tips for oconee

Discussion in 'GEORGIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by catfish1083, May 19, 2009.

1. catfish1083

catfish1083 New Member

State:
    georgia
    alright my boc brothers i have a memorial day weekend planed with some friends (who dont fish:sad2:) but i am taking my boat and doing some fishing :big_smile: after the cookouts and such, so if anyone has conditions and any tips on where to hook up on some of those BIG flatheads im all ears! all so how about the blues, and channels? thank yall very much!

2. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Good luck with the fishing Dustin. Did you get the maps I emailed to you?

3. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    where on oconee ya camping? I fish mostly above I-20 and on up into both the rivers.....I've only baitfished down below I-20....but there are blues and flatheads down there too. I would try up in some creek channels off of the main river channel, around timber plots (which are plentiful on oconee, be careful when running at night, and day lol).......try shallow water structure, especially near deep water. Running up in either river wouldn't be a bad idea either, but I would do that during daylight for sure....you need to follow the riverchannel which isn't marked, or run pretty slow if you get off the channel.....

4. BassMassey

State:
    Oconee
    there's a primitive campground at dyars pasture.......which is actually on the oconee river just before lake oconee backwaters. North Shore Resort is pretty nice w/ tent camping or you can get cabins which are right near the water, and Parks Ferry is a georgia power campground which is pretty nice....both of these campgrounds are just above I-20 which will give you easy access to either river arm......these are you three choices if you want to fish the upper end of the lake..

5. catfish1083

catfish1083 New Member

State:
    georgia
    thanks bass i think the place is below 20. i was planning on tryin some of the flats at the back of the creeks due to the fact i have a small boat and i like to stay out of the way of bigger boats. thanks:big_smile: for this post brother

6. catfish1083

catfish1083 New Member

State:
    georgia

i will keep that in mind for other trips i kinda made plans to stay with my buddies and i dont want to be rude

7. BassMassey

State:
    Oconee
    i hear ya......there's fish to be caught down in the lower end of the lake i know for sure......just haven't gotten around to it yet......me and some buddies was fishing for bream under the lick creek bridge a few weeks ago and we caught a lil 10" flathead.....so they're down there, blues too! There's alot more deeper water below I-20. I'm gonna start fishing around where sugar creek hits the main lake some this summer....good luck, let us know how it goes....

8. catfish1083

catfish1083 New Member

State:
    georgia
    i will defiantly let ya know how it goes. what type bait do you use for blues?

9. BassMassey

State:
    Oconee
    gizzard shad are real good for blues......they've been biting on bream heads just as good though......well that's mostly what i've been using lately....they'll hit a live bream too though just as quick as a flathead would. I use whatever i can catch before i go fishing........shad, bream, lil bass, crappie, a big carp cut up is good too.....I would throw out some cut baits and a few live ones too.....

10. BassMassey

State:
    Oconee
    how far are ya from oconee? we need some more oconee catfishers on here to share reports and such........I could start an oconee thread, but It would mostly be just me talking to myself......which would probably certify me as a crazy.......:amazed:

11. catfish1083

catfish1083 New Member

State:
    georgia
    where is a good place to catch those shad? thanks again for all your help:big_smile:

12. BassMassey

State:
    Oconee
    i catch mine off the docks at sugar creek marina......early morning before the sun comes up.....but i can't catch a bunch of em........if i get 4 big shad after half an hour im doin good, lol....threadfin shad are easier for me to catch....you can usually find them around any of the bridges, especially when they're pulling water. Bream is an easy bait to get and works about as good i would say.

13. BassMassey

State:
    Oconee
    are you guys juggin or fishin' rod & reel?

14. catfish1083

catfish1083 New Member

State:
    georgia
    i will be rod and reel fishing. i live in griffin ga about an hour and a half to two hours away. so i dont get down there much:sad2:

15. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
    This site is full of info and great people like Oconee Aaron! :big_smile: LM_O

16. catfish1083

catfish1083 New Member

State:
    georgia
    i agree 100% boc brothers are the best!

17. catfish1083

catfish1083 New Member

State:
    georgia
    ok well the trip didnt go as planed :sad2: i only caught 7 cats all weekend but i did not fish much at all and the biggest fish was a six lbs blue. it seemed as if we had a t-storm blow in every time i got good and ready to fish . or the people i was with decide to go skinny dipping at 2 am.:confused2::smile2::smile2::smile2: but we all had a good time and i plan to hit oconee hard real soon for big cats:big_smile:

18. BassMassey

State:
    Oconee
    sorry you didn't get to fish as much as you wanted, but sounded like you had fun anyway...lol. let me know when you head down next time....maybe we can hook up...or hit em up w/ two boats and figure something out on the lower end of the lake........

19. catfish1083

catfish1083 New Member

State:
    georgia
    i hear ya. we did have fun! i need a bigger boat for the lower end of the lake.