Tips for fishing the Mississippi near Alton

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS RIVERS TALK' started by hagonzal, May 27, 2008.

1. hagonzal

hagonzal New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Hi all,

I was fishing the Mississipi near Alton IL today. I went to one of the wing dams, and fished a deeper hole below the dam. But I did not even get a bite. I was using cut shad.

I am thinking of going back to the river tomorrow. Can any of you please recommend a good spot for big cats (preferrable blues or flatheads). And also is there a good area to catch shad ?

Thanks a lot
    --Hector

2. NEW CAT

NEW CAT New Member

State:
    illinois
    Hi I am new to this site. My name is NEW CAT.How are the water levels.

3. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Hector, if you can get over to the Maple Island area across the river, (still Illinois territory) there is alot of descent bank area and usually pretty descent area for cast netting bait, just watch the rip/rap. Good parking and several different bank spots, you can easily see it on one of the map search sites. The area is just below the Alton dam..........
    Good Luck! :big_smile:

4. Brentkeele

Brentkeele New Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    Usually across the river from the Maple Island boat ramp up against the walls of the lock is a good place for shad, I'm told, but today several people (including the boat I was in) were catching as much shad as they could use right at the boat ramp.

5. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have a question. I was just googling alton dam, and I see a parking lot, and a lot of boat trailers parked at the dam on the missouri side. but, i dont see any boats in the water. how close can you fish to the dam? and if i launch a boat from the missouri side and fish in the dam, I can still use an illinois license. right?

6. noj77

noj77 Member

State:
    Saint Peters, M
    That launch is considered Illinois and either a Missouri or Illinois fishing permit is good there. It is a shared waterway. Not sure however to the distance you can be from the dam, though it should be posted.

7. Fishhead1

Fishhead1 Member

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Eric
    If you look on the lock wall there is a white sign which says you can not go beyond this point. I believe it's 100 yards. They also don't want you too near the end of the lock walls. You need to keep in mind that barges need room to get in that lock and they often don't come straight at it.

Barges themselves also let you know if you are in the way via a blast of their horn.

8. Ryan 57

Ryan 57 New Member

State:
    Illinios
    when the locks are closed or the water isn't real high you can catch shad in the slough right by the boat ramp. If the water is up with heavy current go to the il. side of the dam and throw your net along the wall. You should catch all of the shad you need there. As for place to fish, just use your depth finder to find those deep holes below the dikes. There are also alot of good spots around the wash outs in the sloughs. use your depth finder and look for spots below the dam also. (Hint) big yellow marker. That should help ya out... Good luck to ya.

9. hagonzal

hagonzal New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Hi Guys,

Thanks a lot for all the responses. I apologize for not posting earlier but I was doing quite a bit of traveling. I went back to Alton dam yesterday, and caught a nice 40+ lbs catfish :) (my pb)

--Hector

Attached Files:

• a.jpg
      a.jpg
      File size:
      27.8 KB
      Views:
  10. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Nice bluecat! Congrats!

11. Dredge

Dredge Member

State:
    Arnold,Missouri
    Nice P.B. I've been reading this thread to learn the area,myself.Hope I picked up as much as you did.Way to go.

12. Ryan 57

Ryan 57 New Member

State:
    Illinios
    Nice fish Hector!! Keep us posted if u catch anymore!!

13. thejostes

thejostes New Member

State:
    St. Louis Mo.

It may look like Missouri, but the whole dam is in Illinois. On the road to the dam parking lot there is a sign (Illinois state line)

14. riverrat1003

riverrat1003 Member

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Jay
    the fact that the West Alton site is still considered Illinois territory has to do with the path of the unimproved river before the old and new locks and dams were installed. FYI

15. Zach Davis

Zach Davis Member

Name:
    Zach
    Went to maple island and fished about a mile downstream in the main channel. Caught my pb fish ever on a half of a drum. Weighed in at 55 pounds!!

Attached Files:

labdad, John16, Smity72 and 1 other person like this.