Tip for livers

Discussion in 'Homemade baits' started by john barber, Aug 16, 2006.

1. john barber

john barber New Member

State:
    north carolina
    the other day we went out for some channel cats and plannend on liver for bait. the liver was working well but the water was moving a little fast those cats only had to barley touch that liver and it was off the hook. so we took and sliced hot dogs into about 1/4 inch sgaures and soked them in our liver bucket. after hooking our liver we also placed on one of our hot dog slices on the hook. when those cats knocked of that liver they came back almost every time for those hot dog slices. WORKS WELL:roll_eyes:

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

thanks for the tip. I don't fish many river but when I do I may try this.

3. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    this is a good tip thanks i will make sure to try next time im out.

4. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Cure the liver, works great and wont come off the water, even in a current. The library has some great recipes on it.

5. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Thanks for the tip bro. I will diffantly try it next time. Great idea brother.

6. treasure

treasure New Member

State:
    WA
    I tried fresh liver a few times with the panty hose wrap. That was the only way I could keep the liver on.

7. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Kemp,

I tried the pantyhose technique and gave up in frustration. The pantyhose fought me like crazy when I pushed the hook barb through! I found that I wasn't securing the bait to the hook all that well and the fish continued stealing the bait, or the bait fell off during the cast.

Instead, I found and used some sheer material such as curtains are made of. This works great! I could work the hook around the material until it was secure, run the bait up the hook, flip it over and run the hook through the center of the liver once again. The liver will not come off of the hook at all when set this way!

Just another idea! :smile2:

8. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I think that the cats like the hotdogs about any way they are given to them.

Aaron

TA2D

9. whiskers77

whiskers77 New Member

State:
    Southern California
    Some sewing thread wrapped around the liver a few times works well for me, I like the marinated hot dog idea too though.

10. tbartek

tbartek New Member Supporting Member

State:
    New Germany, PA
    If you buy a package of chicken gizzards you can use them instead of the hot dogs. They wouldn't come off the hook in a hurricane!:lol:

11. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Thanks for the tip.

12. cat tamer

cat tamer New Member

State:
    MO
    hey brother thanks for the tip

13. Mountaineer

Mountaineer New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Sounds like a good idea, I'll have to try it out sometime! Do just plain hotdog pieces work well for cats too? I've heard they do , just never really tried it.

14. Sentry Dog Man

Sentry Dog Man New Member

State:
    TN
    Good tip, John. Thanks

15. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I use cheese cloth and it seems to work well. Its cotton and is more envirofriendly than pantyhose. Cheap hotdogs work best for me. The cheaper the better. I have even used a bit of dip bait for added smell.

16. whisker

whisker New Member

State:
    N.E. Nebrasky
    Here's a couple good recipes,...they stay on the hook!

Recipe #1 Wet livers....
    Here's what we've been doing. ( We've found that turkey livers are tougher from the start and each one can be cut into 3 or 4 baits) Put 2 lbs. of livers in a 2qt. plastic container with a screw on lid.( I use a large peanut butter jar)....add approx. 1/2-3/4 pound of NON iodized table salt. Then add either a LARGE dose of garlic salt or a small bottle of garlic oil. (My buddy makes his using a small bottle of anise oil,..then we've got a jar of each flavor with us.) The salt will "brine" the livers in about 2-3 hrs. and toughen them up a bunch, yet they still stay moist to the touch.This recipe will last a long time without refrigeration. They really stay on the hook.

Recipe #2 Dry livers...
    Put livers on a slightly slanted cookie sheet covered with foil,… drain off the excess blood~~~ (put extra blood and small pieces in seperate container for chum) . Sprinkle Heavily with garlic salt/powder and coat livers completely with table salt . Let air dry approx. 2 hrs. OUTDOORS!!!(more or less depending on weather), flip 'em over and repeat. This puts a "crust" on them,while sealing the juices inside. Store in Zip lock bags. These dry ones last longer if refrigerated or stored in a cool spot.

17. uptoolate

uptoolate New Member

State:
    Canyon Lake, Texas
    Thanks for the tips guys.

18. kycatman01

kycatman01 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Like Whiskers77, I also use thread alot to keep liver on a hook. I use beef liver alot, too. It stays on the hook alot better. The hot dog idea is also a good one. I might give that a try. The catfish would kind of have a buffet on one hook. Thanks for sharing!!

19. Cat Bait

Cat Bait New Member

State:
    Canada
    them kidneys work great with out the cure try em and let me know what you think:big_smile:

20. gcarlin

gcarlin New Member

State:
    Richmond ,Indiana
    Thanks for the tip