Tippecanoe River in Indiana

Discussion in 'INDIANA RIVERS TALK' started by jross1901, Apr 2, 2006.

1. jross1901

jross1901 New Member

State:
    IL
    does anybody fish this river??

i used to fish it as a kid, near the norway dam. is there a good flathead population?
    any tips suggestions appericiated.

2. jross1901

jross1901 New Member

State:
    IL
    nobody fishes this river??????:0a28:

3. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I have an Uncle that used to fish the Tippy, he said they used to do real well using crawdads. Used to catch a lot of channel cats and smallmouths and an occasional 5lb flathead. I'm sure there's some big flatheads in there. Give it a try and let us know how you did.

4. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    Jross: What area of the Tippe are you fishing?

5. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    you talkin about petes bait shop, jim? pete is a good ol river rat. your rite abouit the alliens there too.

i never caught a flathead on that stretch of river,should be there though. there is alot of preasure on that river. i think they get ate before they can get big. seams like everyone keeps every thing they catch over that way.

6. flathead20000

flathead20000 New Member

State:
    Indiana, Delphi
    Yes the shad are running, and there are quite a few flats including some big ones in the river. The further you go down from Norway Dam you are in what is called Blue Water. It is the entrance to Lake Freeman. There are some GIANT Flats in Freeman!! I know one old timer that gets several in the fifty pound class every year. So I know there are good Flats in this area. With that being said, below the Dam on Freeman, your all right, this area is fished extremely hard, but there are still some good fish here. A great place to fish walleye, and the home to several state record Hybrid Striped Bass. Seems like that one is broken every other year. But, back to cats, I've caughten 4 flats on this stretch of the river in the last two years that were between 25 and 30 pounds, and several others that were between 5 and 15 pounds. For your info I release all big cats, and your right, it is amazing that there is any fish left in the river with all the fish I see taken out of here, but I live on it and believe me there are plenty. Lets just hope that people realize that they just should take what they need and no more, Please release the rest!!!

7. dusty1529

dusty1529 New Member

State:
    Winamac, IN.
    I fish the Tippy almost every day. I fish mostly around the Winamac area and have been catching tons of channels but no flatheads yet. This is a verry good river for them i can just never find them until the water warms up.

Good luck!!!!
    Matt

8. jross1901

jross1901 New Member

State:
    IL
    is the river high from the rain??

i'm thinking of traveling down there by the norway dam this weekend.

anyone know. thanks

9. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
  10. shortbus

shortbus New Member

State:
    indiana
    I'll be fishing the tippy tomorrow night. Gonna be just up stream of SR18 bridge. I'll post up how it goes.

11. shortbus

shortbus New Member

State:
    indiana
    Had one bite and one fish,lol. bout a 3 pound channel LOTSof seaweed/leaves floating down. Had a hard time keeping it off my line and bait.

12. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    I have not been to Oakdale in a long time but everytime I go to town Norway is packed. The walleye and silvers are hitting now. 20lb channel came out last week. There is a place in Monticello where they fish the old dam. Lots of cats come out of there! If you need directions let me know
    Bill

13. shortbus

shortbus New Member

State:
    indiana
    Where's this at???

14. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    jw,you can see sr24 bridge from it,but dont tell anyone! lol take alot of terminal tackle too,the dams still there if you know what i mean.

15. shortbus

shortbus New Member

State:
    indiana
    I think I know what you mean,,,Take bluegills and a big net,lol Thanx man

16. quackingtim

quackingtim New Member

State:
    indiana
    Fished it last night. Caught 7 channels. Two were about 5lbs and fat with eggs. I drifted cut shad next to fallen trees using a slip bobber. The moter for my anchor stop working so I called it a night.

17. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    that too,but i ment snaggs! lots n lots of snaggs. they just blew the dam and its full of chunks down there. big carp too so take a bit of corn to keep you busy. lol

i hope to get over your way in a few weeks. would like to meat you guys over that way. anyone want to pm me with there number ill call and set up a time n place we could all meet to fish or just have a beer/soda!

18. quackingtim

quackingtim New Member

State:
    indiana
    I'm still fishing the Tippe. The last few nights have been pretty good for channels. Catching some in just about every fallen tree I can find. This weekend I'm heading to the Wabash in search of flatheads.

19. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    jim i got your number and will call when we set the weekend. anyone else want to meet up send me your phone number!

good luck on those flats tim,post pics.

20. shortbus

shortbus New Member

State:
    indiana
    Fished the river between freeman and shafer lastnight. Caught 2 flatheads and 11 channels.All on cut bait and in about 2.5 feet of water. Nothing huge but all above 5 lbs. No hits on live gills at all.