Tipped Pontoon.

Discussion in 'INDIANA RIVERS TALK' started by Trahviiz, Jun 4, 2009.

1. Trahviiz

Trahviiz Member

State:
    Indianapolis
    Was just watching the news and it seems a pontoon boat got tipped over at the Broad Ripple damn. Anyone else seeing this?

2. kyleco55

kyleco55 Well-Known Member

State:
    Central In
    hmm... at least nobody was hurt..

INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) - Water rescue crews responded to an area of the White River near 6500 Oxbow Way in Broad Ripple after a pontoon boat flipped over a dam tossing seven people and a dog into the river.
    An Indianapolis Fire Department spokesperson said a woman driving the boat was trying to show the dam to her passengers but got too close and was pulled in.

Rescue crews pulled all seven to safety. No one sustained any major injuries, the fire department said.

3. Trahviiz

Trahviiz Member

State:
    Indianapolis
    What about the dog man? :smile2:

4. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston

I'm very glad no one was hurt but jeez, what a bozo thing to do. Hopefully a bill will be sent for the cost of the rescue. When will people get the message about lowhead dams:roll_eyes:
    ...W

5. tackleholic

tackleholic New Member

State:
    New Albany
    I remember someone who thought that a chainsaw was a toy. Instead of cutting firewood he cut his leg.:confused2:

6. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Everybody is fine and in good shape...which is a good thing. But it was definitely a dumb idea to be out partying it up on the boat on the river today.

I fish quite a bit below that dam and when the water is up, that's not the place to be near with a boat. People do like to pull their party boats up to the lip of the dam and anchor there when the water is at a good level and grill out on the boat and what not. I'm hoping that's not what they tried to do there today, the lip of the dam had to of been under about 6 feet of water, no way of parking your boat there now. Right where the boat tipped over and got caught there's a long line of big rocks which are usually above the water. They are lucky no one hit their heads on those rocks or got pinned down there by the current.

7. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    sounds like luck was on their side.

8. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Did they go over the top or get sucked in from below by the undertow?

9. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    O.T.T. :confused2::confused2::confused2:
    ...W

10. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    :crazy:

11. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    They went over the top, then I'm sure with impact on the first tier of the dam the boat probably flipped and got hung up on those rocks. Luck was definitely on their side...people have died down there before.

12. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    what i saw was that they got sucked in by the undertow... didnt know they pulled a Sylvester Stallon and went Over The Top