Tip for preheating molds

Discussion in 'Sinker Making Institute' started by katfish ken, Dec 11, 2008.

1. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    When getting ready to make sinker I lay my mold on top of the pot that I melt the lead in . As the lead heats up and melts the mold heats up as well. When the lead is melted and ready to pour the mold is already preheated. Saves pouring2 or 3 molds full of lead to heat the mold. Hope this helps.

2. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    thanks for the tips ken, i just got my sinker mold today along with a hot pot 2 and melted down some lead and poured a few. heating up the mold was a must because with the molds cold i couldn't pour past the opening. however i got on the good ol' BOC and found the answer to my question. so i took a propane torch and lightly heated up my molds. after that it was smooth sailing...

3. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    I've tried that and it helps, but it usually takes a little more, sometimes not.

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Good tip Ken. I do the same thing. Works good each time.

5. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    I use my propane torch..I tried setting it on top and mine falls off...I only have the little lee 10 lb pot though

6. rrssmith

rrssmith New Member

State:
    Bakersfield
    I use the propane torch to pre-heat my molds

7. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    In case you have not read it anywhere smpking the molds real good helps the led pass through the opening and help the sinkers to release from the mold.

8. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Just thought of another little bit of info that might help someone!! I made a box of 1" lumber about 18"s square and 12"s tall, left out 1 side and the top to set my mold in while pouring in windy conditions. This helps keep the wind from cooling the mold off between castings. I use the little hot pot in this and it works rather well. One can build it to suit ones preferance for ease of working.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2009
  9. M Pain

M Pain New Member

State:
    N. Central Pa

It does seam to make a differance. :glasses-cool:

10. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Heating the molds prevents the lead from cooling down to fast,if you should have wrenkled sinkers, Half sinkers or the gate holes[mold pouring holes] stop-up your molds are still to cold. I use pam to lub my molds sinkers never stick.

11. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    If your molds have clamps on them to hold them shut, Heat the gate as you pour, It makes them pour super smooth from the first sinker to the last.

12. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    I heat my gates just before I start to pour the sinkers,the lead pours smoothly.