Tip for saving snagged rigs

Discussion in 'Catfishing Library' started by Bill in SC, Apr 15, 2008.

1. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Folks, through the years I have lost a ton of lead, leaders, and hooks in the Big Pee Dee. Being poor folks like we are, we had to come up with something to end this dilemma and save some money. My fishin' partner, Peglegreb came up with a solution. We use a 3 ounce lead weight minimum. Naturally when reeling in correctly, you hold the rod tip up, pick the weight up off the bottom and start reeling. Frequently your line will cross an underwater obstruction and get hung. First and foremost DON'T snatch hard trying to free it. This will only result in the hook setting deeply into the snag thus resulting in a lost rig. The idea is to drift back to the opposite side of the snag. Then, pick the line up tight. This gets the lead over the top of the hook. Then, let slack in the line in short jigging motions. The lead dropping past the hook will pull the hook out of the snag. I calculate that at least 7 or 8 times out of 10, you will get your rig back, bait and all. I had heard the oldtimers say to take a spark plug and run it down your line to free up snags, and this is the same principle.
    Bill in SC

2. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    A note of serous interest. I fished HARD four days this week and only lost ONE hook due to snags using our jigging technique. My luck had been so good all week, I took more chances where I casted today. I hung up at least 40% of the time today, and got them ALL back!! Peglegreb lost but one rig today due to snags. Now, we might lose the next ten we throw in the river, but this technique is unreal. Sometime you may have to jig three or four minutes, and many times you have to navigate the boat in the current with precision to not let it get away from you, but if you are PATIENT, and a skillful navigator, it WILL jig loose. :wink:
    Bill in SC

3. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I got some big snap swivels from bass pro and put one on a 3 oz. weight, you can hold a little tension on your line, snap the swivel around it and drop it to the bottom. MOST of the time it works. I bass fish with "lucky Craft" rogues that cost $15 a pop and can't leave then hanging in cedars an such. It will also work for crank baits, soft plastics and such.Never tryed them catfishing, but it's worth a try. I call them pocket rocks, and always have a few layin around.

4. colten

colten Member

State:
    Texas
    I usually get a big weight and tie a swivel and a thin rope onto the swivel. Hook the swivel onto the line and let it slide down. It should free up the snag. If it doesn't, at least you can pull up your homemade rig and use it next time. If you don't tie the string onto it, you will loose it too if the snag doesn't come free.