Tips for cleaning a reel!

Discussion in 'Reel Repair and Upgrades' started by Nobody Special, Mar 1, 2006.

1. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
    I'm no expert, but I have picked up on a few little things over the years that I would like to share.

Always buy your reels in pairs. That way, if you end up with a bunch of leftover parts when you clean your reel, you can take the other one apart and see where they are supposed to go.

Lay everything on a towel. Parts don't bounce when they hit a soft towel. If you're hard of seeing, use a white towel so you can locate all the parts easier.

When you take a reel apart, lay the pieces in a line in the order you took it apart.

Use screwdrivers that fit the screws properly so you don't mess up the slots.

2. catsmith1

catsmith1 New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana
    Good advise! I still have not made the ag6000 bait click since I first cleaned it. Everything else works great!

3. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    Good info Grumpy, great post.

4. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    I like to use a big metal cooking pan ( like for baking cookies) to clean my reels in that way you don't loose anything.

5. Cornhusker

Cornhusker New Member

State:
    Lancaster, Ohio
    Good post Grumpy. Mind if I add a couple of things?

- A small dab of grease on the screw driver blade will hold those small screws on the screw driver so you can get them started in the hole.

- To get the line on the spool lined up with the level wind, strip off line until it is all the way to the side of the spool. Hold the spool and loosen the level wind pawl screw to let the line guide slide all the way to the side of the spool with the line and tighten the screw back up.

- Fish slime, worm juice and whatever is hard to get off a rod or reel. Use auto polish with "Carnuba" (sp) wax for cleaning. For chrome parts use steel wool with the auto polish. "Carnuba" (sp) wax is a very good cleaner.

- Colored plastic side plates like those on a Penn reel fade and get chalky looking. Wipe some oil on them, let it set a minute or so and wipe as much of the oil off as you can. It will bring back the color.

- Use a tooth brush or very small wire brush to get all of the old grease and dirt out of the gear teeth. A buildup will eventually cause lost performance.

- Use oil and grease designed for fishing reels. Most of it is not expensive and it is designed for this purpose.

6. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I dont clean my reels..I have many abu reels in the 6500-7000 range, I have quite a few that I have fished with hard for over 6 years, and they have never been apart to clean nor have they had a drop of oil on them..I have had one reel go bad, a 7000 had a worm gear go out after 2 years, and that all the problems I have had..Now my spinning reels I have those I have used for over 15 years with no cleaning or greasing..I do wipe the outside of the reel off to remove the slime but that all...Maybe I am just lucky I dont know..But I will add that I attempted to take a abu 6500 apart once for cleaning, the reel ended up in the trash can..I am not mechanically inclined at all..I work with a fellow who fishes a couple 6500's, he claims they have been in use for at least 50 days a year for the last 15 or so years with no maintenance at all, and still work fine.

7. canebreaker

canebreaker Well-Known Member

State:
    Southaven,MS
    That's great news, good luck with them in the furture.

I buy used and old reels. Some of which when you free wheel the spool it barely turns. A true find, uncovering the sideplate and can't find the gears for the old and extra grease.

How much gear does it take to lube a gear? The stir stick that comes from mcdonalds. If you fill the flat part, that maybe to much.

To much grease sits on the sides and turns hard, no good for anything.
    Except maybe a bar of soap.

8. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I oil my paw gear every trip and about every 3rd trip I blow any crud, mud , or dust out of that gear with an air compressor and re oil.

In my lifetime of fishing paws and paw gears always seem to go out at the worst possible times. I just got in the habit of keeping reel oil and a can of Rem oil in my tackle bag and using it before I bait my hook the first time.
    Being that catfishing doesnt require alot of repeated casting and reeling like bass fishing does a well cared for paw and gear should last years and years if maintained.

Its also not a bad idea to keep atleast one spare paw in the tackle bag but in my case I wont replace a paw without replacing the gear also so I carry both.

9. captain5214

captain5214 New Member

State:
    louisiana
    yep, taking them apart is easy. its the putting them back together i got problems with. i unstring them in the winter and spray them down with wd 40 and then when fishing season starts back, up i restring and fish. when i fish in the marsh, i spray them off with the water hose before i save them. i am fond of ambu 5000's. charlie r

10. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Quick question I took my Abu 6500C3 apart now after putting it back together it reels in real choppy doesnt fall when I push in the button any suggestions. I know Ill have to take it apart again but seeing if you all knew of any.

11. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Go to THE REEL MECHANIC on web. down load the scamatic for your reel . they have helped me often. good luck

12. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    I did it the hard way and just took it apart again, what had happened was the 2 little plastic thingies on the spool were getting caught up instead of going where they should have.

13. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey