Tips for Chowan river

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by countryvoodoo, Jun 16, 2006.

1. countryvoodoo

countryvoodoo New Member

State:
    NC
    I live near the chowan river and am looking for some help finding some places catch some nice cats.. I grew up in mid Missouri, catching cats on the Missouri and Osage rivers.. Being in the military I dont get a lot of time to spend on the water so any help would be appreciated... thanks

2. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Welcome to the site, you live in my neck of the woods probably, what town do you live in? I fish the Meherrin and Chowan Rivers a lot, and of course Gaston Lake also. Chowan River is getting better and better, a couple summers ago my dad and I were catching a lot of Channel Cats around 10 pounds off the bank at "Shoops Landing" but it was a waiting game, had to have a lot of patience with some good bait, they would come in schools. Recently we got a boat, so we will be exploring the river more soon. Recently there has been reports of big Blue Cats being caught on the Chowan, 35 pounds, was the biggest so far though. Maybe we can hook up for some fishing around here this summer, you're the first one I've seen on here that fishes the Chowan besides me so far.

3. countryvoodoo

countryvoodoo New Member

State:
    NC
    I live in South Mills but we usually put the boat in at Cannon Ferry. Most of the fishing that I have done has been in Warwick creek and Wiccacon creek... Most cats are usually in the 3-6 pound range. Not very big but alot of fun to catch. Is there a place that I can put the boat in up above gatesville? I havent had much luck fishing the main part of the river down here.

4. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Oh you fish on a much different part then I do, we have only fished around Shoops landing which is a boat ramp in Winton, NC. It's the only boat ramp I know about. How far are you away from Murfreesboro?

5. countryvoodoo

countryvoodoo New Member

State:
    NC
    I'm a little over 50 miles east on 158.The furthest up the Chowan I have fished yet has been there in Gatesville.

6. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Oh, well you're pretty far away from me then, if you come farther up river sometime let me know. We might go tonight.