tips / advice for Mark Twain??

Discussion in 'Gateway Catfishing Club' started by chrisatrpm, Sep 1, 2009.

1. chrisatrpm

chrisatrpm New Member

State:
    missouri
    Was wondering is anyone would be kind enough to share some wisdom about what works and what doesn't on Mark Twain. I'm going up the weekend of 19th & 20th for my bachelor party and I'm probably going to have to play guide. In the past I never really got to fish that lake cause people always wanted to swim or go tubing if the boat sat still for more than 5 minutes.

I'm only really familiar with the area around Florida / route U ramp but we're staying near the dam so I'm sure we'll wander all over the place. Due to the heated discussions about sharing "spots" recently its worth me pointing out that I don't even eat fish so practicing CPR is a non-issue for me. I'm looking for patterns more than anything else, not GPS points.

Thanks in advance
    Chris

2. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Welcome aboard the BOC and welcome to Gateway Cats.

I don't fish up there, so can't help.

Come to think of it, any advice I would give about places I do fish would be suspect due to me not catching much this year.:wink:

3. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    Welcome to the BOC Chris. And ditto what Tom said. :smile2::smile2:

4. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Michael Jake an Ol Grump know Mark Twain lake pretty darn good. I don't know diddly about it but welcome to the BOC. I'm sure someone will be along soon that can help you with those patterns.

5. Michael Jake

Michael Jake New Member

State:
    Troy, Missouri
    Here's a couple of posts from the past that can help ya out Chris...

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1085683#post1085683

I use this system on the river also... from spawn to present the mornings can be very good, now with the water cooling I would switch back to the afternoon and evening like the prespawn period I mentioned in the earliest post... hope this helps, channels are very healthy on Mark Twain Lake and a hoot to catch on light tackle.

6. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    welcome to the BOC brother...

7. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Chris. Never fished it. I'm on the west side of Mo.

8. jlcperformance

jlcperformance New Member

State:
    moberly, missouri
    the back of coves and up in the river arms are where i have most of my luck. i always use live bait 90% of the time up there. the blue population is just not that great there, so i usually target flatheads and channels. good luck and hope u have a good time.

9. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    And one of the nicest westies I have met, too. Aint many folks who would bring ya home made root beer schnapps.

10. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    This week fish of any kind was scarce at Mark Twain. Hopefully by the time you go up there the water will cool off some more.

11. chrisatrpm

chrisatrpm New Member

State:
    missouri
    Thanks for the tips and warm welcomes. I've been lurking around or a while and and have actually met quite a few of you but I don't post much and have yet to find a suitable picture for my profile. If you see me out I will probably be flying by in a sea ark on my way back to the dock after realizing I forgot to put the plug in.

12. BEHITJ

BEHITJ New Member

State:
    Wentzville
    I would try drifting the channels in the upper arms of the lake. A guy told me up there the channels love crawdads up there. We have done well on shrimp at times.