Tips for a Newbie

Discussion in 'Kayaker and Canoe Fishing' started by Carson94, Feb 11, 2018.

1. Carson94

Carson94 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Name:
    Carson
    Just bought my first kayak Friday, I want to try and hit the water for the first time Monday or Wednesday. I know the standard is the sit on top kayaks but I got a sit in Kayak that was hardly used for 150$ when it runs for 600-700, as a broke college student I couldn't refuse. Has a few nice rod holders in the back and decent space to customize over the next few years.

I'm looking for any tips for a newbie like me. Literally anything will be of use.

Zigarro and Catpaw like this.
  2. MattTheFlatCatKid

MattTheFlatCatKid Well-Known Member

State:
    Ohio
    Name:
    Matthew Moore

3. twaskom

twaskom Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom
    Carson, your should have some fun catching catfish in your kayak. And Welcome to the USCA forum. I can't help you with much as far as a kayak goes but I will say cold water can get you in trouble quick so find out what the water temperature is before you go out.

Now, the best information I can give as far as cat fishing from a kayak would be to tell you to watch the "Kayak Catfish" youtube videos. Justin has quite a few really good videos and knows more about kayak fishing than anyone I know. His most recent (I think) is about hypothermia and he keeps a complete set of dry close and a towel in a waterproof container with him at all times.

Go into your profile and add your first name so it shows in your information section like mine. The forum has a few giveaways during the year and you will need your name added to be able to participate.

When you get a chance, tell us what type of water you plan to fish. Lakes or rivers and is there current if your fishing rivers. Then let us know what type of cat fishing you plan to do. That will help us recommend what type of gear and bait you should be trying.

Ok, Good luck and stay safe.

JByrd and Zigarro like this.
  4. Carson94

Carson94 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Name:
    Carson
    Thanks for the warm welcome, I'm looking to try and catch Blues, Flats, Channels 10lbs or bigger. I've been dying to get into serious cat fishing but haven't due to the lack of a boat or kayak.

Something about the idea of being able to reel in a 50+ pound fish gets the adrenaline pumping for me. The biggest fish I've caught in my life was a 15lb flathead and I've been fishing since I was 5, fourteen years ago.

I have alot of options in fishing but plan on primarily fishing Lake Norman due to the fact I know this lake decently. The area I will be launching around is very open. I don't have alot of fishing experience here but have traveled around it a good bit.

Since i'm just starting to get into the sport of kayak fishing and will be alone primarily, I figured it's best to stick with what I know.

5. Zigarro

Zigarro Well-Known Member

State:
    N. Texas
    Name:
    L.W.
    Welcome from N. Texas, Carson. The thing I like best about kayaks is they get you into places a boat can't go and that can't be reached from the bank. Especially good for crappie & bass as well as flatties. Sadly, I'm long past the day when I could get in & out of one though. At this time of year, Tom is right~ check the water temp and remember- even the best kayakers can end up in the water.

6. twaskom

twaskom Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom
    Hey Carson, see you got your name listed so when there is a giveaway you will be ready to enter. You will need 10 post under your belt but that is simple to get. When it comes all you do is make a post on the giveaway thread listing the days date. At the end, a name is drawn from those that signed up.

Ok, second tip I can give you is to go to the forum page. go part way down to "Publications" then click on "Mac Byrum's Catfish University". He has a great deal of information and videos available that may answer a lot of your questions. He is from your location and fishes the waters you are familiar with I think.

Note that he also mentions "Kayak Corner" as a good source of information. I think earlier I said it was Kayak Catfish. That is what happens when you get old and your memory goes. Sorry.

Anyway, your in a good location both where you live and on this forum for learning about cat fishing.

Again, I know you are hankering to get that kayak out on the water and I sure can understand that but keep in mind that cold water can be very dangerous and kayaks can go belly up quickly, especially when you are just learning.

Be safe

7. Tyrant

Tyrant Member

State:
    Corbin KY
    Name:
    Brandon
    Hi Carson,

I've had 3 kayaks and about to purchase another one. Some tips I can give you is, get a PFD that's thin or not inflated (that you pull a cord to inflate), learn to make leashes for your paddle, poles and anything else. Rule of thumb is, if you don't want to lose it, make sure it's attached to the boat. Also, don't try to over pack. I take a milk crate with 4 Plano boxes of tackle I'll need and 3 poles. It's best to start light, do a small fishing trip to figure what you want and where you want it on your boat.

Good luck and have fun!

Carson94 likes this.
  8. prlwng

prlwng Member Supporting Member

State:
    south dakota. sioux falls area
    Name:
    bill
    There is a utube channel named river certified.

He does alot of that stuff catching some big fatties in Iowa.

He gets into some very good spots closed to boats because of shallow water.

CaptainBrad likes this.
  9. Carson94

Carson94 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Name:
    Carson
    Thanks guys, gonna head out tomorrow. Gonna be some light rain but it's heating up from the low 40s in the morning to mid 70s by mid day so hoping that quick warm up will get the fish going.