Tip Light

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by DTro, Jul 20, 2006.

1. DTro

DTro Active Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I purchased four of these for a grand total of approx $17. I will be trying them out tomorrow night for the first time. I have tried glow sticks and bobber lights among others. I wanted something that would last quite a while that I didn't have to throw away when the battery was dead or it quit glowing. They are called Galaxy Lights and are low voltage LED's that are supposed to last 60 hours on two button batteries. They have an on off switch and a molded plastic clip for a fishing pole.
    Review to follow:cool2:

2. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    Sounds like you cant beat the price! I look forward to more information!

3. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

yeah let us know how they work out for you.

4. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    Sounds good, can we get a picture?

5. DTro

DTro Active Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Here's a picture of the light.

Attached Files:

6. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    As I was walking out the door yesterday evening to go fishing I saw that my Galaxy tip lights had come. I didnt look at them until I got on the river. Once I saw how they were supposed to be only attached by some sticky tape I decided to wait to use them. I am gonna modify them a bit so I feel confident that they arent gonna go flying off when I cast. They are super bright and should work great just not happy with how they expect you to attach them.

7. Gringoloco

Gringoloco Member

State:
    Ft. Belvoir, VA
    Name:
    Josh
    Looks like a good product, I would be scared of tossing it off those when fighting a big fish. So where are these sold at?

8. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Sounds like it would work great and looks good. Make sure to let us know how they work.

9. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Galaxy Tip Light

I have seen them on ebay as well but they were really expensive. Rep Points for Dtro showing me this website!:cool2:

10. DTro

DTro Active Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Just got home after a slow night on the river. We were at least able to bring a couple fish into the boat.

About these lights... I found that the clip needs to be taped on with elec tape on the top and bottom, other than that , I was very pleased with them. They are VERY bright. I would compare them to those LED keychain lights. I didn't see much of a dimming at all and they were on constantly from 9pm to 1am. I am very doubtful about the 60 hours though. Time will tell I guess.
    What I really liked about them is that they lit up the entire length of the pole and even the reel, most of the time I didn't even have to use my headlamp when I went to recast.

The next test will be to see if it can hold up to the rain, or heavy moisture.

But as of now, if you like to have a tip light, I would highly recommend them.

11. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

thanks for the update.

12. james

james New Member

State:
    Blue Ridge texa
    Ive always thought about rigging up some type of LED light for a tip light. Ive been useing the glow sticks from main wolf products and i love them pretty cheap for what you get, just some tape and ur set for hours. Ive used some clip on lights, one problem with them is that they wont fit on my bigger rods and for what u pay for them isnt worth it. Be nice if someone would come out with some type of LED clamp on light that wont sling off when u set the hook or cast.

13. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Thanks brother! I could definatly use these! i have been nickle and diming myself to death with the glow type lights!

14. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Well I finally got to try the light out last night and boy is it bright. Almsot too bright. It lights up the entire rod and the ground. You definatly notice when you get a bite. The problem is when you are reeling in the light blinds you! :lol:

15. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

are you able to turn the light off with a switch while reeling it in? does it have an on/off switch?

16. DTro

DTro Active Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Well, I'm on my third full night 4-5hrs of dark and the lights are still going strong. The only issue I've seen, is that the lights are actually a little too bright. I think I am going to flip them around so that they shine up instead of down. When I reel in, the light is quite blinding. It is really nice though, for the light to shine down the entire pole and reel (and if you are shore fishing, probably the ground).
    They do have an on/off switch, but I have found them a little finicky so once they are on, I leave them on.

17. ayokay005

ayokay005 New Member

State:
    Maryland
    I use h.v.a.c foil tape from my previous job:big_smile: to tape those lil glow sticks on works well solid connection and it also works like a reflector too :cool2:

18. cat tamer

cat tamer New Member

State:
    MO
    looks like it might be a good idea

19. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Thanks for shareing the infro:cool2:

20. Muddler

Muddler New Member

State:
    Virginia
    You all might want to try finger lights. I saw them at Wally World and picked up a few. They have velcro strips, and instead of putting them on my finger, I wrap the velcro around the rod blank so that the light shines up at the tip.
    Here's a web site: http://vistawholesale.zoovy.com/product/FGLIGHT

I like these because they don't attach to the tip and get in the way. If you get a big one on, you can pull it off if you want -- just yank and the velcro gives way.

Just another idea.....