all night, but usually I am asleep before dawn and get in a few hours before the wife starts calling my cell phone wondering if I am ever coming home..

17. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I really, really don't like to drive when I'm sleepy, but when the occasion arises where I have to, the best trick I've ever used is to toss my cap on my head. Just let it land whichever way it happens to land, and don't touch it. It'll drive you nuts. You'll be too busy worrying about your hat to get sleepy. Sounds too dumb to work, but it does!

18. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I ask today what i need to bring the 9th. I can see a pillow would be in order.:smile2: This is gonna sound crazy but when i'm noddin out, i tickle the roof of my mouth with the tip of my tongue. It don't have lasting effects but will make me snap out of a stupor. Try it sometime.

19. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    My #1 answer is sleeping on the boat. Other things I do are, find a partner that talks a lot ( I have one of those, LOL ), smoke cigars, eat sunflower seeds, keep the window down, stop a few times, sip on coffee and have a donut. I've also know to pull in a rest area and catch a 30min nap. It sometimes is just enough to get ya going. Whatever method used its important to realize when your a danger to others.

-Jim-