Tips for small lakes or ponds?

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by katlover, Aug 25, 2006.

1. katlover

katlover New Member

State:
    california
    does anybody have tips for small lakes or small ponds they're greatly needed. for bait i might try crawlers 'cause i saw this guy catch a pretty big cat on one at the local pond. any information is welcomed.

2. bigcat_chaser

bigcat_chaser New Member

State:
    Cincy, Ohio
    To give you any type of credible advice would need to know what type of catfish are you fishing for? there are several different tactics that are used for each species, night crawlers will work for channel cats and to some degree for blue cats if you lake is stocked with them will work for flatheads on a limited basis but for flats your best bet is heavy duty tackle and live bait usually bluegills or shad. The channels and blues will more readily take cut bait, chicken livers,small minnows,shrimp etc... try to fish for them close to structure in the lake(logs, rockpiles, dropoffs etc..) I have most luck on the bottom or slightly above it. :smile2:

3. katlover

katlover New Member

State:
    california
    i'm fishin for channels. thanks for the info.

4. truckin4x4

truckin4x4 New Member

State:
    columbus, Ohio

i agree with bigcat_chaser. but pond cat hit on about anything though. i like to use hotdogs. bread is great to for pond fishing. do you know if the cat are feed on a regulure bassis? if so try to fish with what they feed them. dough balls are great to for pond cats. well good luck and keep us posted on your catches.

5. katlover

katlover New Member

State:
    california
    the pond isn't very small. its kinda like a very small lake. i don't know what they are fed, but i'll try and find out.

6. gcarlin

gcarlin New Member

State:
    Richmond ,Indiana
    If it were me, I would ask around on some information on the lake. you would be surprised at how much information that the guy in your local bait house will have. I agree on the bait choices. what would really help us is more information as far as maybe the depth,bait fish, how often is it fished. Good luck.

7. katlover

katlover New Member

State:
    california
    i know that there are small bluegill, channel catfish, there might be carp, and trout stocked in the winter. i believe the depth is 25 ft. at the deepest.

8. Wildchilde01

Wildchilde01 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Small bluegill make great cat bait for any of the 3 species of cat. Use 3 inchers if ya are going for good size channel cats.

I also recomend Magic Cat Whopper Shad stinky dough bait. Not only does it work great but they are a sponsor of this site. Liver and Hotdogs work great as well.

9. Wil

Wil New Member

State:
    Minden Nebraska
    get a regular tub of tyson chicken livers, a lantern, pole holders, bells, trebble hooks, egg sinkers, swivels, a cooler full of your favorite beverage get out there at about dark with your best friend and enjoy the fun!

10. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    This time of the year crickets And grasshoppers are a overlooked good bait:smile2:

11. katlover

katlover New Member

State:
    california
    i've tried livers, but they always seem to come off. what do i need to do to hold them onto the hook?

12. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
  13. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I also recomend Magic Cat Whopper Shad stinky dough bait. Not only does it work great but they are a sponsor of this site. Liver and Hotdogs work great as well.[/quote]

I used this stuff all the time. Whopper shad seems to outproduce their other flavors. This weekend it out performed worms.

14. katlover

katlover New Member

State:
    california
    thanks for the info. i'll have to try the cured livers. about the dough bait, at my local wal-mart the only stuff sold is some liver&blood magic bait, charlies blood bait, and catfish dynomite. are any of these good? i'm not really going for monster catfish, just some for the pan, but it would be nice to catch a big cat.

15. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I also use the liver and blood. It was a close second to the whopper shad. If you have more than one wallyworld check others. They often carry different things.

16. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    It took me about 4 trips to a spot like you are taking about to get on to them [I bank fish] . See if you can get a map and find the deepest area , thats where they will hang in the daytime . If there are good shallow areas on up to the shore I think they will move out of the deepwater to shallow water in the evening .

17. IrishO'Brady

IrishO'Brady New Member

State:
    Ga
    Sometimes I mix the berkley catfish bait (blood) with a douhy piece of bread and ball it up tight. Becuase the power bait actually floats, use an egg sinker and then a swivel with about a 1- 1 1/2 ft. leader. This keeps it slightly off the bottom. I add in the white bread for a little bit of visibility, since the blood flavor is black in color. Works at most ponds I fish for catchign channels. JMHO