Tips and moon phase

Discussion in 'FLORIDA RIVERS TALK' started by Matt77, Apr 20, 2008.

1. Matt77

Matt77 New Member

State:
    from Us NY live in Cnt FL
    I tore the channels up last night. Caught at least 15. From 1 lb to 4 lb. I recently learned you should use natural bait in the river. I fish the St. Johns. Use a cast net. Would recommend a 6 footer. A 3" to 5" shad or bream seam to work the best. They hit them live or dead. I like to use the live ones if I can. I am most successful cast netting at night. Too much boat traffic in the day time. Use a 2/0 regular hook ( I use eagle claw ) But get the thin wire one. Was getting bites for a long time but not catching any because the gauge of my hooks was too thick. But the problem with the wire hook is when you go to use your pliers to unhook it, the hook breaks. So use your hands if you can. I also use a 1 ounce pyramid sinker with a 15" leader ( 20 pound test ). The heavy sinker is partly to cast my braid and also so my bait stays where I want it to. Last but not least hook your bait from the bottom lip up threw the middle of the head, between the eyes. Because most fish swallow the head 1st. Ok, I put in a lot of time figuring all this out but its a labor of love. Hope this helps. Last night was the night before the full moon. Anyone else fish the moon phases?

2. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    Matt ... I lived in Florida for 29 + years .... I fished the St Johns River and Dunn's Creek (Near Satsuma south of Palatka) for 25 years. I kept really detailed records for most of that time and determined .... it didn't make any difference what the moon phase was. Of course I know many people that swear by the moon phases and do all right by it, especially fishing for Bream, but as far as catching catfish I could find NO best time. I found the barometer was a better indicator. ... Good Luck ..... Garry- :eek:oooh:

3. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Back in the 80's and 90's I fished for large striped bass at a warm water discharge in the winter time. I found the solunar tables to be a very reliable source of information and it helped me to determine the best times of day or night to go fishing. However.....I am still in the try-out phase with big cats. It doesnt seem to be as accurate with big cats as it was with big stripers. I reaaly can't explain it.:eek:oooh:

4. Matt77

Matt77 New Member

State:
    from Us NY live in Cnt FL
    Gary,
    I would love to here some more out barometers and how it works.
    Thanks,
    Matt

5. catfishjon

catfishjon New Member

State:
    texas
    I fish the full moon phase the most. I do it because I always catch fish and I like a little light on that river or lake when I am on it at night. I agree about the pressure for catfish. When it gets around 31, the bite slows to almost nothing, and when it drops to the around 30, the bite picks up. A weather change can have good or bad results for the catfisherman. A foot or two rise on the river will bring out the yellow and big blues. They will eat till they almost pop. A storm will usually give you some good fishing just before it hits. You can keep a diary of your fishing as I did for a long time. Now I just go when ever I can and keep it simple. Catfishjon