Tip for Palmer sinker molds..

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by KYTRAPPER, Jun 5, 2007.

1. KYTRAPPER

KYTRAPPER New Member

State:
    Floyd county,KY
    I just bought two palmer sinker molds. A bank sinker and a egg sinker mold. The bank sinker mold makes a nice sinker. The egg sinker mold(#451) needs a little work I think. The pour holes are too small in my opinion. No matter how hot the lead you get some bad pours on the smaller size sinkers. What I did to make them bigger was to take a small chainsaw file and rasp out the pour holes just a bit to enlarge them. It helped a lot. The palmer mold is handy as it makes 1/2,3/4,1,2,3,5,7,8, ounce sinkers. Though they dont make a nice of a sinker as the Do-It molds they are perfectly serviceble but they need a bit of trimming. Hope this helps..

2. KYTRAPPER

KYTRAPPER New Member

State:
    Floyd county,KY
    I just wanted to add that if you are a stickler for pretty sinkers dont mess with the palmer mold. It requires a lot of trimming and the hinges are a bit sloppy. The pour holes were about 1/4 the size of the ones on the do it molds and somewhat missaligned. Thats why I rounded the holes with a file.

3. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I've got homemade molds, cheap molds, Palmer molds (midprice), and Do-It molds. This is an area where you get what you pay for. If you plan to pour more than a couple of dozen sinkers or jigs a year, it's worth the extra money to buy a Do-It mold.

4. KYTRAPPER

KYTRAPPER New Member

State:
    Floyd county,KY
    Yea, I have a do it no roll mold. I didnt own a palmer and had a good offer on the two I bought. I am satisfied with the bank sinker mold but somewhat dissapointed in the egg sinker mold. Im probably just gonna bite the bullet and order a do it mold for the smaller size egg sinkers.

5. YellaCat

YellaCat New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, but my Do-It egg mold sinkers have a wrinkled look to them. Is my lead not hot enough? If it matters, I'm using a Lee 4-20 production pot. Any advice?

6. KYTRAPPER

KYTRAPPER New Member

State:
    Floyd county,KY
    Usually thats from either the lead or the mold not being hot enough. The lead is cooling to fast.

7. catfisherman60

catfisherman60 New Member

State:
    Greenwood AR.
    Try filling your mold with hot lead and let it set a little bit. that will heat the mold up. I pour all of mine and when the mold is cold that will happen. Are you using hard or soft lead that could make the difference. I use do-it molds. I like them a lot

8. YellaCat

YellaCat New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I'm using wheel weights...not sure if its hard lead or soft lead. I'll try to let my lead get hotter and see if that helps.

9. catfisherman60

catfisherman60 New Member

State:
    Greenwood AR.
    wheel wights are hard lead and melts at higher temp.

10. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    Well, I'm like jtrew....You get what you pay for....The last thing I would do is buy a "used" mold unless it was evident that it was in "tight" condition....I'll stick with my Do-It No Rolls, from 1-8oz's....I also have several other molds for egg sinkers in 1/8-1/4oz's for float fishing....However, I would like to say that if your as nervous as I am, don't get a mold that you have to put the little eyes in....lol...I have a pyramid mold that I have to pull my gloves off just to get the little eyes in before pouring....Talkin about gettin hot...That's when I went to the no roll molds....I like the no rolls better anyway....Dwight

11. Stubby

Stubby New Member

State:
    Kansas, Ar
    Yellacat, You ain't doin nothin wrong if the weights will go on the line and you can frail them out in the water. them fish got no concept of pretty. :smile2: