Tips for catfishing the Aqueduct

Discussion in 'CALIFORNIA RIVERS TALK' started by KING KAT MASTER, Nov 27, 2008.

1. KING KAT MASTER

KING KAT MASTER New Member

State:
    california
    Went to the Aqueduct in hesperia. I don't fish the aqueduct often but i wanted to tri it out. today from 5am till 9am and didn't catch anything got a striper bite on a trout swim bait but no catfish hits. I used a 4oz sinker and the current pushed it up against the edge. Maybe I'm doing somthething wrong? any info will help.

Ps. Happy thanksGiving

2. rrssmith

rrssmith New Member

State:
    Bakersfield
    welcome Romaine, are you using a pyramid sinker or a flat no roll? If not try that.

3. KING KAT MASTER

KING KAT MASTER New Member

State:
    california
    thanx all try it, cuz i was using an eggsinker

4. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    i fished that cement river out of hesperia one time a long time ago. it's swift. gotta use a flat sinker there. can you find a drop in the canal? meaning a small dam! if so, try above or below it. look for ripples in the water. just tiny ripples sometimes like something is on bottem causing water to flow uneven. if you fish it enough and no one is around, take some cement blocks out and throw them in. (just remember where.) then come back and fish them.
    anything to cause a break in flow of water will attract the fish in.
    least i find that true in canals here around yuma.
    gary

5. rrssmith

rrssmith New Member

State:
    Bakersfield
    yeah, you dont want egg sinkers at the aquaduct. they will just catch the current and roll up the bank

6. dhines

dhines New Member

State:
    LA / Calexico
    that is a big no no that i learned with the canals . . . . anything round is worthless as it just rolls. personally i keep flat weights from 1 oz to 4 oz and pyramids from 3 oz to 6 oz. i do keep a couple of round cannon ball weights in the 10 oz range, but those are for a different purpose.

bottom line, keep a lot of different weight sizes. reason being, the current is going to vary greatly and you want to use the lowest about of weight required to keep your bait in that spot you desire. the more weight you have, the more the cat can feel it, the greater chance they will spit it out.

btw, what kind of bait were you using?

gary . . .

i love your idea about the blocks, i am going to try it out at my spot.

7. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    doug, i've used rocks, (1/2 to ft in size) cynder blocks. anything that breaks the flow of water. gives the fish a disturbance to get behind. just don't get caught putting in water. they frown on putting things in canals.
    as for bait, channels, normal things. from crawlers, liver, stink, crawdads, bacon, hotdogs, even caught them on fried potatoe wedgies. LOL
    for flatheads, if any around, bluegills, river goldfish. (the ones you buy in pet stores are illigal in ca.) cut bait might work.
    i never fished the cement ones much, like the dirt canals better.
    my avator was caught in canal at calexico on bluegill.
    gary

8. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Thats somethin Gary about putting the breaks in the current. Those are always good feeding zones. I also look for slack water period and dont like fishing the current much in the canals. Slacker water always does better for me.

9. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    Bluehunter, you have a PM
    gary

10. dhines

dhines New Member

State:
    LA / Calexico
    that is an amazing fish you have there. if you don't mind me asking, what canal in calexico did you catch it in? due to proximity, i find myself fishing the west main after the curve (it is literally 2-3 minutes from my house).

btw, per the game warden, you can use store bought goldfish in the canals around calexico. i forget the specific boundries, but he told me this specifically:

"when i want the biggies, i go up to zendajas and get goldfish (as they are harder to kill than shiners) and use them in these canals. it is legal and it works really well"

i am going to look through the handbook and find the specific boundries where the live goldfish are allowed . . .

11. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    I hit you back. Let me know if you got it.

12. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    got it. thanks.
    gary