Tip for those new to baitcasters

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by Rich.Carpenter, Aug 14, 2009.

1. Rich.Carpenter

Rich.Carpenter New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I, myself, am just getting my baitcaster chops down, but there is one thing I have found made a big difference in my learning curve.

What they say is true, a quality reel to learn on makes all the difference. I started out with a $69.95 low-profile baitcaster combo from Quantum. For the life of me, the only way I could cast that thing without whipping up a birds nest from hell was to throw a couple ounces of lead on and use braided line (I also learned about the same time to always use mono leaders with heavy braid). Even then, I was only successful about half the time.

Before giving up on baitcasters, I decided to buy a nice Abu (7000iC3), and was amazed at what a difference it made. This is where I noticed something that I hadn't before. My cheap Quantum baitcaster had level wind, but it wasn't *synchronous* level wind. What that means is that, while it would reel line onto the spool all nice and neat, when I cast, the line guide didn't move. That meant that if the line guide ended up on the far left side of the spool, the next time I cast, the line coming off the spool could end up stopping on the far right side of the spool, causing the line to be wound back onto the spool by immediately running from one side to the other across the spool before starting a uniform winding again.

Like I said, it's a cheap reel to begin with, but I do think that the erratic winding of the line over a few casts only served to compound the problems I was having. I have little to no trouble with the 7000. I know I'll never buy a cheap reel again.

Hope this is helpful to someone.

2. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    That's good advice, but it pretty much goes with just about anything.

By a cheap TV, get a cheap TV. Buy a cheap lawn mower, get a cheap lawnmower. Buy a cheap truck, get a Chevy. :) Couldn't resist.:smile2:

3. bassman98

bassman98 New Member

State:
    ohio
    levelwinds like that are on pretty much every low profile baitcaster made:wink:

4. bigkane

bigkane New Member

State:
    Ashland, K
    I bought my very first baitcaster a little over a month ago and love it......Abu Garcia 6600cb.:big_smile:

5. indycatman

indycatman New Member

State:
    Greenwood, Indi
    i have use baitcaster since they come out a old fisherman taught me to cast them side arm and from side arm to over hand now that is all i use is baitcaster :cool2::cool2:

6. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    :angry::angry::angry: chevys usually hold the highest resale value!!! fords be the ones you get cheep unless your buying ford parts then they cost more cause they know you are gonna need them:wink:
    I own an abu 6600 eon that the levelwind works non syncronized like your reel and it casts just fine.

7. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Good advice Rich. Thanks for sharing. I love em, and cannot go back for big fish. For ultra light i still use spinning tho.

8. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Abu Garcia RULES! Penns are nice too.

BB in SC

9. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    The Quantum and other bass type fishing baitcasters are like that for a reason. Casting lighter terminal tackle and casting it far.
    The best way for a beginner to set his reel up is to set it up so that when he releases the spool the practice plug or terminal tackle falls to the ground and the spool stops.
    From there as you progress you can back off any brakes or magnetic devices to suit your timing and abilities.

Eventually a cast behind the head, under the leg, or behind the back with a baitcaster shouldn't be too difficult.:wink:

I wouldn't consider most of the Quantam low profilers as junk. I've got some over 20 years old I still fish with and actively look for and buy the old and newer next generation 1310's.
    The most durable baitcasters I've ever owned. The parts are simple and functional.
    Got a few 1310's that have been hot rodded.

One of the biggest mistakes I see beginners making is tying a beatlespin or some other lightweight pan fish lure on. It's easy to get frustrated that way.

I would start out with an ounce or two and slowly work my way down.
    It's all in learning the timing,

10. Rich.Carpenter

State:
    Indiana
    Lighter tackle, sure, but casting it far? Most of the bass fishing I've done or seen involved being much closer to the fish than other types of fishing.

Yeah, I didn't see a need to repeat the method here. It's been covered better than I could do it elsewhere. My main point was that asynchronous level wind can cause problems for someone new to baitcasters. Erratic winding on the spool isn't exactly an optimum situation, especially with braided line.

As I've gotten better at it, the Quantum has gotten easier for me to manage. The more weight I have on the line, the easier it does seem to be. I am still very cognizant of keeping the line aligned with the line guide, though. Like I said, the difference in castability between the Quantum and my Abu Garcia is tremendous. With the Abu a smooth cast is hardly even a conscious effort.

11. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Alot bigger spool on the 7000. That is why you are having an easier time with it. Doesn't have anything to do with quality of the reel or cost of the reel, synchronous or not, or even what brand of reel.

12. ambassadeur

ambassadeur New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I would recommend the Abu Garcia BCX series for a beginner. They're what I started on. They only cost about $50, and they're still a quality reel.

13. Rich.Carpenter

State:
    Indiana
    With all due respect, that's just not been my experience. Heck, the spool core on my cheap Quantum is nearly the same size as my 7000, just not as wide and doesn't hold as much line. Besides, when lamenting my troubles with my Quantum while talking to my neighbor, he pulled out his Shimano Chronarch, and I was able to cast it a country mile (relatively speaking) with little problem.

When line is flying off the reel during cast, an instantaneous jump from one side of the spool to the other means something has to give. Either the line has to come off just a little faster or the spool has to speed up, if only slightly. Hit that sort of cross-winding a few times during one cast, and that can add up to enough of a velocity deficit to promote a backlash. It's that factor that I think higher quality reels counter. I can only guess that it is by designing them with a smoother drive train or more stability at higher speeds.

Compound that with the tendency of braided line to kink, and I think it explains part of the trouble I had early on.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2009
  14. payton350

payton350 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I have been using baitcasters for 2 years now I would never use anything else, with some practice they become very easy to use, not long ago I went to cast my brothers spinning reel and I couldn't cast that thing it was like I forgot how to use a spinning reel.