Tips for Alum

Discussion in 'OHIO LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by f155mph, Aug 6, 2009.

1. f155mph

f155mph New Member

Ok just got back from Alum like an hour ago. Started fishing at 7:30pm and stopped around 10pm. Guess what I didn't catch a thing. I tried the following bait: Magic Bait, Charlies's, Danny King, Strike King, and Shrimps.

I was fishing on the north bank on Howard Rd. It was my first time there and the area is nice. I was kinda turn off by people leaving their trash there. I clean up the area a bit since I was so bored from not catching anything.:sad2:

Am I doing something wrong or am I not in the right spot?
  2. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

Ohio, Columbus
    The best tip I can give for Alum is, go to the Ohio River. :)

Fishing the bank is a crapshoot. You were in the right area, but it probably gets a lot of pressure. However, even if you were in a boat, the odds would not be that much increased.

Maybe next time you can just cross over Rt23 and go to the Scioto, Home Rd area and north of that. I think you might do a bit better.

Oh, I almost forgot: Why not just get some nightcrawlers and leave that packaged bait at home. I think the worms will help more than anything else. Plus, you can try to catch a couple of gills with the worms and cut them up for bait. Might increase your odds at a bigger Channel.
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2009

3. flathunter

flathunter New Member

I would try different bait, get a castnet, and get you some shad...Use them as cutbait...It will improve your odds.
  4. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

S.E Ohio
    Gotta go with Jack on this one. Trying live baits would probably be two fold in the chances of catching a nice cat!
  5. smoothkip25

smoothkip25 New Member

I fished alum creek alot last year and caught alot of big channels there. Howard Road is the area i caught most of my fish. All on live warmouths and gills.