tip for saving rigs due to snags

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by Bill in SC, Mar 24, 2008.

1. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Folks, through the years I have lost a ton of lead, leaders, and hooks in the Big Pee Dee. Being poor folks like we are, we had to come up with something to end this dilemma and save some money. My fishin' partner, Peglegreb came up with a solution. We use a 3 ounce lead weight minimum. Naturally when reeling in correctly, you hold the rod tip up, pick the weight up off the bottom and start reeling. Frequently your line will cross an underwater obstruction and get hung. First and foremost DON'T snatch hard trying to free it. This will only result in the hook setting deeply into the snag thus resulting in a lost rig. The idea is to drift back to the opposite side of the snag. Then, pick the line up tight. This gets the lead over the top of the hook. Then, let slack in the line in short jigging motions. The lead dropping past the hook will pull the hook out of the snag. I calculate that at least 7 or 8 times out of 10, you will get your rig back, bait and all. I had heard the oldtimers say to take a spark plug and run it down your line to free up snags, and this is the same principle.
    Bill in SC

2. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Thanks Bill, I'll remember that. :cool2:

3. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Sometimes we will have three or four hung at the same time. It can be a challenge in the river current. After drifting past them, you have to keep the boat running and stationary long enough to free them up. Sure works good!
    BB in SC

4. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Thanks for the info Bill I will keep that in mind

5. peglegreb

peglegreb New Member

State:
    s.c.
    Well i gess the secret is out. yall fishermen use this it works.

6. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    This deffitenatly works and if dont I just pull the whole limb up with that good ole 80lb power pro.

7. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    LOL! I hear ya, James.
    BB in SC

8. crawford1

crawford1 Member

State:
    west virginia
    Thanks for the tip

9. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Fished 5 rods again tonight in structure. Lost only one rig out of about 10 hang ups. Unfortunately, not a single hit all night.
    BB in SC

10. mariofish

mariofish New Member

State:
    wv
    welcome to boc wv 1 baby:smile2:

11. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    As a follow up to this post, and having used this technique for several fishing trips, I will reiterate that it works GREAT. I had my reservations about whether it would work with circle hooks, but indeed, it works just as well with them. It has reduced equipment costs immensely! Not only does it save hooks, line and sinkers, it also keeps you from having to stretch your line to break it off, thus reducing abrasions and weak lines from stretching.
    Bill in SC