Tips for newbie flathead fisherman like me

Discussion in 'LOCAL PENNSYLVANIA TALK' started by readingcatfisher, Dec 13, 2008.

1. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    I will heading out this spring for my first season of flathead fishing I pretty much picked up the right gear I was just looking for some tips and advice that might be helpful on my journey into a new type of fishing

2. TheRiverRat

TheRiverRat New Member

State:
    Hamilton,Ohio
    use a good hearty live bait, and learn how to use circle hooks, and moast of all do not try to horse the fish :wink:.........RAT

3. readingcatfisher

State:
    Berks coun
    I kinda got a jump start I was taken out by a friend into flathead waters but it was too late in the season I learned circle hooks I got myself a good bait bucket I got some practice on some nice sized channels I will be using 65#spiderwire and a 40#shock leader 7'mh action pole okuma abf65 reel ready with equippment just any advice or tips I will mostly use sunfish or legal smallmouth for bait or some perch rock bass bullheads or whatever I can get

4. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Fish the Skuke! :wink: :smile2: Sounds like you have the proper equipment and bait part figured out! Now just find yourself some good spots and your in business. I find a big net useful. Proper hook size, I like big Kahles in the 7/0 to 10/0 size for large bait or big circle hooks. No-roll sinkers are a favorite for weight. I would say putting the time on the water is the biggest key! :big_smile:

5. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    1. Have patience! Don't expect to go out there and catch the big ones right away. I'm not saying it can't be done, but most flathhunters will back me on this one. Every fishing trip is learning experience.

2. Know your waters! Each of my fishing holes are fished a specific time of year and under specific weather conditions. By knowing where they are the specific point in time will make fishing a lot less frustrating.

3. Time on the water! Weekend Warrior Timmy who only fishes 3pm to 9 pm on saturdays will have a less chance of catching the bigguns than Tan who has his whole summer off:wink:.

4. Bait! make sure it's lively! Spend the extra money and get yourself a good aeration system. If you're gonna spend the money on a nice rod and reel, mind as well got the whole nine yards and do it right! I would take a lively sucker with a can pole over a dead bluegill with a $500 set up. That is how important bait is.

5. Other essentials include have the right stuff. Have a headlight, food, drinks, bugstray, a chair because you will be sitting a listening for you clickers, and just have fun, don't get frustrated, and enjoy the extraordinary fishery we have here in the lower corner of Pennsylvania.

6. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 Well-Known Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    Tan pretty much covered it. In the spring I like to use gills, crappie and bullheads.

7. readingcatfisher

State:
    Berks coun
    well thanks guys you know I kinda know a little bit what I'm doing I will be getting a power inverter and a new aquarium pump for now I have a battery operated bubbler so in the car I can use the inverter plug in and everywhere else I can use the battery op one I'm not expecting a giant my first trip out but I am expecting at least a 20# by the end of the season!!

8. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Take Tan, Ken and Scott with you.....:wink: ...Lol.........But on a serious note Tan covered the basics...Especially Patience...I have learn if you bring along some of the Weekend Warriors (people who arent into fishing) ...sometime's the trip get cuts short...Tan will back me up on that one...

9. readingcatfisher

State:
    Berks coun
    I'm also trying to find a fishing boat that I can afford wife ain't too excited about that I did find one for 500 but it was already sold I'm gonna keep lookin though

10. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Flathead fishing is certainly not for children! It's not like bluegill, stocked trout, or even channel catfishing.

As for the weekend warrior, they usually want to go home by 10PM, complain about the bugs and

Children and weekend warriors both get bored too easy because you are not catching 30 fish per night.

11. readingcatfisher

State:
    Berks coun
    Tan my father-in-law wants to go with me and I told him to pack a lunch and he said stay till 9pm I laughed at him I said I gotta drive an hour to get to where these fish are I'm not staying 3-4 hours and leaving I'm camping till sunrise I want this bad ,after my heart attack I have a sense of urgency about things like time isn't always gonna be there

12. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I believe you will accomplish that goal Jim.

13. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN

You found the right spot. Go to the member library and you can find some good info on how to target/catch flatheads

14. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Slow down make the time....go with the flow & enjoy the persuit or them flatts gonna kick the snot out of you...paitence ...luck & faith ....its the redneck way.....lott of great tips now ya gotta put em to use and get back to us with a report:cool2:pics are good to we like them(LOL)
    Pa is a good man you two will be MIA fer the duration:wink:Sometimes you gotta have faith & paitence there too its a freakin hr. drive(LOL)...I am with ya cabin fever is rockin a little (LOL)I want out there myself!

15. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    80 # braid, 8/0 hook, 8 inch carp, cast and repeat and hold ON :wink:

16. readingcatfisher

State:
    Berks coun
    Kidnap Lenny,Ken,and Tan grab some suckers carp and sunnies and go fishing:wink:

17. socex

socex New Member

State:
    Industry, Pennsylvania
    Tan, this year I'm going to be a weekend warrior due to new work schedule. Only fish sat. and Sun. nights. The good thing is that the local tourneys are on weekends, so I'll be able to hit them all this year. I have always only fished 1-3 times a week and besides last years debacle, I've done pretty good out there. It can be done. You just have to work hard and put in the limited hours you have.

18. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P

Amen Brother!

It's not like the fishing shows where they catch a messload in 30 minutes.

Good luck in the tourneys. What kind of tourneys? Blues? Flats? Channels? BRING HOME THE BACON!

19. socex

socex New Member

State:
    Industry, Pennsylvania
    Tan, they are longest cat tourneys mostley. One at end of year where you bring in 5 heaviest. I'd like to see some of these western pa guys get in on some of these when they have a chance, always good to fish against good compitition, and a chance to meet some of these guys.

20. rythymroach

rythymroach New Member

State:
    United States
    Regardless of what you may hear, all flatheads are apex ambush predators just like crocodiles. they lay in wait in some of the nastiest snag filled places and wait for dinner to come to them.
    So remember first of all that logjams big rocks and submerged structure will hold the big ones.
    Secondly you have to get the bait to them, sometimes that's the hardest part.
    third I would suggest since it's your first year of targeting flatheads to use a straight line rig!!
    use heavy enough line for them (I use 30 lb) but when fishing those nasty snag salad places I'll use maybe a 2 ft leader of like 12lb test on the end. above the swivel I'll place my weight and below just the hook and bait.
    that way if you get snagged which you will you can break the line losing the lighter lb leader but not your sinker!! it's easier to keep fishing that way.

the only other thing I can tell ya is flatheads fight like scuba divers on steroids. So when you do get one to eat your bait then you may have a big tug of war to remove him from his hidey hole!!

a word of caution though, be sure your hands are clean and avoid gasoline, alcohol etc bug juice on your hands because it will affect your catch ratio!!
    Catfish have a linear line system of smell that can detect minute parts per billion of water of scents, so ifn ya bait that hook with a big old fish and it smells like a gas pump or deet then mr smart old big fish will not touch it even if you throw it right in front of him.
    Also sound carries big time on the water, don't spook the fish with a lot of sinker splashes or loud stuff.
    dropping a tackle box can drive fish away as quick as anything. just my honest opinion.
    if you can: fish with the sun in your face rather than your back, Catfish have a keen sense of sight as well as smell, shadows on the water are a big spooker of fish! Especially moving shadows! That's one reason that night fishing is sometimes more successful because you take away their ability to see well under cover of darkness! You basically use the cover and cut his defense systems in thirds leaving him only his sense of smell and taste to the bait!! You remove his best defense just by night fishing!

Most of all enjoy your day! Flatheading is a wait game but if you use the old noodle when you head out you will find the places they hold in and set up camp there and fish like crazy.

Most of the times I honestly believe our big flatheading adventures will be memorable if we just look at the little things we often dont think bout that inhibit our chances of a big catch or a good catch!!

An old saying goes remember the little things! because one day you will look back and realize they were the big things!!

I honestly believe that very thing!!

Now GO GET EM!!!!