Tips for cooking a Brisket in the oven ?

Discussion in 'The BOC Diner' started by Drawout, Jan 13, 2007.

1. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    Be my first time cooking a brisket and i would like some ideas on how to make it taste good and be tender.

2. wareagle

wareagle New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I like to smoke mine for about 3 hours and then I cover it up with tin foil and cook it for 4 or 5 hours. I like to use royle oak carcoal.

3. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

In the oven. I would say 250 degrees and season to taste before you start cooking. I like to marinate all of my briskets no matter how I am cooking them. I like to use itialian dressing, orange juice and a couple of mint leaves crushed. Marinate over night and cook on a low temp and you will be good to go.

4. Bayoubear

Bayoubear New Member

State:
    near that hellhole dallas
    at least 12 hours in the oven in a covered roasting pan at 225 degrees. 18 hours would be better. put it in oven right before you go to bed and eat it after church on sunday, is how i do mine when i have to use the oven. put some onions, carrots, bell peppers, celery etc in the roaster pan too, they will cook to mush but give good flavor. season it up well before cooking. add a bottle of beer to the pot too.

if youre going to smoke it, do so for the same amount of time and temp. pecan wood is best to use as hickory for that long can make the crust bitter. baste with a mix of olive oil, beer, molasses, and hot pepper. mesquite wood acceptable substitue for pecan.

5. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    around here theres a brisquit marinade called Claude'S it makes em taste like the were smoked all day long if i was makin one in the oven id marinate in that then cook in oven covered in fiol at 400 for about 4 hrs and test for doneness also if you let the meat 'rest' for about 30 min. after cooking it will be much juicer hope this helps

6. shelli davis

shelli davis New Member

State:
    missouri
    i usually let mine marinade over night with bbq suace onions, greenpepper,this usually helps with it being tender than in the morning i had some water and brown sugar bake covered at 285 for roughly 8 hours check on it every so often and spooon the juices back over it i hope this helps you out