tionesta

Discussion in 'PENNSYLVANIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by bigrob2530, Mar 18, 2009.

1. bigrob2530

bigrob2530 New Member

State:
    pa
    could some one tell me any good spots for catfish up tionesta or sports for any kind of other fish thanks alot let me know

2. catfish chaser

catfish chaser New Member

State:
    miamisburg, oh
    The lake is a really good muskie lake. I have never fished it for cats.

3. bigrob2530

bigrob2530 New Member

State:
    pa
    thanks man what were you using up there di you ever fishj the out flow ?????

4. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    Do you fish up this way Rob? I'll admit I've never fished the lake but I have fished the outflow:roll_eyes:... not bad, pretty good on trout-lots of other gamefish as well; a very diverse fishery.

I've had no luck in finding the catfish rumored to be in the tionesta/alleghany confluence. but honestly I've not tried hard enough.

Tionesta lake is supposed to have (besides musky); crappie, bass, walleye, bullheads and a sparse but trophy catfish population. Over time, I will be fishing tionesta lake.:smile2:

if you try it, let us know how it comes out.

5. catfish chaser

State:
    miamisburg, oh
    The outflow is a really nice fishery. Large amount of smallies and trout . i've caught alot of walleye there to and have seen a couple guys pull 40+ muskies from there

6. bigrob2530

bigrob2530 New Member

State:
    pa
    thanks man what sould i use these weekend iam gonna go up to the outflow ???

7. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    if your coming bring your tackle box and be prepared to be flexible... Water levels are coming down and water temperature is going up so its an interesting time to try it out.

Your best bet IMHO is to try something that alot of gamefish like and see what bites... golden shiners come to mind. just up the road is a gas station/subway shop/tackle shop. It actually has a pretty good selection of lures, equiptment and bait.

If I had to guess what would be in the biting mood, and assuming your hitting the outflow in the DAY (saturday or sunday), I would guess your most likely to catch trout. the outflow is a special regulations area and even if your not allowed to harvest, your definitely allowed to fish for them... but conditions MIGHT be really nice for it; water temps are definitely in a trout preferred range. don't count out Northern pike, although a big one (or musky) will need bigger bait than those 2-3" shiners.

8. catfish chaser

State:
    miamisburg, oh
    Just remember water temps are still pretty cold fish slow if using lures

9. nut

nut New Member

State:
    pennsylvania
    just remember last year on the first day of trout season, some guy from altoona caught a 44 1/4 lb musky while reeling in a trout he had just caught. that was at canoe creek state park.
    wish i could be out fishing this weekend but i'll be stuck here at work:cry:

10. bigrob2530

bigrob2530 New Member

State:
    pa
    fished the outflow the water was moving to fast and the only think i caught was a cold

11. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    A couple of guys who used to work at the fish hatchery in Tionesta used to catch some nice flatheads in the river there by town. That was ~15 years ago though...man, time flies!