tips for catching first flathead catfish

Discussion in 'GEORGIA RIVERS TALK' started by flatheadslayer, Oct 7, 2009.

1. flatheadslayer

flatheadslayer New Member

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    i read a thread where someone was having trouble catching their first flat.well i got a good way to get the first one under your belt.rockworms if you can get some you will catch a flat.maybe not a 40#.but its possable.ive caught them up to 18# on rockworms.and they bite them fast usually within the first 10 or 15 mins. even quicker.thats in yhe flint dont know about anywhere else.in the hooch they like catalpa worms have seen 2 big ones caught on them,but mostly 3# or smaller.also in the fall in the flint they gorge on night crawlers,my neighbor caught like 40 in one day last fall,mostly small.i use live fish my self.i want the big boys,not saying you cant get one on other baits,its just more likely on fish.just thought i would share this so maybe someone just wanting to catch one could try it.

2. yellingrebel78

yellingrebel78 New Member

State:
    georgia
    what are you calling rock worms hadn't ever heard of that up here which we may call it something else though

3. flatheadslayer

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    hellgramites

4. goshawk

goshawk New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I did post a while back on wanting to catch my first flathead in the Flint.

So far no luck, but work as been hectic and such and have not had much time to try.

I did get out a while Saturday morning(Oct 10th). On my way home from work I found a small pound in the Americus where it's pretty easy to get small bream. I also stopped a small creek and and caught one bullhead. It took the hook pretty far down so I cut the line to cause less damage to the fish. I put them in a bucket with a air pump running and went to bed. I planned on getting up at zero dark hour but then the rains started falling and I started having second thoughts.

Finally it let up and I headed out. I think this was one of my mistakes, I should have been out and fishing before sun rise.

I put in at the 96 bridge and there is a large pile of debris, old logs and such, jammed on the up river side of the bridge. I put in my kayak and anchored just above the logs can cast out with a bream on one line and some liver on the other. You know, just for the channel cats.

Got hung up twice so moved a bit more up river to a bend just above 96.

Seems like a nice spot but by this time is moving towards 10 am.

I put out the one bull head I had but like a dummy I lost him pretty quick. You see I thought because the current was pretty strong, I could hook him through the mouth and he would look more natural. I guess that was true because he sure didn't stay on the hook long so I guess not being on a hook would qualify as more natural :roll_eyes:

By this time had not even had one bite.

I then started moving toward the bridge since I had told my wife I was only going to fish for an hour and three hours had passed. Of course fishing hours are like dog years. One fishing hour is about 3 regular hours so in reality I was being truthful.

I anchored just past the bridge at 96 this time where I could see the boat ramp, about in the middle of the Flint. I got a few bites and of course I was obligated to keep trying some more. I then hooked something really big and thought.. I got it baby.. but of course it did turn out to be the largest turtle I've ever hooked. It pulled me and the kayak about 10 feet with the anchor down before he thankfully popped off the line since I wasn't sure wh at I was going to do once I got him to the kayak.

I kept fishing a bit more and got some more bites, the next time pulling in a very small channel catfish, whom I promptly threw back telling him to grow up and come back latter.

I started wondering that if you catch a very small channel catfish in one spot then does that mean there are no big ones in that spot?

Since I could at this point at least say that I did catch one, I was able to leave with some small dignity and backed it up and headed home.

Next time I think, I'll get the bait fish and head out at night since I'm not so good about getting out of bed in the morning unless I'm camping next to the fishing spot.

Pat
    www.gypsyfarm.com

Last edited: Oct 11, 2009
  5. flatheadslayer

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    i ifish 96 but im not crazy about it.there seems to be a lot of small channels in there 5 or 6 inchers.caught very few yella cats there maybe 5 the biggest being 7 lbs.your not too far from 128 bridge theres a lot more yellas in there.and theres some gooduns too.when you put in go up stream youll come to a rock shelve on your right where it comes out to the point and down about 40 yds. its 15 to 20 ft. deep. thats a good hole.and on the way up about half way on left teres a rock wall about 15 ft deepits probably 20 yards long.right down from there is a tree in the water,a hollowed out tree,its huge,itsstanding upside down the roots still up on the hill but it runs deep,about20 ft.but its onlydeep about a 10 yd. radius.if you get a chance try it i cant guarentee nothing but theres a great chance at a 15 maybe 20 pounder.good luck.anything i can help you wiyh just holla back.

6. goshawk

goshawk New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Yea, I fished that area once. I had put in at Hwy 19 and and floated to 128 but spent the night a bui upstream from where you are talking about and had my best night on the flint. It was all channel cats as I was fishing with chicken liver but caught a cooler full of 1 to 3 lb.'s

It was interesting in that they started biting a little after sun down and stopped a bit before midnight.

I'll give the 128 option a go as I know both spots you are talking about and I live in Mauk, just west of Butler so it's just as easy to get to as the 96 bridge.

Pat

7. flatheadslayer

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    cool im up in thomaston we'll hook up sometime,good fishing.

8. timothy408

timothy408 New Member

State:
    ga
    looking for advise on catching catfish