tips for fishing the winter months

Discussion in 'GEORGIA RIVERS TALK' started by catfishassasin, Nov 6, 2009.

1. catfishassasin

catfishassasin New Member

State:
    FTBEENING
    what do you guys do diffrent when it gets cold?

2. rclark

rclark New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Put on a coat:wink::smile2::smile2:

3. Bomberman

Bomberman New Member

State:
    Spring Run, PA
    Or three!:wink: Dress for comfort then add an extra layer...it's always colder on the water that it is at your home. I also try to put the bait right on top of the fish so they don't have to move very far for it. Also, sometimes I use a little smaller bait, but I usually start out with large baits and go smaller if I don't start getting some action.

Tight lines.

4. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Just like the title says. It's a situation where you do things around home an when that's done look for other activities to get into.

5. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    I like to drift the winter months , can cover a lot of territory. Better chance of finding where the fish are schooled up. Once you find them, then mark the area then you can set up or drift it again.

6. efrith

efrith New Member

State:
    Seale Alabama
    Use smaller baits and fish deeper water the fish go deep when the water temps drop. I like to fish around trees in the deep water but not all the fish go deep so you can catch some fish shallow look for mussel beds.
    If you find a school of bait fish all around it you should do good also try the mouth of feeder creeks.

7. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Deeper water, Smaller baits, much slower presentation. Be patient and stay warm. A good boat heater will keep you warm and the rods eyes from freezing up. Carry a dry changes of clothes in case of an accident.

8. puppypal

puppypal New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Ar
    Layers! 1st oof Patience secondly
    I have found that my ears and hands tend to stay the coldest. I have one of them huge headband things that cover my ears.That alone is a lifesaver. They come in black and even camo! LOL Also cloth gloves with the fingers cut out helps a bunch. Skipjack smelly gloves are nasty! LOL so if ya cut the fingers out ya can still wipe away the smell for a bit!
    Thermals! Because worst case and the sun pops out ya can take off a few layers! LOL

9. Do you use the same rigs for drifting as you do for anchoring Mike?:big_smile:

10. catfishassasin

State:
    FTBEENING
    is it better to fish live or cut baits in the winter

11. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    Usually a Carolina rig, but have been also experimenting, just started this year using the cat bobbers from Pete(Wildwolf Products). Think I can use both at the same time. Carolina rig right at the boat and also use the Catbobbers out a little further from the boat. Kind of cover a little more territory as I'm drifting along. Still playing around with using both setups at the same time.

Tim, I use cutbait and also some other stuff. Haven't had much luck with livebait in the winter.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2009
  12. efrith

efrith New Member

State:
    Seale Alabama
    I have found that here on the Chattahoochee river that cut bait works best in the winter.

13. catfishassasin

State:
    FTBEENING
    thanks for all the tips fellas if you think of anything else you guys like to do in the cold weather keep postin them

14. catwhisper

catwhisper New Member

State:
    georgia
    i would say the more your on the water the more you get use to the cold but you dont untill everything turns numb. then you get a polebender and your warm for a little while.

15. catfishassasin

State:
    FTBEENING
    that must be why i aint catching them im not cold enough..........lol thanks cat whisper

16. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Above all else think SAFETY FIRST when winter time fishing. Do not fish alone, wear your life vest. Always be aware of whats going on around you at all times, it only takes a second for you to end up in the water :eek:oooh:. Not trying to scare anyone, just want everyone to return home to their families safe. Winter time is by far the best time of year to be on the water catching numbers as well as some personal bests.

17. redbone

redbone New Member

State:
    smiths sta
    First thing to do after getting your tips.
    turn computer off and hit the water
    experience is and shall always be the best teacher.
    true you can always get another angle on things here.
    but find out what works for you....by getting out on the water and trying different things.

This has always worked for me. :roll_eyes:

18. katman#1

katman#1 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    find bait fish underneath the bait they will be there:big_smile: