Tip with crawdads

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by bigmike, Aug 29, 2006.

1. bigmike

bigmike New Member

State:
    Kankakee,Illinois
    You may alreaady know this trick, but is new to me. If you want your crawdad to stay alive longer on the hook, take a small rubberband like for braces or what not and place the rubber band around the crawdad and place the hook under the rubberband on the crawdads back. Just thought this was a neat trick

2. MNwiskers21

MNwiskers21 New Member

State:
    South Saint Paul, MN
    Hello bigmike,

I use crawdads a lot more for bass but occasionally for channel cats and have never heard of that trick. I will definatly give it a try the next time I use crawdads.

Thanks for the Info!
    Take Care Everyone!

Sincerly, Kevin

3. catfisher43

catfisher43 New Member

State:
    missouri
    thats a great idea.thx for posting.

4. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thats a trick I thought everybody knew.Years ago I and my husband lived in California in the L.A. County. The lakes out there are all buzzing about the huge bass that swim in them. They use to go on about how crawdads were the ticket if you wanted a monster bass and I seen a picture out there in a magazine about putting the rubberband on the crawdad and slipping the hook thru the rubber band.You are correct! It does help the bait to stay alive a long time. Thanks for giving me some precious memories reps for ya---------pk:big_smile:

5. truckin4x4

truckin4x4 New Member

State:
    columbus, Ohio
    mike that is a FIRST FOR ME. BUT I HAVN'T EVER COUGHT A CAT ON THEM. BUT I DO KNOW THAT BASS LOVE THEM.

6. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    do ya'll pull the pichers off or does it matter?

7. bigcatch87

bigcatch87 New Member

State:
    louisianna
    its crawfish not crawdads

8. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    ummm in my neck o the woods they are crawdads. to each his own, callem whatcha like. crawfish, crawdads, mudbugs, etc. are nicknames anyway. the real name is crayfish.

9. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    Well they are CRAWDADS here so go figure.

10. thomcat

thomcat New Member

State:
    pennsylvania 17745
    first time i ever heard of that... i do belive you got somethin there... im gunna use that.... thanks brother

11. just cats

just cats New Member

State:
    Leslie Missouri
    I don't use em much for cats but my son loves em for small mouths, I'll have to tell him about that idea, sounds neat, thanks.

12. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    in my experience bass love them especialy soft ones , when i use them i put a coned worm weight on my line then the hook , then run the hook down thruogh the tail on the underside and out just before the chest plate then turn the hook and place the point of the hook in the crayfishes mouth this is weedless and you cast and retrieve the crawdads lol backwards as though they were swimming . i have also put them up off bottom on a carolina rig but when i do this i usually fish them in current below or in a riffle ,you can hook them the same way as before stated . if you plan to fish the bottom its a good idea to remove their legs becuase they tend to crawl under a rock or climb back up your line lol . you can also suspend them from a float but again id remove their legs to prevent them climbing your line to safety , i like them with their pinchers on lets them fight off smaller fish and makes for a more aggresive fish strike

13. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    That sounds like a good idea. Have any idea how to keep the buffalo and drum from eating the CRAWDADS long enough for a catfish to bite?

14. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Thats a good ideal thanks bro:big_smile: I have posted before crawfish are one of the best cat bait you can get:cool2:

15. Luscious Jackson

Luscious Jackson New Member

State:
    IL
    Yea, they are my favorite for smallies. Gonna have to try that. Thanks for the tip!

16. waitin on whiskers

waitin on whiskers New Member

State:
    Victoria, Texas
    Thanks for the tip. I noticed some people said they never used them for cats, well they work great for cats below the dam.

17. catfishslayer

catfishslayer New Member

State:
    Illinois
    sound like a cool trick never heard of it? I have fish with crawdads a few times i like just using the tails kind of like shrimp!